PDA

View Full Version : help

BulletBoyz
12-29-2011, 09:20 PM
So here is my question,

I have a 2008 black jeep, i was able to compound and polish out all the swirls and scratches, using the porter cable, and the door looked great, then i lay'ed down a layer of wax, and i buffed off the wax, only to notice the door was scratched up again, i re did the door again,
and try'ed a spay on wax, same result, and on both try's i used brand new micro towels, any ideas
at this point, all i can think is that my clear coat is to thin, and that any pressure to buff off the wax creates fine scratches, no swirls.

cheers

tw33k2514
12-29-2011, 09:23 PM
what pad did you use to lay down the wax?

What brand/type microfiber did you use to remove it?

Could also be the oils in the compound/polish hiding defects. Did you do an IPA wipe before waxing?

What compound and polish did you use?

BulletBoyz
12-29-2011, 09:58 PM
I used a black lake county pad to lay the wax on, and a new microfiber cobra towel to buff off, i'm not sure what you mean by a ipa wipe,and i used, black ice compound, (xmt3,2 or 1 wouldn't work) also i did my rear door the day before, and it turned out great using the same procedure i used on the front. i wonder about the clear coat, because i can lightly run my finger across the door, and under the light i can see a fine scratch from my finger.

BulletBoyz
12-29-2011, 10:26 PM
My bad, black fire compound

tw33k2514
12-29-2011, 11:12 PM
IPA refers to isopropyl alcohol, which is used to remove oils from compounds and polishes for inspection and cleaning purposes.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html

Back to your problem.

It seems to me that if your process works fine on other panels of the car that it has to be something with the trouble panel, and not your process.

Is it at all possible that the panel you are experiencing problems with may have been repainted at any time?

Could you post a picture of the problem you are having?

Mike Phillips
12-30-2011, 08:58 AM
So here is my question,

I have a 2008 black jeep, i was able to compound and polish out all the swirls and scratches, using the porter cable, and the door looked great,

So far so good...

then i lay'ed down a layer of wax, and i buffed off the wax, only to notice the door was scratched up again, i re did the door again,

and try'ed a spay on wax, same result, and on both try's i used brand new micro towels, any ideas

This is strange. And you can tell the scratches you're seeing are caused by wiping, as in the scratches mimic the direction or pattern you moved the microfiber towel over the paint?

It's possible you could have paint so soft that wiping causes scratches, I've seen it before.

Just to double check, when wiping you want to fold your microfiber towel 4 ways to provide cushion which will spread out the pressure from the uneven surface of your hand, see this article,

Then when you go to wipe off the residue, for troubleshooting reasons, wipe a section using small, overlapping circular motions (with a gentle touch).

Then in another section, wipe off using gentle back and forth motions.

If you are in fact scratching the paint when wiping off compound, polish or wax residue you'll see a scratch pattern that mimics the direction you moved the microfiber towel over the paint.

Try the above to a panel and let us know what you're seeing.

at this point, all i can think is that my clear coat is to thin, and that any pressure to buff off the wax creates fine scratches, no swirls.

cheers

Doesn't sound right. The thickness or thinness isn't the issue it's the chemical make-up of the paint itself.

Usually the best place to do troubleshooting is on panels you can look down on like a hood or trunk lid. Vertical panels can be used but for "troubleshooting" purposes a horizontal panel works best.

Another theory could be if the vehicle has been repainted then you could be seeing differences in how the different paint systems react.

:)

BulletBoyz
12-30-2011, 12:28 PM
I will take some photos today, and i should ad, that the scratches show up with a halogen light on the door, i use it to check my work.

to mike, i removed the wax, the same way you mentioned, and the same in your videos, palm down, quarter turn to break the seal then spread out, works great. plus i do fold the micro as you mention, i will try again today, as far as i know the door wasn't repainted, i purchased the jeep with only 59000km or 40000 miles, from a dealer ship, that's not to say it wasn't repainted.

however i have detailed my jeep before, but never noticed this issue,
I will re post later today or this evening on this issue, with photo's.
Cheers

BulletBoyz
01-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Okay, so here are the picture's,
in the first one, under the halogen light you can see the scratches after i waxed, so i redid the door, and while orbiting the door, i noticed two spots where it looks as though it was starting to burn through the paint,i stopped working that spot, i was able the gloss that spot up when i was done.
anyway you can see from the rest of the pictures that after i was done, the door is like a mirror,( by the way i had a friend check the door, and it wasn't repainted)
here is how i achieved the mirror look. and yes that is a reflection of ice,in the door, this is canada eh lol
black fire compound, yellow pad, then repeat with orange pad, then black fire enhancing polish, then black fire paint protection, then black fire ivory carnuba wax, then a mist of surf city hot rod spray detail wax. in the sun no scratches appear. only under my 1000 watt halogen light. maybe i'm being to picky, i know there still there, and after seeing the burn spots, i'm still thinking that my clear coat is to thin, or soft.
side note question, how much clear coat dose a daul orbitor polisher take off, verses rotary polishing, is it the same, with just less of a chance of burn through? how many times can you use a daul orbitor on the same door before the clear is to thin? believe it or not the detail school i attended didn't address any of these question i now fine myself asking.
side note, i may fly down to take your course mike in the spring, i learned cut and polish in school, but after watching your videos for close to a year, i love the result of my cylco and porter, even if it takes a little longer, and less chance of making a big mistake.

BulletBoyz
01-01-2012, 06:17 PM
ps
thanks ben for the ipa tip, i ended up going with mineral spirits, worked well.

BulletBoyz
01-01-2012, 06:47 PM
oh, and the scratches did mimic my direction while removing the wax.