PDA

View Full Version : Using swirl finder on silver paint

Pages : [1] 2

2L8IWON
01-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Hello all, I'm a newb and my name is Jesse. For Christmas I got the Swril finder and the Wolfgang twins. As I prepare to detail my baby I am having a issue.

I am detailing my silver mustang and am having one hell of a time finding swirls in my silver paint using the Brinkman swirl finder.

On the black portions of my car I have no issues seeing the flaws. Is there a special technique I'm not employing? Also I can see swirl with the regular light.

Thanks in advance

Jesse

mamut
01-01-2012, 10:13 PM
you have to look at it at the right angle...had a hard time finding the swirls on my dark metallic silver mini

Porsche Pilot
01-01-2012, 10:47 PM
My best practice on silver and white is to darken my garage and then use the Brinkmann as the only light source. As stated above, use different angles and you will spot the swirls more easily.

alko
01-01-2012, 10:55 PM
My best practice on silver and white is to darken my garage and then use the Brinkmann as the only light source. As stated above, use different angles and you will spot the swirls more easily.

:iagree: I haven't tried this yet, but alot of people turn off the garage lights and only use their work light as their light source. When using the swirl finder look at the actual bulb reflection and not the light hitting the spotlight on the paint. I usually hold the light to the left or right of my head to see the imperfections.

I hope that made sense.

dougaross
01-01-2012, 11:18 PM
:iagree: I haven't tried this yet, but alot of people turn off the garage lights and only use their work light as their light source. When using the swirl finder look at the actual bulb reflection and not the light hitting the spotlight on the paint. I usually hold the light to the left or right of my head to see the imperfections.

I hope that made sense.

Same as above. I am not sure why this works. After I position light at an angle, I move my body and light not just the light

jekyl05
01-01-2012, 11:23 PM
side note... has anyone also noticed you see imperfections at the oddest time? walking out to your car during the day or at night... i seem to notice especially under parking lot or street lights?

mamut
01-02-2012, 12:02 AM
side note... has anyone also noticed you see imperfections at the oddest time? walking out to your car during the day or at night... i seem to notice especially under parking lot or street lights?

Yes! Only see them under street lights. We're on a detailing forum, we should never see any swirls, ever.

2L8IWON
01-02-2012, 12:53 AM
Thanks guys. Thus far, regardless of the creative approach I take I can still not see swirls in the silver with the "swirl finder". Pain of it is the hologens show them... Oh well, I'll keep at it.

So I tried the WG TSR tonight and I think I need more practice. I ran the PC at 5 and had noticeable results but not like I wanted. Tomorrow (when the fam is not sleeping) ill crank her up to 6 and "let 'er eat".

Thanks for everyone's tips, keep them coming.

- jesse

WRAPT C5Z06
01-02-2012, 01:07 AM
That's why having silver is so great!! You don't see swirls, scratches, dust, fingerprints, etc. On the flip side, silver is a PITA to polish because it's hard to see the defects and the actual polish.

shoeless89
01-02-2012, 01:16 AM
That's why having silver is so great!! You don't see swirls, scratches, dust, fingerprints, etc. On the flip side, silver is a PITA to polish because it's hard to see the defects and the actual polish.

I agree. I've detailed a few silver cars and I hate it because it doesn't have the same wow factor

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

Kaban
01-02-2012, 02:27 AM
It's really easy to see marring and swirls on silver or white cars. As mentioned, just dim the lights in your working area and put the spotlight at an angle, you'll quickly see all the swirls.

hoyt66
01-02-2012, 06:35 AM

The worst time for me is at a "bp" gas station on my way to work when its still dark in the a.m. Drives me crazy. Takes my mind iff the price of gas anyway. DA on the way so.....

BobbyG
01-02-2012, 06:47 AM

:iagree:

Silver is the easiest color to make swirl free!! :props:

After all, I should know! :laughing:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/1999%20Dakota/Detailing011.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/1999%20Dakota/Detailing010.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/1999%20Dakota/Detailing006.jpg

TLMitchell
01-02-2012, 07:25 AM
Yes! Only see them under street lights.

The worst time for me is at a "bp" gas station on my way to work when its still dark in the a.m.

Mercury vapor lights highlight imperfections. I had a hard time checking my work on white with the Brinkmann & halogens before using Opti Coat. I drove to a nearby shopping plaza and there they were. Marked each area that needed additional attention with a grease pencil and headed back to my secret Lair for a touchup before coating.

TL

Mike Phillips
01-02-2012, 09:10 AM
I am detailing my silver mustang and am having one hell of a time finding swirls in my silver paint

The problem you're experiencing is the other side of the coin in that because swirls are hard to see in silver metallic paint, it's one reason some people choose silver colored cars... because it's hard to see the swirls in the paint. The people that actually appreciate this characteristic in silver metallic paint appreciate it because they don't want to remove the swirls they just don't want to see them either.

And that's about the best tip there is for finding swirls on light metallic paints like silver or beige.

:)