PDA

View Full Version : keeping wax in fridge

Pages : [1] 2

embolism
12-30-2011, 10:43 AM
I've seen a couple people that keep their wax in a mini fridge. I can't recall what the temp was set at but I was in the basement last night smelling some of my products and noticed that my max wax and natty blue have shrunk a bit from the cooler temps. I could basically flip the wax out if I turned the container upside down (I did this a few times for giggles).

Just an observation. Maybe I'll put my jars in the fridge for a bit the next time I need to pop them out to do some waxing. Ordered some mf gloves so I can try it this spring.

Also noticed the top of my max wax seems a bit dry. The max wax container doesn't have that rubber seal at the base of the jar threads like fuzion, so do you think the solvents are drying up or am I worried for nothing?

Setec Astronomy
12-30-2011, 10:48 AM
I think it's more likely that your products have shrunk from solvent evaporation rather than cool temperatures in your basement. I'm not sure if people refrigerate their wax to slow the evaporation or for another reason.

glen e
12-30-2011, 12:12 PM
This is way off topic but after 20 years I figured out what keeps my big caulking tubes of GE II silicone in perfect shape for years....keep em in the fridge!

BobbyG
12-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Tim,

It's a proven fact that cold temperatures causes shrinkage.......;)

embolism
12-30-2011, 01:15 PM
I think it's more likely that your products have shrunk from solvent evaporation rather than cool temperatures in your basement. I'm not sure if people refrigerate their wax to slow the evaporation or for another reason.

well that's not good. I'm gonna stick them in some ziplock bags tonight...

FUNX650
12-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Tim...

I, too, am sorry to hear of your shrinkage issue. :(

With that being said...

Since I'm still in the process of putting on my "winter coat" (better known, according to the Wifey, as belly-fat) I really don't have room in the fridge for much of anything, except for vittles, of course.

:D

Bob

Setec Astronomy
12-30-2011, 01:30 PM
well that's not good. I'm gonna stick them in some ziplock bags tonight...

I'm not sure that will really do it, I believe a standard bag like that will probably be permeable to solvent vapors.

Ted S.
12-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Perhaps the idea (for refrigerating) is to avert temperature fluctuations when storing the wax for prolonged periods of time. I'm sure regular daily temperature variations can degrade certain qualities of the wax over the wax’s life.

I know here (TN) in the summer time, the garage can have up to a 20*F to 30*F variance in temperature. When the wax is only used maybe one time a month (depending on how many vehicles you own and whether or not you use other waxes), that is quite some span of time that the wax is being stored in unmanageable environment.

At least if the wax is kept in the fridge, the temperature variances are much lower depending on if the wax is kept in a crisper/drawer, and how many times the refrigerator is opened, and for how long the refrigerator is open. Plus these independent variables are easier to control, so long as the power doesn’t go out.

Im the MAN

embolism
12-30-2011, 02:03 PM
shrinkage hehe

I've always kept my stuff in the basement (in a room with no outside facing walls) which is normally cooler than the rest of the house

I think I've got some press and seal lying around that I'll wrap around the container openings. Hopefully that'll do the trick. It's how I store my dr. colourchip and it seems to be working thus far.

Unless I find a minibar at the side of the road I don't think the missus would take kindly to me buying something to store my waxes. And if I put them where the vittles are kept then I'd probably just as soon find them in the composter or recycle bin...

oldmodman
12-30-2011, 04:12 PM
I found the absolutely perfect environment for storage of detailing products.

A wine storage cabinet.

I found one being thrown out on the curb last year. It was a huge 108 bottle cabinet. They threw it out because the glass in the door was broken. I dragged it home and tested it and the door was the only thing broken. I replace the glass with an insulated panel and pulled out the wine rack. It stays at 55 degrees and 65% humidity
I did have to add freon to the system after about six months. It took 3oz of r-134

Dr Oldz
12-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Some waxes actually require refrigeration. Zymol comes to mind. The enzymes actually go bad and refrigeration helps slow the process.

feslope
12-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Tim,

It's a proven fact that cold temperatures causes shrinkage.......;)Is this for real? If so. please share the proof of this fact with me.

feslope
12-30-2011, 05:41 PM

A wine storage cabinet.+1 I use the same 55 degrees, no shrinkage and no apparant degradation.

pushtiulk
12-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Zymol recommend to re-fridge the wax after you open it. If the temp inside the room when you keep the wax is higher than 68°, you can keep it in a fridge to prevent melting. But, I think that this works for waxes that have in composition more carnauba. I don't think the Collinite will melt if it will be keept on 77°.

ShaunD
12-30-2011, 06:07 PM

A wine storage cabinet.

I found one being thrown out on the curb last year. It was a huge 108 bottle cabinet. They threw it out because the glass in the door was broken. I dragged it home and tested it and the door was the only thing broken. I replace the glass with an insulated panel and pulled out the wine rack. It stays at 55 degrees and 65% humidity
I did have to add freon to the system after about six months. It took 3oz of r-134
That is an awesome find! When I was a kid I never got the saying "One man's trash is another man's treasure." I get it now, especially with owning a home and a business.
That is a nice size wine cabinet. The repair cost would be way cheaper than a new one. Guess whoever threw it out was upgrading.:props:
When I started reading this thread I was thinking how a small wine fridge/cabinet would serve well for wax storage as well as my 1998 Brunellos.