PDA

View Full Version : Tapikng of plasttic emblems?

Pages : [1] 2

robert1955
01-05-2012, 05:42 PM
OK Dumb question! What did the Chicken cross the Road. Answer to get away from Colonel Sanders!1 Ha Ha!!
Real question. Does anyone of you know what the procedure is to take off plastic glue on emblems while compounding using Swirl remover. how do you get in those tiny inserts inside the emblem with out removing it?
Is their a special tape I should buy?
Bob Geco
New Be

BillyJack
01-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Removing and reinstalling emblems is terribly time-consuming. I will only do it if there's a serious issue with the paint that mandates removal. Otherwise, I'll tape around the perimeter while polishing, then use some AIO or a cleaner wax with a soft detail brush to clean in the smaller nook and crannies.

Bill

SpoiledMan
01-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Bob a newb? Not hardly!

Bob, that's one that I've always wanted the answer to. Sometimes I just convince them to remove the badging and go stealth. Doesn't always work though. I just dot best to make sure that all the compound is out using blasts of steam. I'd guess that if the client is willing to pay that you could get in there with Q-tips and some polish. I've never done it but it does sound plausible for small areas.

BobbyG
01-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Hi Bob,

The stick on emblems come off pretty easily by heating them up with a hair dryer then slipping some nylon fishing line behind them to sever the adhesive. One removed you can clean up the remaining residue with mineral spirits or Klean Strip Prep-All.

Generally speaking, I clean them thoroughly then just block tape the emblem and work around them doing some close work with my fingertip and a cloth if necessary.

Rsurfer
01-05-2012, 07:55 PM
OK Dumb question! What did the Chicken cross the Road. Answer to get away from Colonel Sanders!1 Ha Ha!!
Real question. Does anyone of you know what the procedure is to take off plastic glue on emblems while compounding using Swirl remover. how do you get in those tiny inserts inside the emblem with out removing it?
Is their a special tape I should buy?
Bob Geco
New Be Like BobbyG said, just block tape the emblem. Your name Bob Geco, if it was an emblem, you would have a lot of paint to polish inside the lettering. Clean it with a boars hair brush with apc or steam and forget about it. Your eyes will not focus on the paint within the lettering, but on the emblem itself.

robert1955
01-06-2012, 02:51 AM
I remember trying to carefully with a heat gun on low removing some stick on factory emblems, some times it works other time the paint comes with it. One of my worst experience was detailing a customer's brand new Cayenne Porsche sports car. I when to care Fully wash around the emblem with a wash MIT and the tail section of the e came off. Now remember this was a brand new client who could squish me if he wanted. It turned out Porsche had a recall on these logos and that is what saved my " Dairy Air" he did not get mad but I was very up set to the point that I called every Porsche dealer in my vicinity to see if they had an emblem on the shelf to take care of the problem before I drove further into the detail. Drove everyone crazy.
So I am very. I am Very cautious these days and if the car is a certain age were the logo is not available I refuse to remove it. What happened to the good old day when there were clip on the back and you could remove the 450
Sl and unscrew the star?. They got Cheap. I guess that is why I like classic cars only!

Bob Geco

Rsurfer
01-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Are you using fishing line or dental floss when trying to remove emblems with a heat gun? I've done quite a few and never had the paint come off.

[QUOTE=robert1955;599393]I remember trying to carefully with a heat gun on low removing some stick on factory emblems, some times it works other time the paint comes with it.

Kristopher1129
01-06-2012, 04:47 PM
I've removed them before...but only cause the customer wanted me to because they were either broken, or just unwanted.

As for putting them back on...I've never done that. I've put NEW ones on...but they come with the adhesive already on the back. Just peel, and replace.

But, for me...when I'm doing corrections I usually just tape them off so I can get in real tight to the edges. Removing them is kind of a pain.

For removal, I usually use a heat gun, and a plastic blade for lack of a better term. It's not actually a blade...but it's meant to lift emblems, and stickers safely from paint. The excess can usually be removed with a citrus type cleaner, mineral spirits, acetone, or thinner. If it's acetone or thinner...just be careful, and make quick work of it. Citrus cleaner usually does the trick for me. :dblthumb2:

jsgntulok
01-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Bob a newb? Not hardly!

Bob, that's one that I've always wanted the answer to. Sometimes I just convince them to remove the badging and go stealth. Doesn't always work though. I just dot best to make sure that all the compound is out using blasts of steam. I'd guess that if the client is willing to pay that you could get in there with Q-tips and some polish. I've never done it but it does sound plausible for small areas.

I detail cars as a hobby so the time factor is not an issue with me. I often get a friend's car that has the emblems already "glopped" up with old wax. I use Q-Tips, an old tooth brush and Fusion to slowly soften the hardened wax and a thick napped microfiber towel to wipe away the Fusion and softened residue. The last car I did this on was an 04 Lexus LS400. First thing the owner noticed when he came to pick up the car was the "glop" in the trunk emblems were clean. He next noticed the dead moth caught between the package tray and the rear window was gone (tape applied sticky side out to a thin metal ruler got it out.

robert1955
01-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Feed back please I am looking to replace some Worden polishers. I have my eye on the 5 pound Flex LE403 VRG. Since I am not in the business any more . I am not concerned with a lot of power.
Please give me your thoughts . Hpoe to hear from people who have this polisher so I can decide what kind of investment I am making. I do like the options it has with a 4 inch pad and a 3M adapter and dubble side pads.

Thank You Very much
Bobby Geco

Rsurfer
01-08-2012, 06:42 PM
I like my 3403 because of the light weight. You need to use 6" pads or smaller as the unit will heat up using larger pads (7" wool). Not a fan of double sided pads.
Feed back please I am looking to replace some Worden polishers. I have my eye on the 5 pound Flex LE403 VRG. Since I am not in the business any more . I am not concerned with a lot of power.
Please give me your thoughts . Hpoe to hear from people who have this polisher so I can decide what kind of investment I am making. I do like the options it has with a 4 inch pad and a 3M adapter and dubble side pads.

Thank You Very much
Bobby Geco

2old2change
01-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Bob if you purchase a Flex here at Autogeek , they can build you a package with any backing plate and pad combination your heart desires for a fair price. Give Nick or Megan a call and they will treat you right.

SpoiledMan
01-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Bob, I have a lightweight Metabo rotary that's lightly used that I pretty sure I'm willing to part with. I just called your cell and it went to voicemail.

robert1955
01-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Feed back pleaseMichael:

Thank you very much for the name of your contact you trained. Michael Stoops. How do I get a hold of him and were does he hold classes from? Can you also provide me wit the list of classes for the year he is offering.

Sincerely
Bob Geco

shoeless89
01-09-2012, 12:26 PM
I usually just tape around them

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk