PDA

View Full Version : Storing summer tires???

lucky472
01-05-2012, 07:20 PM
This is the first time that I've ever bought a separate winter rim and tire package. I ordered 16" steel rims with a Dunlap winter 3d tire from Tirerack and was wondering What I should do to them before I put them on, and also what I should do with my old ones before I store them. Does it makes sense to wax my new rims before they get installed, and I will also be cleaning my old tires and was wondering what the best way to go about that is and if I should do anything special. My garage isn't heated if that makes a difference

rider9195
01-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Clean the tires and wheels you just got and seal them up good! Makes cleaning them a lot easier. Even look into the paint coatings for the wheels.

Sunexim
01-06-2012, 01:58 AM
The best place for storing tires and steel rims is to find a dark place which is totally free from moisture and other garbage. You can also bag them once.
At the end of the day, it's the best you can do for the conditions:xyxthumbs:

soloz2
01-06-2012, 08:36 AM
My summer wheels were washed and then put in black garbage bags and put in my shed. I wish I had a better place to keep them, but that's the best I can do for now.

I would wax your new wheels before you install them.

Audios S6
01-06-2012, 10:42 AM
You're summers can be stored in your non-heated garage without a problem. R-compound tires are a different story - they must be stored in a heated space. Making a little dolly for them is nice. 4 decent casters and a some plywood makes moving them around very easy.

D_Nyholm
01-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Why do r compounds need to be in a heated space? I've never had a problem storing mine in the garage? Heck, mine are on the car right now even!

SkateForGirl
01-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Why do r compounds need to be in a heated space? I've never had a problem storing mine in the garage? Heck, mine are on the car right now even!
Mine too but they definitely dont do to well in this temperature lol They slide so easily

Audios S6
01-06-2012, 11:59 AM

Exposure to cold temps causes the compound to become prematurely hardened and brittle resulting in cracking and failure under loading. Hoosier, Nitto and several others are very specific about not storing or using at or below freezing temps. The last thing anyone wants on the track is a blow-out.

D_Nyholm
01-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Exposure to cold temps causes the compound to become prematurely hardened and brittle resulting in cracking and failure under loading. Hoosier, Nitto and several others are very specific about not storing or using at or below freezing temps. The last thing anyone wants on the track is a blow-out.

Ahh, i've never heard that before but will take your word for it! I bet if i search i'll find it, but i'm lazy. :) Good thing I've only used these tires on the autocross so far, car has too much power for me for the track!! :)