PDA

View Full Version : GG6 & Backing Plate??

ski2
12-30-2011, 08:41 AM
My GG6 did not have a washer between the backing plate that came with the polisher and the attachment nut. Should it have one? When I change to a 5" backing plate should it have a washer?

Mike Phillips
12-30-2011, 08:44 AM
My GG6 did not have a washer between the backing plate that came with the polisher and the attachment nut. Should it have one? When I change to a 5" backing plate should it have a washer?

Yes. Treat the compression washer like gold. Don't lose it.

Keep the little rubber nut to lock it into place when not using that backing plate. It's probably more likely you'll own more backing plates into the future than less likely.
(The proof is you're a member of this forum. Just sayin...)

I have scads of backing plates in drawer in the studio and it's nice reaching for a backing plate and having the spacer washer intact with the backing plate.

So don't lose the rubber nut and don't lose the compression washer as it performs multiple functions.

Crushable Interface
The compression washer provides a crushable or malleable interface between two pieces of metal that are going to see a lot of pressure from being tightened together with a wrench and my guess is a lot of punishment from the operator. I punish all my tools... so it's not a reach to think others are going to punish their's too. Add to the above mix, the violent oscillating action of the tool on the highest speed setting and add to that t-i-m-e...

By time, I mean putting your polisher to work buffing out a car section-by-section, panel-after-panel. As Pros know and anyone that wants to get the job in a decent amount of time, when you start buffing out a car you have to keep the tool running and buffing on paint. There's no breaks. That's time of endured punishment.

Point being is you want and need the crushable interface between two pieces of metal on an electric tool capable of running at high OPMs.

Spacer
They also act as an actual spacer between the arbor or stud seat where there are the raised heads of a type of rivet or brad that anchors the arbor base to the the backing plate and the threaded portion of the Free Rotating Spindle Bearing Assembly (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23995-free-floating-spindle-assembly-story-behind-story.html).

Free Rotating Spindle Bearing Assembly
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/794/FreeRotatingSpingleAssembley004.jpg

From the below thread,

5 Inch Backing Plates for DA Polishers - Pictures and Links (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/questions-about-porter-cable-7424xp-7424-7336-griot-s-meguiar-s-dual-action-polishers/27193-5-inch-backing-plates-da-polishers-pictures-links.html)

Here you can see a compression washer seated at the base or seat of the 5/16" arbor or stud where it's attached into the backing plate surrounded by the raised heads of the rivets or attachment anchors.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/804/5_0BackingPlates06.jpg

So yeah... keep track of both the compression washer and the rubber nut.

:xyxthumbs:

mwtaco
12-30-2011, 10:06 AM
oh wow. i'll have to check mine...

Twister
12-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Mike is it possible to get new washers? I lost mine the last time I swapped back plates on my PC

Mike Phillips
12-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Mike is it possible to get new washers? I lost mine the last time I swapped back plates on my PC

We don't stock replacements or spares as a part of our inventory but I'll pass this onto Jason and see if it's a viable idea.

I'm sure you can probably find some type of compression washer at a hardware or auto parts store like NAPA, maybe even eBay...

:)

Utah12
12-30-2011, 01:23 PM
I have been having trouble keeping my 3 inch rotary backing plate with DA adapter from loosening when I use it. This setup did not come with a compression washer. Is this the problem or do I simple have to tighten down the adapter fitting into the DA more?

ski2
12-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Thanks Mike!! I double checked my GG6 and there in fact is a washer--I guess I missed it as it stayed on the backing plate when I removed it. I'll make sure to keep a close eye on the washers on the 5' and 3.5" plates when they arrive.

Mike Phillips
12-30-2011, 03:03 PM
I have been having trouble keeping my 3 inch rotary backing plate with DA adapter from loosening when I use it. This setup did not come with a compression washer. Is this the problem or do I simple have to tighten down the adapter fitting into the DA more?

Definitely get a compression washer for the reasons I outlined above...

:xyxthumbs:

Twister
12-30-2011, 04:04 PM
We don't stock replacements or spares as a part of our inventory but I'll pass this onto Jason and see if it's a viable idea.

I'm sure you can probably find some type of compression washer at a hardware or auto parts store like NAPA, maybe even eBay...

:)

Good idea Mike. I'll empty my detail bag again to check for it. If not I'll go looking for one at the store