PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm creating swirl marks...

Pages : [1] 2

snoby
01-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Hi All,
I'm a newbie with the DA, I just started testing out my new 7424XP with a Green pad and some Meguiars Ultimate Polish.

I attempted a test area on a 2008 silver BMW 535i. The paint is in really good condition with only very minor water spot etchings. I wanted to just run some polish on it before putting on the Klasse sealant.

After running one section pass I wiped down with a micro fiber cloth and it looks like I put in some minor swirl marks. I did take some before and after pictures, but on a silver car it just doesn't show up.

I stopped after the test area because I'm a bit hesitant of continuing. I'm looking for any feedback. Thanks!

jekyl05
01-01-2012, 03:09 PM
you will want to do more than one pass and if you find that the green pad is leaving marks after additional working time (passes) then i would go to a gray/black finishing pad.

other option would be to just go with the black or gray pad and stop using the green... least aggressive approach first.

snoby
01-01-2012, 07:24 PM
I tried again this time with the blue finishing pad and still got the swirl marks. I guess this polish is way to aggressive for the work I want to do. Although it is strange I wanted to take out some water mark etchings and it didn't take those out.

mwtaco
01-01-2012, 07:49 PM
pardon me if this is way too obvious, but are you starting with clean paint?

jekyl05
01-01-2012, 08:00 PM
I tried again this time with the blue finishing pad and still got the swirl marks. I guess this polish is way to aggressive for the work I want to do. Although it is strange I wanted to take out some water mark etchings and it didn't take those out.

can you breakdown your process of application? ensure you are properly priming the pad. this should help...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-articles-mike-phillips.html?highlight=priming+pad

snoby
01-01-2012, 08:12 PM
I'm starting with Pad's just out of the plastic so brand new. I'm priming the pads by creating an 'X' out of the polish then pushing the pad around the surface before I start the DA up.
I did do an experiment and put a microfiber buffer pad on top of the finishing pad and attempted to use the polish and I didn't get any swirl marks when I used the MF bonnet.

mjlinane
01-01-2012, 08:19 PM
I'd be leaning the other way. Non-Jet Black BMW paint is generally pretty hard. I might be thinking you are revealing swirls that you cannot take out with your combo.

Try IPA or Eraser and see if swirls show up.

slickooz
01-01-2012, 08:31 PM
pardon me if this is way too obvious, but are you starting with clean paint?

He means did you prep the car right before you started polishing?

Wash and clayed?

snoby
01-01-2012, 08:49 PM

Wash and clayed?

I did wash it but did not clay it. I will do another test area with clay first then the polish.
BTW the Klasse stuff is like concrete trying to get off.

slickooz
01-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Anytime you're going to polish, you need to clay the car first. If the car has not been clayed and you start polishing it, the pad will pick up any contaminant off the surface and create scratches/swirls.

mwtaco
01-01-2012, 09:11 PM

Wash and clayed?

yes. exactly what i meant. thx slickooz :xyxthumbs:

snoby
01-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try again tomorrow this time after claying the surface. Just for the fun of it I did clay a bit this evening and honestly I didn't pick up very much, however I agree I should have clayed the surface before beginning with the polish. Thanks for everyone's reply I appreciate the help.

mwtaco
01-01-2012, 09:29 PM
let us know how it goes

shoeless89
01-02-2012, 01:47 AM
I did wash it but did not clay it. I will do another test area with clay first then the polish.
BTW the Klasse stuff is like concrete trying to get off.

Welcome to the joy of Klasse lol it really is great stuff just not the most user friendly. I would do a search and read up on how to apply and remove it much more easily. Once you get the hang of it, it's much nicer to use.

snoby
01-02-2012, 10:54 AM
I did some additional testing and taped off a small area and once again tested the Meguire's ultimate polish glaze on an area and I definitely created some minor swirl marks and it didn't even get rid of the water etching marks I was looking to get rid of. At this point I'm going to take a step back and just put some paint sealant on the car and find some test cars to hone my skills on.