PDA

View Full Version : step stool,platform or scaffolding to reach taller vehicles

Pages : [1] 2

silvermesa
01-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Step Stools, Platforms or Scaffolding to reach taller vehicles (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/44855-step-stool-platform-scaffolding-reach-taller-vehicles.html)

I detailed my first vehicle last week and now have some thoughts on how I would like to make next time a bit easier since this is a tall 4x4 pickup. I used a step ladder last week and was thankful to have it but I always was worried I would push it out from under me or end up having it in the door when reaching out with the D/A Polisher to do the roof. This truck is a crew cab so I could only reach the rear half of the cab from the bed.

I have searched the net high and low for options and think these three items may be reasonable choices for tall vehicles and was wanting your thoughts? I have considered purchasing two of whatever I decide on to have one on each side of the car and to avoid dragging it back and forth. I am 5'8" tall and even though the 21" tall werner platform might work for me for this vehicle I was wanting one with just a bit more adjustment. Notice all of these go above the standard 21" height seen on so many units. Stability and ease of getting on and climbing off are important.Being able to store and move the units is important as well.

All thoughts are appreciated whether they are for these products or others.

1) Griots Garage Portable Detailing Platform and Workbench $169.00
Portable Detailing Platform & Workbench - Griot's Garage (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/portable+detailing+platform+workbench.do)

2)Cosco 3 step step stool 11003abl1 300lb limit $174.41 have seen for $30-40 less at other places.
Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cosco+step+stool+11003+abl1&x=15&y=12)

3) Perry step up scaffolding 5' 600 lb capacity. $323.00 can be purchased for appx. 50% preowned.
Step Up Scaffold - Scaffolding, Step-Up Scaffolding from Scaffolding Depot (http://www.scaffoldingdepot.com/step-up-scaffolding.htm)

Mike Phillips
01-04-2012, 11:37 AM
For most rigs something the height of the Griot's Garage unit would be more than enough, for taller vehicle, the Perry Unit looks pretty good...

The ladder/step stool works but not as good as some type of platform you can walk from side to side on. A platform style will enable you to reach more of the high surfaces without having to continually get up and down to move it along the vehicle.

:)

FourEyes45
01-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Of the three the Griot's looks the best...I have the Werner platform and its works for me.

time_to_shine
01-04-2012, 11:51 AM
You may be interested in this one..

4 ft. x 4 ft. x 2 ft. Roll and Fold Mini Scaffolding-GSM4B at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=202187702&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC-_-product-1-_-100658408-_-202187702-_-N&locStoreNum=577#BVRRWidgetID)

The Pro-Series 4 ft. x 4 ft. x 2 ft. Roll and Fold Mini Scaffolding is a versatile work platform, ideal for many uses and applications. Folding down to 4 in. for easy storage, it can also be used as shelving or a platform cart for moving items. The 4 swivel-locking casters offer easy mobility but lock in place for a secure foundation. With 2 adjustable height deck boards, this scaffolding gives you 4 different height positions. The galvanized steel construction and powder-coat finish provide weather-resistant strength and durability.

Galvanized steel with a powder-coat finish to provide strength and durability
500 lb. Working load capacity allows for 250 lb. Per platform
2 Adjustable height deck boards allow for 4 different height positions
4 Swivel-locking casters provide easy mobility and secure foundation when locked
Folds down to 4 in. for easy storage when not in use
Non-slip finish helps to keep your feet stable as you work
Weather resistant for use interior and exterior use
Included ladder provides easy access to the scaffolding and guard rails provide extended support
Osha certified
MFG Brand Name : PRO-SERIES
MFG Model # : GSM4B
MFG Part # : GSM4B
$79.97 free shipping to store location:dblthumb2:

2old2change
01-04-2012, 11:54 AM
I also have the Werner but the Griots is on my wish list. The Griots has the adjustable legs that gives you that little extra for those raised 4x4's. I'm 5'11" and the Werner is just a little too short to reach the center roof.

alko
01-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Of the three the Griot's looks the best...I have the Werner platform and its works for me.

:iagree:Werner platform worked great for me. Used it to wash/detail my fiance's RX350.

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
01-04-2012, 12:17 PM
We have something like this and love it (legs fold in as well) ... we got it at HD or Lowes but I can't remember which one and I can't seem to find one online so I'd say a trip to one of them would be a good spot to look its a telescoping scaffolding platform ours came with like a paint can tray that clicks on top

http://www.buildinginyourblood.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/FS13352-Xtenda-Plank.jpg

TLMitchell
01-04-2012, 12:45 PM
I, like many here, use the Werner Work Platform. IMO, it's the most cost-effective solution, with some caveats. You really need more than one. When not standing on it one tends to put polishes, pads, buffers etc on it. Then you need to unload it when it's time to work up high. One workaround is to do the high work first.

You can also find yourself working towards the end and stretching just a bit more than is prudent to avoid climbing down to move the platform. Not smart. Having two platforms end to end would be handy.

The Werner has a flat aluminum surface. I picked up a roll of adhesive-backed anti skid tape for the top surfaces. Cushioning the edge of the platform and the legs to prevent scratches is also mandatory. I used the soft hook side of stick-on velcro on all the surfaces that face the vehicle.

Someone on another Forum touts the Bauer 20900 platform. It has antiskid on the platform and a handy carrying handle. Compared to the Werner the price might take your breath away though! :eek:

TL

alko
01-04-2012, 12:47 PM
I, like many here, use the Werner Work Platform. IMO, it's the most cost-effective solution, with some caveats. You really need more than one. When not standing on it one tends to put polishes, pads, buffers etc on it. Then you need to unload it when it's time to work up high. One workaround is to do the high work first.

You can also find yourself working towards the end and stretching just a bit more than is prudent to avoid climbing down to move the platform. Not smart. Having two platforms end to end would be handy.

The Werner has a flat aluminum surface. I picked up a roll of adhesive-backed anti skid tape for the top surfaces. Cushioning the edge of the platform and the legs to prevent scratches is also mandatory. I used the soft hook side of stick-on velcro on all the surfaces that face the vehicle.

Someone on another Forum touts the Bauer 20900 platform. It has antiskid on the platform and a handy carrying handle. Compared to the Werner the price might take your breath away though! :eek:

TL

GENIUS!!! The soft loop side of velcro! Freakin GENIUS! I definiltey need to get some anti skid tape too.

TLMitchell
01-04-2012, 01:59 PM
GENIUS!!! The soft loop side of velcro! Freakin GENIUS! I definiltey need to get some anti skid tape too.

I believe the uhfishal Guinness-approved word is "BRILLIANT"! :cheers:

Don't toss the hook side. Cut in small pieces it's handy to stick on the underside of shelves to attach your pads to to get 'em out of the way and maximize storage space. :xyxthumbs:

TL <--- resident genius :D

Kristopher1129
01-04-2012, 02:04 PM
You may be interested in this one..

4 ft. x 4 ft. x 2 ft. Roll and Fold Mini Scaffolding-GSM4B at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=202187702&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC-_-product-1-_-100658408-_-202187702-_-N&locStoreNum=577#BVRRWidgetID)

The Pro-Series 4 ft. x 4 ft. x 2 ft. Roll and Fold Mini Scaffolding is a versatile work platform, ideal for many uses and applications. Folding down to 4 in. for easy storage, it can also be used as shelving or a platform cart for moving items. The 4 swivel-locking casters offer easy mobility but lock in place for a secure foundation. With 2 adjustable height deck boards, this scaffolding gives you 4 different height positions. The galvanized steel construction and powder-coat finish provide weather-resistant strength and durability.

Galvanized steel with a powder-coat finish to provide strength and durability
500 lb. Working load capacity allows for 250 lb. Per platform
2 Adjustable height deck boards allow for 4 different height positions
4 Swivel-locking casters provide easy mobility and secure foundation when locked
Folds down to 4 in. for easy storage when not in use
Non-slip finish helps to keep your feet stable as you work
Weather resistant for use interior and exterior use
Included ladder provides easy access to the scaffolding and guard rails provide extended support
Osha certified
MFG Brand Name : PRO-SERIES
MFG Model # : GSM4B
MFG Part # : GSM4B
$79.97 free shipping to store location:dblthumb2:

I use this one. It works awesome. I love the fact that it folds up, and I can store it out of the way. I use it on RVs mostly. But, when I'm doing a boat interior, I set it up within reach and use it as a platform to keep bottles, product, tools, etc.

Some may think it's sketchy...but I've put one of the steps on the very top. If you've got good balance, it makes you pretty tall, ha.

andrew b
01-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Don't toss the hook side. Cut in small pieces it's handy to stick on the underside of shelves to attach your pads to to get 'em out of the way and maximize storage space. :xyxthumbs:

ok, that's a great idea! :props:

andrew b
01-04-2012, 03:47 PM
I like the idea (and price) of the Werner, but as someone pushing 225, I'm a little concerned about being near it's load capacity :dunno:

alko
01-04-2012, 04:15 PM
I believe the uhfishal Guinness-approved word is "BRILLIANT"! :cheers:

I was just sitting here thinking..."the he!! imma do with the velcro"

why yes...yes you are the resident genius......you are now UHFISHALLY the resident genius!

silvermesa
01-05-2012, 07:10 PM
I like how the bailey platform looks! The manufacturer is in Australia and it does not appear they have any U.S. sources. I did send them an e mail 36 hours ago and have not received a reply.

Today, I stopped by Lowe's and Home Depot to look for the similar unit "Pockets" mentioned and did not see anything close. They did have the 20" tall Werner for $44.00.

I also stopped at Sam's and they had nothing close. Sam's did have the 225 lb rated Cosco Step Stool for around $38.00. They did not have the 300 lb rated version.

Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated. If anyone knows of where I can find a unit similar to the Bailey Platform pictured above in "pockets" post please let me know.

Thank You!:)