PDA

View Full Version : Will toppers kill Collinte 845 WDGPS

WRXINXS
01-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Hey guys,

I layered two coats of Collinite 845 on my Subaru and Topped with Meguiars #26 High Tech liquid car wax. Because it is a liquid, will the solvents in the #26 topper wax destroy the Collinite underneath? Would it do the same to WGDGPS?

Drew

Mike Phillips
01-04-2012, 11:28 AM
When I was at Meguiar's all their formulas were re-formulated to be V.O.C. compliant back then and into the future, any product that couldn't be made V.O.C. compliant for the U.S. market was dropped for the U.S. market i.e. M16

My guess is that M26 is a very safe, non-harsh finishing wax as it was before it was reformulated. Solvents in the product would be the least of my worries.

The bigger concern is just the act of pushing a liquid with some type of application material over the surface. This "polishing action" or "waxing action" by itself regardless of the content of the product has a "cleaning effect".

The surface of paint can only hold so much "product", whatever it might be before you reach the laws of diminishing returns.... you may have reached them after the second coat of Collinite 845

Not a bad thing but at some point it's time to sit back and admire the shine or take the car for a drive...

Also see this article,

Topping - Definition - How to Top also called Topping (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40089-topping-definition-how-top-also-called-topping.html)

:)

umi000
01-04-2012, 11:54 AM
I agree with Mike. I can see going for two layers of the same product, to ensure even and complete coverage. However, I've completely moved away from the idea of doing three layers of product A, topped with two layers of product B, then another layer or two of product C - I feel it's a waste of time and product. Of course, my two young children may have something to do with that - I'd rather spend my time with them than adding multiple applications of multiple products to the car (blashpemy! :D).

WRXINXS
01-04-2012, 01:53 PM
that article was a nice read Mike Thanks!!

Mike Phillips
01-04-2012, 02:25 PM

Thank you, always nice to hear something I write is appreciated...

andrew b
01-04-2012, 03:58 PM

:whs:

Marc08EX
01-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Thank you, always nice to hear something I write is appreciated...

Everything you do here in AGO for us newbies is always appreciated Mike!!! :dblthumb2: Thanks for everything you do for us.

WRXINXS
01-04-2012, 04:55 PM
I guess spray wax would be OK to use after every wash though?

Meticulous-Detail
01-04-2012, 04:58 PM

You could be a haze from wax build up if you wash and SW too often.

Mike Phillips
01-04-2012, 05:10 PM

Yes.

You could be a haze from wax build up if you wash and SW too often.

This is true too for some products and depending upon how much wear-n-tear the finish sees before washing and waxing.

Here's something funny...

Back in the old days, even before I was into cars... there was a fear of creating a wax build-up from waxing too often. That is a wax build-up is a negative thing.

Fast forward 50 years and now a wax build-up is a postive thing, it's called layering...

:laughing:

andrew b
01-04-2012, 06:57 PM
When I was in high school and waxing (with RainDance, remember that? One of the first cleaner waxes) my car almost every third or fourth day in my driveway, the man across the street kept telling me

"son, you're gonna wax the paint right off of that car!"

Luckily I never did....

Rix6
01-05-2012, 05:00 AM
When I was in high school and waxing (with RainDance, remember that? One of the first cleaner waxes) my car almost every third or fourth day in my driveway, the man across the street kept telling me

Luckily I never did....I still have a blue botle of raindance, it must've been from an xmas gift set given to me in '87 or '88. Wow, the last 24, years sure did come and go a lot faster than the first 16.

Yeah, who needed clay? I just cleaner waxed my car every weekend with a coat of wax so thick, it may as well have been a layer of clay. I remember hearing "you'll wax that paint off your car" a time or two. The paint on my car was at least a millimeter thick. I probably would have been ok compounding the paint every couple of days :buffing:

Oh, simpler times. :xyxthumbs:

Dirtyrango212
08-31-2012, 11:36 AM

Luckily I never did....

:wave: I still hear it if only I had a penny every time $$$$ ;)