PDA

View Full Version : Opinions - please let me know what you think!

Pages : [1] 2

Mg82
01-03-2012, 03:44 PM
After much reading and research I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. I've wanted to get into detailing my own vehicles for a while now but never made the jump - what convinced me was the last detail I paid for that I was not very happy with. If you want something done right......!

I have two vehicles - both of them are white - Toyota Camry and an Infinity Qx56 (like a metallic pearl white). I've watched a few of the "how to" videos and plan on watching a few more before I get started to ensure I am following the right steps and using the proper techniques as this will be my first time. I have included a list of what I recently purchased from AG below - Let me know if you think I am missing something or would change something around. I will be taking pictures along the way and will document my progress and steps on here along the way. Thanks in advance!

-Mike

I need to get some washing supplies still..... but the list (so far) goes like this-

16.9 oz. SONAX Wheel Cleaner

DP Detailing Clay & Lube Special

6 Inch Griot's Garage Polisher

Lake Country 6.5 CCS Pads- 6 PACK
- 2 Orange
- 2 White
- 1 Red
- 1 Gray

Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0
Duragloss Marine RV Polish #501
Duragloss Total Performance Polish (TPP) #105
Duragloss Polish Bonding Agent (PBA) #60
Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845 16oz.
Duragloss Aquawax (AW) #951

32 oz. Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel

12 pack Snappy Clean Pad Cleaning Powder

The products are somewhat listed in order of use. I will have to test a spot on the car to be sure but I was thinking I would use the TSR 3.0 with an Orange pad, the DG #501 & #105 with a White pad, and the #845 with a Red or Gray pad. Maybe finish off with the Aquawax - but definitely use after washes - between waxes.

Thanks again - Mike.

Meticulous-Detail
01-03-2012, 04:05 PM
After much reading and research I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. I've wanted to get into detailing my own vehicles for a while now but never made the jump - what convinced me was the last detail I paid for that I was not very happy with. If you want something done right......!

I have two vehicles - both of them are white - Toyota Camry and an Infinity Qx56 (like a metallic pearl white). I've watched a few of the "how to" videos and plan on watching a few more before I get started to ensure I am following the right steps and using the proper techniques as this will be my first time. I have included a list of what I recently purchased from AG below - Let me know if you think I am missing something or would change something around. I will be taking pictures along the way and will document my progress and steps on here along the way. Thanks in advance!

-Mike

I need to get some washing supplies still..... but the list (so far) goes like this-

16.9 oz. SONAX Wheel Cleaner

DP Detailing Clay & Lube Special

6 Inch Griot's Garage Polisher

Lake Country 6.5 CCS Pads- 6 PACK
- 2 Orange
- 2 White
- 1 Red
- 1 Gray

Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0
Duragloss Marine RV Polish #501
Duragloss Total Performance Polish (TPP) #105
Duragloss Polish Bonding Agent (PBA) #60
Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845 16oz.
Duragloss Aquawax (AW) #951

32 oz. Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel

12 pack Snappy Clean Pad Cleaning Powder

The products are somewhat listed in order of use. I will have to test a spot on the car to be sure but I was thinking I would use the TSR 3.0 with an Orange pad, the DG #501 & #105 with a White pad, and the #845 with a Red or Gray pad. Maybe finish off with the Aquawax - but definitely use after washes - between waxes.

Thanks again - Mike.

Looks like a great start, I like Megs 105/205 and not a big fan of the price and smell of Sonax. Have almost the same line up myself.

embolism
01-03-2012, 04:05 PM
sounds good

I'd add some rinseless and/or waterless concentrates in there and you are set...

Meticulous-Detail
01-03-2012, 04:12 PM
sounds good

I'd add some rinseless and/or waterless concentrates in there and you are set...

Yeah, skip the detail spray and go for Ultima Waterless Wash Concentrate+! Great stuff and very versatile.

SkateForGirl
01-03-2012, 04:12 PM
:welcome: to AG Mike

Looks like an excellent list so far. I would definitely add some nice microfibers to your list if you haven't so far. Cobra makes some nice soft microfibers. I love the Guzzler for Glass and Supreme 530/600/Gold Plush for wax, polish, sealant and QD's

I myself love Meg's 105/205 for polishing

You should get grit guards for your buckets if you plan on doing a regular wash and not a No rinse or Waterless.

Hope this helps and Good Luck. Cant wait to see your post in the Show N' Shine Section :xyxthumbs:

RFulmer
01-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Looks like some nice stuff.

Any reason your picking 6.5" pads over 5.5" pads. In general you'll have quicker success with 5.5" flat x 7/8" thick LC pads than the 6.5" flat pads and quicker still with either of these pads over CCS pads. But, some like the CCS pads. I'd guess your picking these because the GG comes with a backing plate for these size pads but in my opinion after using both 5.5" and 6.5" pads the 5.5" work much faster. All will give good results, it mainly comes down to the amount of time needed to get to those results.

The only reason I mention this is because I became frustrated and impatient trying to get some polishes to "flash" using a 6.5" CCS pad, but had no trouble with a 5.5" flat LC pad.

mark58
01-03-2012, 04:16 PM
First, Welcome!

My opinion would be to start simple. Get your DA and get a Meguire Microfiber system.
From there you can expand as needed. Once you use D300 you can hand apply Colonite 845 and your car will look great with 1/2 the effort.
just my 2 cents

dad07
01-03-2012, 05:06 PM
As some of the other fellas have said.........drop to 5.5 pads

you are going to love the DG products you have listed......501/105/601 mixed and coli 845 is a killer combo!

and :welcome: to AGO and your new addiction!

Mg82
01-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the welcome, tips, and responses. I went with the 6.5" pads because I read a few places that the GG polisher can spin them without a problem. I didn't realize there were other reasons to go to a small 5.5" pad. I guess I will run with the 6.5" pads for now since that is was is already on its way - but I would like to try the smaller pads like you've mentioned on the next go around. Thanks for the tip!

I picked the DG products listed because I read great things about the use of them on white colored vehicles and lots of reviews saying it really makes the metal flake "Pop".

Coli 845...... lots of people say great things about this product!

Mg82
01-03-2012, 05:38 PM
:welcome: to AG Mike

Looks like an excellent list so far. I would definitely add some nice microfibers to your list if you haven't so far. Cobra makes some nice soft microfibers. I love the Guzzler for Glass and Supreme 530/600/Gold Plush for wax, polish, sealant and QD's

I myself love Meg's 105/205 for polishing

You should get grit guards for your buckets if you plan on doing a regular wash and not a No rinse or Waterless.

Hope this helps and Good Luck. Cant wait to see your post in the Show N' Shine Section :xyxthumbs:

How about these microfibers? http://www.amazon.com/Eurow-Microfiber-Cleaning-Cloths-300GSM/dp/B003QUGPW8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1325630061&sr=8-5

I plan on getting some grit guards, brushes, and other odds and ends.

No Rinse?? Waterless Wash?? Do these work better or as good as the 2-bucket method?

here is the product that was mentioned -

Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate, concentrated waterless auto wash, waterless car wash (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-waterless-wash-concentrate.html)

This would be used in place of the DG Aquawax after normal washes?

Mg82
01-03-2012, 05:56 PM
I see the Optimum No Rinse wash now. Sounds like a nice product!

Those Foam cannons most def look like a sweet setup as well!

duck_commander
01-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Welcome Mike!

I too use the whole DG line of products and i love them! I think you will be impressed with how well the products work for the cost! Also, i'm not sure how frequently you wash your vehicles, but you might not want to use the Aquawax everytime you wash your car, if you are washing weekly. DG recommends applying AW once a month, just as an FYI. i don't think applying it more than once a month is going to hurt anything at all, but you'd just be using product when not needed.

SkateForGirl
01-04-2012, 01:29 PM
How about these microfibers? Amazon.com: Eurow Microfiber Cleaning Cloths 12 X 16" 300GSM - 36 Pack: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Eurow-Microfiber-Cleaning-Cloths-300GSM/dp/B003QUGPW8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1325630061&sr=8-5)

I have never used these so I cant say really anything bad about them. What I do is buy a couple of Cobra microfibers for using with paint and then I buy the 36 pack of yellow microfibers from Costco for wheels, interior, engine and other stuff.

No Rinse?? Waterless Wash?? Do these work better or as good as the 2-bucket method?

This all depends on how dirty your car is. I rarely ever waterless wash unless its a very very light coating of dust then I will do a QD but if dirt is on the heavier side like caked on then I would do the traditional 2 bucket method.

Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate, concentrated waterless auto wash, waterless car wash (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-waterless-wash-concentrate.html)

Well this is used in place of a regular traditional wash. You can use DG Aquawax after the normal wash yes correct.

andrew b
01-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Yeah, skip the detail spray and go for Ultima Waterless Wash Concentrate+! Great stuff and very versatile.

I second (third?) the UWW+ suggestion. can use it as a detail spray, rinseless wash, or waterless wash. I dont' do the waterless wash, but do frequently do the rinseless - fast and easy.

How about these microfibers? Amazon.com: Eurow Microfiber Cleaning Cloths 12 X 16" 300GSM - 36 Pack: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Eurow-Microfiber-Cleaning-Cloths-300GSM/dp/B003QUGPW8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1325630061&sr=8-5)

I just ordered those - for under $3 each figured it couldn't be too bad, and they have gotten some good reviews.

I have never used these so I cant say really anything bad about them. What I do is buy a couple of Cobra microfibers for using with paint and then I buy the 36 pack of yellow microfibers from Costco for wheels, interior, engine and other stuff.

I'm pretty sure the 36 pack of yellow towels from Costco are from the same manufacturer - they have them on Amazon as well, a 36-pack of yellow 350 gsm (http://www.amazon.com/Eurow-Microfiber-Premium-Cleaning-36-Pack/dp/B0031B4YU2/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_b).

How do you like them for general use towels?

This all depends on how dirty your car is. I rarely ever waterless wash unless its a very very light coating of dust then I will do a QD but if dirt is on the heavier side like caked on then I would do the traditional 2 bucket method.

This is what I do as well, with a slight variation:

light, "unattached" dust -> California Duster followed by QD

"attached" dust (like after having been driven in rain and drying) to light dirt -> rinseless wash w/ 1 bucket and grit guard.

Just plain dirty -> 2 bucket wash w/ grit guards

andrew b
01-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mg82 http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/images/autogeek/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/44829-opinions-please-let-me-know-what-you-think-post598119.html#post598119)

Well this is used in place of a regular traditional wash. You can use DG Aquawax after the normal wash yes correct.

making sure this is read correctly...the UWW+ is used to do a rinseless or waterless wash in place of a traditional wash - it doesn't replace a traditional wash shampoo.

Pretty sure everyone gets that, but it could have been read as using the UWW+ like a traditional wash product.....not sure that would work so well.