PDA

View Full Version : Glaze recomendations

Pages : [1] 2 3

toycar18
01-02-2012, 02:16 PM
I bought a 2008 Black Toyota 4Runner a couple months ago. Of course the paint looked great except for a few minor scratches. Well now my paint looks like crap since the glaze they used has worn off. I know I can remove most of everything.

What product (glaze) would you recommend to hide the deep scratches?

ryanmcg1
01-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Meg's #7 show car glaze & PB's black hole.

rider9195
01-02-2012, 02:24 PM
The glaze won't fill in the deeper scratches. Only light swirls. The best thing to do is machine polish them if that is possible.

Mike Phillips
01-02-2012, 02:31 PM
If you want the results to last but don't want to abrade the paint, then use a good cleaner/wax.

Some glazes are water soluble, so even if they make the paint look good they won't last as long as an actual wax type product.

Best results from a cleaner/wax would be to machine apply it, this will safe time, (one-step), give you good not show car results and these results will last longer...

:)

Fast Eddie
01-02-2012, 02:32 PM
I use CG EZ creme glaze and Primo Amigo. But don't expect either of those to fill scratches, just light swirls at best.

toycar18
01-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Mike - It is going to get 15 hours of love or so with my Flex and some good polishes.

I just don't think I am going to happy with two decent scratches even after polishing. The dealers glaze hide them, so I would think any of the glazes on here would do the same.

silverfox
01-02-2012, 02:40 PM
I am a huge believer in glazes. With clear coats getting thinner and thinner, its impractical to do a correction every time you get a scratch on your car. There are two you only will ever need at this point...one has small correction ability and also a cleaner (Prima Amigo), and my new favorite glaze by Chemical Guys which is a great glaze with polymer enhancement that fills like crazy...two coats can eliminate all but the deep rids...its called "Glossworkz Glaze". Can be topped with wax or sealant. It was only available in Europe until recently...even CG web site doesn't have a link to it.

Autoality has it available. Apply with DA polisher, black foam finishing pad, speed 5.

rwright
01-02-2012, 02:49 PM
my new favorite glaze by Chemical Guys which is a great glaze with polymer enhancement that fills like crazy...two coats can eliminate all but the deep rids...its called "Glossworkz Glaze".

Did you see my review on GlossWorkz Glaze? I couldn't believe how much it fills! It's a little steep for a glaze but the depth and shine it leaves behind is amazing. I've only used it a couple times on personal cars just to experiment but think it would make a great addition to anyone offering a wash and wax package with no correction. I'm toying with the idea myself for reasons like you stated, a full correction is not always the best option plus not everyone can spring for it.

Meticulous-Detail
01-02-2012, 02:59 PM
I have been using Megs #7, but it is not easy to use and is geared more towards single stage.

Pinnacle XMT Finishing Glaze , Megs #5 New Car glaze and Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish are some good ones.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/43889-difference-between-glaze-pure-polish.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/4278-best-filler-glazes-waxes.html

toycar18
01-02-2012, 03:28 PM
I am a huge believer in glazes. With clear coats getting thinner and thinner, its impractical to do a correction every time you get a scratch on your car. There are two you only will ever need at this point...one has small correction ability and also a cleaner (Prima Amigo), and my new favorite glaze by Chemical Guys which is a great glaze with polymer enhancement that fills like crazy...two coats can eliminate all but the deep rids...its called "Glossworkz Glaze". Can be topped with wax or sealant. It was only available in Europe until recently...even CG web site doesn't have a link to it.

Autoality has it available. Apply with DA polisher, black foam finishing pad, speed 5.

exactly my thoughts.. Thanks for info.

toycar18
01-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Did you see my review on GlossWorkz Glaze? I couldn't believe how much it fills! It's a little steep for a glaze but the depth and shine it leaves behind is amazing. I've only used it a couple times on personal cars just to experiment but think it would make a great addition to anyone offering a wash and wax package with no correction. I'm toying with the idea myself for reasons like you stated, a full correction is not always the best option plus not everyone can spring for it.

Thank you

toycar18
01-02-2012, 03:36 PM
What about glazes that have longer durability? I will try the Glossworkz Glaze but a longer durability would be nice... if that is even possible.

jekyl05
01-02-2012, 03:39 PM
What about glazes that have longer durability? I will try the Glossworkz Glaze but a longer durability would be nice... if that is even possible.

to add to the above ?... would a wax on top of glaze help with durability?

Mike Phillips
01-02-2012, 04:00 PM

This is where the issue of word meanings comes into play...

A true glaze is a body shop tool and offers no lasting characteristics, that is no protection ingredients as it's for use in a fresh paint environment.

A lot of products with the word glaze in the name are not glazes in the traditional sense of the word but are either,

Polishes - They have abrasives in the formula and can abrade the paint in an effort to remove a defects "in" the paint.

Waxes or Paint Sealants - The contain some type of protection ingredient and are typically designed to be used after a polish

Sounds like what you're looking for isn't really a glaze but a cleaner/wax, that is a product that will remove some of the defects and a product that will fill in some of the defects.

If you want to simply remove defects then go for a true cutting compound or a Medium Cut Polish.

:)

ShineTimeDetail
01-02-2012, 04:30 PM
exactly my thoughts.. Thanks for info.

Chem guys has it to you just need to call them.