PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you do this?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dugdug
01-02-2012, 11:38 PM
The story:

Today I did an F150. Everything went well apart from the battery dying somehow. After I left, I gave the guy a call because I was unsure of the person who purchased the package for him because he was a living social customer and wanted to check him off my list. He told me that after I left, the battery was dead. This could either be due to his corroded battery cables or me somehow hitting a button or headlights and draining it. He said it happens from time to time with this vehicle. Although I'm pretty sure I would have noticed the headlights being on, to give him the benefit of the doubt, I could have somehow done something to drain it.

Apart from all that, he was happy with my work and will refer me to others. He also recommended I disconnect the battery cable from any future vehicles before I do any work on them. I thought about it, and it may be a decent Idea. It would at least rule out any mistakes on my part if something like this happens in the future.

Do any of you do this as a common practice?

Also, some pics for your viewing pleasure.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/374174_274161565970963_232640026789784_705827_7017 48803_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/388209_274161532637633_232640026789784_705826_7066 28157_n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/400943_274161589304294_232640026789784_705828_1520 862856_n.jpg

Kristopher1129
01-02-2012, 11:54 PM
I've never done it. I always keep a jump pack either at the shop, or in my mobile unit. I've had too many batteries die on me, ha.

But yeah, probably not a bad idea...especially if you're doing an interior that's gonna take a while. I find that anytime a battery does die, that's usually the case. Some interiors insist on keeping some sort of light on inside the vehicle. I usually just try to beat the clock, haha.

Truck came out nice, man. Did you sell an "in and out" package through LS?

Dr Oldz
01-02-2012, 11:58 PM
Truck looks great!

I always do interiors first. When I am done, I always crank the engine to make sure I didn't drain the battery. Rarely have I drained a battery, but if I do, I just put the battery on the charger untill I am completed with the exterior and then all is well.

Dugdug
01-03-2012, 12:00 AM
I've never done it. I always keep a jump pack either at the shop, or in my mobile unit. I've had too many batteries die on me, ha.

But yeah, probably not a bad idea...especially if you're doing an interior that's gonna take a while. I find that anytime a battery does die, that's usually the case. Some interiors insist on keeping some sort of light on inside the vehicle. I usually just try to beat the clock, haha.

Truck came out nice, man. Did you sell an "in and out" package through LS?

LOL I sold 2 packages, 1 wash/wax. Other with shampoo and polishing. In retrospect, I should have sold just the wash n wax so I can upsell them on the polishing and shampoo. Good thing only about 4 bought the second package. Most bought the wasn n wax. This one in particular was a wash n wax that I upsold.

Rsurfer
01-03-2012, 12:03 AM
Great job on that 150. If you disconnect the battery wouldn't you lose all the pre-sets on the radio, power seats and clock? Your customer might not be happy.

Dugdug
01-03-2012, 12:05 AM
Truck looks great!

I always do interiors first. When I am done, I always crank the engine to make sure I didn't drain the battery. Rarely have I drained a battery, but if I do, I just put the battery on the charger untill I am completed with the exterior and then all is well.

Yeah sometimes if the exterior is not too dirty I do the interior first wile my energy is the highest. Interiors can really drain you sometimes lol

Most of the time I wash/clay/wheels/interior/polish/wax.

Dugdug
01-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Great job on that 150. If you disconnect the battery wouldn't you lose all the pre-sets on the radio, power seats and clock? Your customer might not be happy.

I don't know... I think I'll just be more cautious and run the car every so often instead of disconnecting the battery.

Rsurfer
01-03-2012, 12:08 AM
I don't know... I think I'll just be more cautious and run the car every so often instead of disconnecting the battery.Good idea. Be your luck that the battery terminal breaks off. LOL!:props:

tw33k2514
01-03-2012, 12:10 AM

Correct. Not on all cars, but enough not to do it.

I suggest you invest in a jump box,

Dugdug
01-03-2012, 12:10 AM
Good idea. Be your luck that the battery terminal breaks off. LOL!:props:

It may cause more trouble than just a drained battery lol And you're right, losing power seats/windows/radio/clock isn't a good idea.

Dugdug
01-03-2012, 12:11 AM
Correct. Not on all cars, but enough not to do it.

I suggest you invest in a jump box,

:iagree:

Vegas Transplant
01-03-2012, 12:56 AM
Not on a paying job, but once drained my batts at a shipper while doing an interior detail on a W900 (4 hrs).Luckily was able to jump off using my reefer unit. Not a good idea to wrench on a customer vehicle imo.

Bacon
01-03-2012, 01:00 AM
Sorry, I didnt read your post, but arent you the guy who had your chick make you an apron? I think you even posted pictures of yourself wearing it! if so, do you like it?

If it wasnt you...my bad

C. Charles Hahn
01-03-2012, 01:48 AM
I would be VERY leery of messing with battery cables unless you absolutely have to. Make sure if you use a charger it is an electronic "smart charger" especially if you're working on a German. It's way too easy to fry expensive components of the electrical system if you jump or charge a battery the wrong way.

Dugdug
01-03-2012, 02:11 AM
Sorry, I didnt read your post, but arent you the guy who had your chick make you an apron? I think you even posted pictures of yourself wearing it! if so, do you like it?

If it wasnt you...my bad

Yes, it was me lol I do like it but I've found I don't get much use out of it. I wanted to be able to hold stuff and keep my hands free and pants clean. But a hoodie holds plenty and my pants? Well... who cares lol