PDA

View Full Version : Self healing clear coat

Blk5.0
12-31-2011, 01:26 AM
Not sure if this is the correct spot for this , but anyone heard of this? I'm getting my front bumper and good reprinted and looking at this. Just curious can you still use wax or sealant on this type of clear coat and also will you be able to notice the difference in that clear compared to factory?

BobbyG
12-31-2011, 06:15 AM
I've heard that the Infinity line uses it but that's only what I've read. My understanding is that swirls and like defects heal with in a few hours in the sun.

I don't believe this is a maintenance free finish. It sounds like this technology helps with surface defects but it's not the no maintenance carefree finish some may conclude. You'll naturally need to care for it the same way as you care for any finish; wash, clay, polish, seal, and wax.

Impressions
12-31-2011, 09:06 AM
I agree with Bobby, it is not a maintainance free paint, it can be corrected just like all other paints but from my experience the self curing paint seems to be very soft. BMW started using it a couple of years ago on higher end cars. I was told by BMW that the car has to sit in the sun for a couple of days for it to self cure. The 750il I did was black and the procedure was no different than any other BMW i'v done. I do recall the paint being very easy to inflict swirls or even scratches.
The question is. Why correct self correcting paint?
Answer me that boy wonder

RFulmer
12-31-2011, 09:06 AM
NOOOOOOOOOO! What will I do with all this polish!!!

But seriously, this must be similar to the Xpel clear bras. I was told by the guy who installed mine that the Expel has the same clear that Infinity has (maybe full of bull, I don't know). There are videos on youtube showing the xpel healing itself. Just applying warm water quickens the healing process.

Video:

XPEL Ultimate Paint Protection Film / Clear Bra Self Healing Demo - YouTube (http://youtu.be/fUqzFvRw4-A)

FUNX650
12-31-2011, 09:54 AM
Not sure if this is the correct spot for this , but anyone heard of this? I'm getting my front bumper and good reprinted and looking at this. Just curious can you still use wax or sealant on this type of clear coat and also will you be able to notice the difference in that clear compared to factory?

Some Asian vehicles, as well as some Volkswagon models, used this self-healing paint (developed, I believe by Bayer AG) several years ago, mostly without the expected high achievement level purportedly it would bring. Don't know if it's still being sprayed at any OEM factories. Always a PITA to "detail", IMO.

I recommend having your respray done with the "usual CC".
You can always protect it with PPF, whether it's self-healing or not....XPel, to me, is the best of the PPF lot.

:)

Bob

pickles
12-31-2011, 12:02 PM
While shopping for an Infinity G37(haven't gotten it yet) I had the salesman explain this "self-healing" clear coat to me and he stated that swirls and minor paint defects didn't heal themselves,but instead were not noticeable in the light.Infinity stopped using it around 2009 because the feature wore out within a couple years and didn't work as well as they had hoped.