PDA

View Full Version : I need a Megs D151 tutorial please

Billy Baldone
01-05-2012, 07:28 PM
hello I am looking to replace my 105 and keep reading about D151.Is it better,worse,different, than 105? Is it a good replacement? Do I still follow it up with my menzera nano polish? Do i follow with something else?
Thanks for the help
Billy

rider9195
01-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Hey Billy,
Are you talking about Duragloss #105 TPP or Meguiar's M105.

BobbyG
01-05-2012, 07:46 PM
hello I am looking to replace my 105 and keep reading about D151.Is it better,worse,different, than 105? Is it a good replacement? Do I still follow it up with my menzera nano polish? Do i follow with something else?
Thanks for the help
Billy

Meguiar's M105 and Meguiar's D151 are two totally different products.

Meguiar's M105 is an aggressive compound for removing some of the toughest swirls and defects.

Meguiar's D151 is an all-in-one product. This is a really nice product capable of removing medium swirls, oxidation leaving a gorgeous shine and a decent protective coating..

Meguiar's M205 is an ideal companion to Meguiar's M105 and finishes up to a beautiful glossy shine.

Menzerna has it's own line of paint correction products. These work superbly and will hold their own against the competition.

Menzerna Products (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-of-germany.html)

Billy Baldone
01-05-2012, 07:52 PM
So I really don't need to follow 151 with anything like I do Megs 105?

BobbyG
01-05-2012, 08:01 PM

That's correct Bill.

Billy Baldone
01-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Ok thanks,I have always felt 105 was overkill for 95% of what I do.

BobbyG
01-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Ok thanks,I have always felt 105 was overkill for 95% of what I do.

I wouldn't say that Meguiar's M105 is overkill.

Meguiar's M105 and Meguiar's M205 are two fabulous paint correction products that can be used to transform a finish into a mirror of a shine.

Many consider these the one-two punch of finish correction and the ones that others are judged by...:props:

I was trying to help you understand the difference between the two products and they're definitely designed to achieve different goals.

fr_demari
01-05-2012, 08:29 PM
It is true that the d151 work really good on mf pad?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

opie_7afe
01-05-2012, 11:17 PM
you dont need to use m105 for every car, if your just trying to bring up gloss while removing some swirls m205 will work wonders. you can also change pads to fit what the finish looks like. bobbyG posted some great information.if you like how m105 works for heavier defects then keep using it, if your looking for something when you don't need m105 then use m205. or if your looking to do a true one step then use D151.always have to judge condition of paint and make a product and pad combination that will do the job you are being paid for.if your not sure on what route to take when doing a vehicle do a test spot. as mike phillips says "find what you like and use it often".
my questions to you are after using m105 do you even use m205 or do you just use the menzerna nano polish?

Billy Baldone
01-06-2012, 04:58 AM
I usually just use the Menzerna instead of the 205.But I understand the differences,I guess I didn't mention I would prefer a quality AIO to handle the "maintenence" in between full 8-10 hour jobs on my personal cars.

BobbyG
01-06-2012, 05:37 AM
I usually just use the Menzerna instead of the 205.But I understand the differences,I guess I didn't mention I would prefer a quality AIO to handle the "maintenence" in between full 8-10 hour jobs on my personal cars.

Hi Bill,

OH, I see, no problem!

There are quite a few nice 1-step products available here. The only detraction I see for Meguiar's D151 is only available in gallons.

Meguiar's D151
Duragloss 105
Klasse AIO
Optimum Glaze Polish Sealant
Pinnacle XMT 360

Kevin Brown
01-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Good advice so far. :xyxthumbs: An older thread that may be helpful to you: D151 (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/37678-meguiars-paint-reconditioning-cream-d151.html)

If you substitute in the Meguiar's DA Microfiber Discs (cutting or finishing), the priming and final polishing advice is applicable.

Everything will just take place at a more rapid pace, and final polishing results should be as good or better.

2old2change
01-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Hi Bill,

OH, I see, no problem!

There are quite a few nice 1-step products available here. The only detraction I see for Meguiar's D151 is only available in gallons.

Meguiar's D151
Duragloss 105
Klasse AIO
Optimum Glaze Polish Sealant
Pinnacle XMT 360

I think that you will find there are a couple of vendors offering D151 in 12oz. and 32oz. sample bottles also.

Mike Phillips
01-06-2012, 08:55 AM

Just to chime in...

M105 is a true compound formulated, marketed and intended for use in fresh paint environment, i.e. body shops At least that's the primary market for this product, the fact that it works exceptionally well for an aggressive compound, that is it cuts fast and finishes out like a polish is why so many people in all dimensions of the car hobby like this product.

It offers no long lasting protection ingredients like you find in a wax or paint sealant as that's not it's purpose to protect paint. If it did have protection ingredients in it then it would no longer be a true compound but a one-step cleaner/wax albeit a very strong cleaner/wax.

D151 is a true cleaner/wax. It's for cleaning, polishing and protecting paint in a single step. Because it contains protection ingredients it's not "Body Shop Safe" but perfect for use in the detailing business where paint adhesion isn't a concern.

Both a very good product for very different markets.

The D151 is a SMAT product and this makes it versatile in that you can stop buffing with it when the defects are removed or you're happy with the results, unlike a diminishing abrasive product that should be worked until the abrasive have all been fully broken down.

Another good one-step, cleaner/wax that I've been using on my daily driver is the Optimum GPS, it's a spray version of a light cleaner/wax.

:)