PDA

View Full Version : A simple enjoyable jaunt to the parts store today

Pages : [1] 2

Tundra_10
12-30-2011, 04:20 PM
It always fun and exciting to buy nice, expensive things or go to exotic places. Its invigorating to have those once in a lifetime moments and experiences. Unfortunately, those times do not come often enough and the days always seem to just drag by, giving you a feeling like you are running in place, not going anywhere and just getting more worn out.

I do my best to take a break from it all and just have a little fun, whether I go to sears and gawk at some new tools or go to a car dealership and look at new cars, anything that puts my mind at ease and lets me daydream a little or just forget about the stress in my life. I workout and I do have a few hobbies but they are part of my regular routine and therefore have only a limited calming ability.

I am not a bar goer, nor do I really go out to eat much (since I am single) or really get out much in general beside the grocery store so I do at times make an effort to be social, my social spot is my local autozone. Since I have lived down here in SC for the past 4 years now (going on 5) I have went to the same one for all my oil change stuff, whenever I need parts, etc. Its like my cheers and when I go there I am greeted by everyone and am usually there for about 10 to 15 minutes just cutting it up with everyone unless they are busy.

Today was just a typical day except I wanted to buy this microfiber nubby-glove thing that I have been eyeing for my wheels. I picked it up and noticed they had a box of clay magic clay and lube that was all smashed up. I grabbed it as well and took it up to the counter. I asked if I could get a discount on the package and the guy said he would give me 10% off. I figured what the heck, I do need more clay and 9 bucks is not bad for the clay and lube. After a little small talk the autozone guy asked me if I saw the self-drying car wash they had. I did not pay any attention to the comment since I probably have about a half gallon of various washes as it is. That was until he told me what it was originally priced at... $35. HUH!?!? I asked him to take me over to the stuff because I wanted to see what kind of wash was $35. Did not look like anything fancy, no crazy packaging, markings or anything. I did however see that it was on clearance for $5.99 and it also had a $3 mail-in rebate. He and I laughed about it and I said what the heck and I picked it up. Another associate of his came over and she instantly started laughing. She said that he found the wash in the back and after finding out how much it originally cost all he could talk about was that wash, for days. I was the first person to buy it and he begged me to come back and tell him about it.

I wish the receipt was more accurate but I did take a picture of it to show you guys anyhow. Please pay attention to the 2 discounts. One was for the clay (which by the way he accidentally gave me a discount on the entire purchase) for a little over $2 and the other was for the wash for over $20. Not sure why it was not $30 off, whatever. lol. I am assuming this is just a wash with wax inside it? I dunno, I will try it tomorrow. If its crap its going in the trash.

Its little things like this that occur from time to time that make me smile, as little as it is, it brings a little more sunshine into my life. I know a lot of you might be reading this and thinking... really, stupid $6 car wash made your day? And to you, I say "it sure did".

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp226/ysuboy/Forum%20Stuff/DSC00134.jpg

FUNX650
12-30-2011, 05:17 PM
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp226/ysuboy/Forum%20Stuff/DSC00134.jpg

O'Reilly Auto Parts in my area carries it at the same discount price you received!

Simoniz - Car Wash
Part # S5
$5.99 Each
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/SimonizeS5SelfDryingCarWash.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/41517)

Self-Drying
64 Oz.

Warranty Info:
Simoniz Self Drying Car Wash is a high suds, self drying, advanced formula car wash that contains UV blocking agents. "Lather, rinse, walk away"

What made my day even cheerier was noticing your 20 oz. Coca-Cola purchase....I don't know if I would ever get away from a auto parts store in my area if they sold beverages! :laughing:

Keep on having a good day.

Happy New Year!!!

:)

Bob

Tundra_10
12-30-2011, 05:19 PM
What made my day even cheerier was noticing your 20 oz. Coca-Cola purchase....I don't know if I would ever get away from a auto parts store in my area if they sold beverages! :laughing:

Bob

Thanks Bob, I do not know what it is but man do I feel parched every time I walk into that place or Lowes for that matter. Those drinks are so over priced there compared to the grocery store yet I cannot keep my hand out of the barely-chilled cooler lol. Nothing more refreshing then a coke on the way home to play with all your newly-purchased goodies!

tw33k2514
12-30-2011, 05:19 PM
WTH! My Autozone doesn't sell drinks....

Tundra_10
12-30-2011, 05:24 PM
^^Dude your getting ripped off! First thing I normally do is go to the cooler and tell them I am taking a drink. I am usually half done or completely done with it before I even check out haha!

dad07
12-30-2011, 05:29 PM

Happy New Year!!!

Bob

Its not a trip to parts store without a cold coke! LOL

I have a mom and pop store that I get a lot of DG products from.....when they see me pull up there is a ice cold coke on the counter waiting for me and then I'm always asked what # dg product that I am looking for.

Its nice to enter this place with the old hometimey feeling.....the good old days.....and for me its once or twice a week.

Tundra glad you had a relaxing time at the parts store!

Tundra_10
12-30-2011, 05:52 PM
Thank you Tim, unfortunately I do not have a mom and pop sorta parts store around me (that I know of anyhow). I would much rather give the "small guy" the business, however where I go feels like family to me now and even though I know they might not have the best quality parts compared to other parts stores its home to me and I know I am always welcome!

ryanmcg1
12-30-2011, 05:53 PM
On a side note how is that car wash?

Tundra_10
12-30-2011, 06:19 PM
I am going to try it out tomorrow. It was a little late getting back and I take my time washing my truck. Plus I want to hit the engine tomorrow as well so I wanted to make sure the engine was nice and cool, I want to do that first since there will probably be splashing around. I will post a quick thought about it tomorrow. I can only compare it to duragloss as thats the only nicer wash I have ever used but since its pretty popular at least you all will get an idea from a novices point of view.

Tundra_10
12-31-2011, 02:56 PM
Hey guys, for those of you that asked about how the wash works, I will not recommend it. To date out of the washes I have used duragloss is my favorite. It might be the mixture of the duragloss and the mineral composition of water that makes me enjoy it so much (if others have different opinions or results) but it suds better, feels more slippery and seems to last longer and go further (use less product) then any others I have tried.

This stuff that was talked about in the thread looses its suds very quickly, you had to use about 4 times as much (at least) to get similar sudding, it did not feel nearly as slippery. Ehh, it was worth a shot and it was fun to try. It did not cost me much so its not like I am concerned about losing some money. I will stick with what I had been using. I like it much better!

tw33k2514
12-31-2011, 02:58 PM
But the real question is...

Did it dry by itself spot free?

Tundra_10
12-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Well I used the flooding technique and my lsp is still holding on pretty well. The side of my truck that is facing the sun appears to be dry and spot free, I cannot see the other side and the hood and roof still seem to have water beaded up on it. I gotta hop in the shower and run to the grocery store before I go to work tonight so if some miracle seems to happen from now till then I will tell you, so far it performed as I would have expected a cheap car wash to perform.

detailer25
12-31-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading this.

Tundra_10
12-31-2011, 05:11 PM
^^ No problem, oh and an update. I have water spots everywhere haha. If it were not for the fact that my truck was dusty and dirty (they are doing construction around where I work) my truck would have looked better before I washed it with this stuff haha. I doubt I will ever use this stuff again and am contemplating throwing it away.

opie_7afe
12-31-2011, 09:44 PM
wow what a coincidence, just a few days ago i bought a box of clay magic clay/lube for 10$.....all the auto parts stores up there mainly sold either way old stuff(1960's old) or the usual stuff you can find in auto parts stores.at least i found some megs wheel brightener which ive been wanting to try....should have taken a picture of this one stores stock, i swear to you the same products have been in the window display for atleast 20 years LOL