PDA

View Full Version : I've got a lot of Klasse

Pages : [1] 2

zachusaf
01-02-2012, 07:05 PM
So after doing a lot of reading and a lot of ordering, I did my first rinseless wash today on my black F-150.

I followed that up with Klasse AIO, and then Klasse Sealant glaze. And man, did I go overboard apparently. I can see streaks of excess glaze everywhere, and man is it a pain to even attempt to get off. I'm sure its not the first nor the last time that something like this has been posted here. Lesson certainly learned.

But my question is this: Is there any harm to leaving the material on there? Trying to get the excess off by hand just isn't happening, and I leave on business for 6 weeks in two days. If there is some harm I could go out and buy a DA polisher and a microfiber bonnet I suppose.

Advice?

andrew b
01-02-2012, 07:10 PM
I'd say to get some QD and get it off now. If you let it sit for that long, it will be almost (if not literally) impossible to remove.

One tip I got when first starting to use KSG was to apply it with a soft cotton t-shirt (thin MF will work now) and if you can see it going on, you're putting it on too thick. You shouldn't really even be able to see it while applying it, and feel like you're rubbing it into the paint.

embolism
01-02-2012, 07:20 PM
if the excess is as bad as you say and the QD is not working, then you might also want to consider just doing a round of KAIO to take everything off.

You can then leave for your trip and try the KSG again when you get back

mikep288
01-02-2012, 07:26 PM
if the excess is as bad as you say and the QD is not working, then you might also want to consider just doing a round of KAIO to take everything off.

You can then leave for your trip and try the KSG again when you get back

:iagree: This is probably the best way to go, as the KAIO will at least leave a little protection for you, until you get back and can reapply the KSG (much thinner!) as mentioned above.

zachusaf
01-02-2012, 07:32 PM
If I were to use the QD, would it completely strip off the sealant glaze and the AIO I put on the vehicle (back to bare clearcoat) or does the QD just help in removing the excess?

I do have some Mother's QD that came in a clay kit.

BobbyG
01-02-2012, 07:45 PM
It's pretty easy to remove if you use some of the same product. Pour some on a cloth then rub over the affected area will dissolve it then just buff to a gloss shine.

I also thinned some Klasse High Gloss Sealant with detail spray which allow me to spray it. A couple of squirts and wipe with a Microfiber towel usually does the trick.

zachusaf
01-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Just went out with a halogen light. Sprayed on some QD and wiped, and excess Klasse started coming up in white specks . Although I dont know if its me or the light, but a lot of scratches are appearing. Dont know if its just stuff I didnt see before because of the light or something I'm doing by wiping the specks of Klasse sealant across the paint....

embolism
01-02-2012, 10:00 PM
wow, specks of ksg, you weren't kidding when you said you put it on thick... maybe soak the panel with QD and let it dwell a bit to maybe soften the specks?

unless you can see the scratches formed where there were none before, then I wouldn't worry too much b/c not too many black vehicles look good under a halogen light

Setec Astronomy
01-02-2012, 10:08 PM
If it were me I would just leave it on and fuss with it when you get back...especially if the car is outside. I'm not sure I agree with the comment that it will be any more difficult to get off then...many people swear the longer you leave SG on the easier it is to get off. Anyway, it's going to wear off eventually and if you leave the car outside for 6 weeks (not that I'm advocating that) the rain/snow may have removed it by the time you get back (just IMO).

EDIT: Are you sure it's SG residue and not AIO? IME, as hard as SG residue is to get off, AIO is worse.

zachusaf
01-02-2012, 11:03 PM
not sure if its AIO or SG. Assuming SG since I could see it built up on the panels. Didnt seem to have any issue applying the AIO although I'm sure I went too far with that too no doubt. I went out tonight and got everything but the hood.

Yeah, it was quite a bit. On some panels, after a wipe of QD, I could literally pile up the specks on the paint...as to the scratches, guess it looks like I need to buy a DA polisher sometime soon.

I'll see what it looks like tomorrow morning in the sun. Thanks to everyone who offered advice

zachusaf
01-02-2012, 11:07 PM
If it were me I would just leave it on and fuss with it when you get back...especially if the car is outside. I'm not sure I agree with the comment that it will be any more difficult to get off then...many people swear the longer you leave SG on the easier it is to get off. Anyway, it's going to wear off eventually and if you leave the car outside for 6 weeks (not that I'm advocating that) the rain/snow may have removed it by the time you get back (just IMO).

EDIT: Are you sure it's SG residue and not AIO? IME, as hard as SG residue is to get off, AIO is worse.

6 weeks? Thought Klasse was supposed to last ~6 months?

BTW, love the nickname. Spend any time in Chantilly?

embolism
01-02-2012, 11:16 PM
it'll last 6 months for sure, especially since you used the KAIO under it which lays down an acrylic base for the KSG to bond with.

I'm not worried about touchless washes this winter now that I've got the twins on. I'm actually hoping the harsh soaps will help me strip the ksg somewhat so I don't have that hard a time when I go to remove it in the spring.

Setec Astronomy
01-02-2012, 11:26 PM
6 weeks? Thought Klasse was supposed to last ~6 months?

BTW, love the nickname. Spend any time in Chantilly?

Yeah, maybe if you have 4 or 5 layers it will last 6 months...and a properly cured layer is different than unbuffed excess. And no, I'm not a real spook, I just play one on the internet...

runrun411
01-21-2013, 03:37 PM
It's pretty easy to remove if you use some of the same product. Pour some on a cloth then rub over the affected area will dissolve it then just buff to a gloss shine.

I also thinned some Klasse High Gloss Sealant with detail spray which allow me to spray it. A couple of squirts and wipe with a Microfiber towel usually does the trick.

Sounds like taste the hair of the dog that bit ya!!!

509IS350
01-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Sorry to hear that. Definitely use a DA with Klasse Sealant. Get a spray bottle and pour about 2oz in it and thats all that should be used. The DA helps it spread thin. One spray should cover a couple panels after the pad has been primed. I did two coats 12hrs apart to insure complete coverage.