PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 7424XP Help

grandprix2plus2
12-29-2011, 05:21 PM
I recently bought the PC7424XP. I'm concerned that it's not operating correctly. Today I went out to put a layer of nattys on my car and whipped out a LC red pad with the PC. Primed the pad and put the speed to 3. I literally held it in one hand and let the weight of it do the work. The pad has a hard time spinning. I put a black mark on the backing plate and it simply rotates extremely slow. I actually have to pull up the pc slightly for it to rotate a little quicker. Does anyone else have this issue? Am I doing something wrong possibly. Any and all thoughts are welcomed.

mjlinane
12-29-2011, 05:23 PM
How big a pad?

For wax application, spinning really isn't necessary. That is a cutting want.

Mike Phillips
12-29-2011, 05:24 PM
I recently bought the PC7424XP. I'm concerned that it's not operating correctly. Today I went out to put a layer of nattys on my car and whipped out a LC red pad with the PC. Primed the pad and put the speed to 3. I literally held it in one hand and let the weight of it do the work. The pad has a hard time spinning. I put a black mark on the backing plate and it simply rotates extremely slow. I actually have to pull up the pc slightly for it to rotate a little quicker. Does anyone else have this issue? Am I doing something wrong possibly. Any and all thoughts are welcomed.

You don't need the pad to spin or rotate when applying a wax, only when you want to remove paint or in other words only when you want to remove swirls and scratches.

Bump the speed up to the 4.0 or 4.5 setting and you'll find the pad glides over the paint easier without that lagging feeling.

:)

Mike Phillips
12-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Pretty much everything you need to know to get the most use out of a DA Polisher is covered in my how-to book and it's on sale right now...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/discounts-specials/44650-art-detailing-paperback-12-99-w-free-bonus.html

grandprix2plus2
12-29-2011, 05:52 PM
The pad is the 5-1/2" size. Just thought from video's I've watched and seen that even when applying a wax I've seen the pad spinning. Maybe not. It still does apply the wax really nice and smooth though. Thanks guys

Mike Phillips
12-29-2011, 06:16 PM
The pad is the 5-1/2" size. Just thought from video's I've watched and seen that even when applying a wax I've seen the pad spinning. Maybe not. It still does apply the wax really nice and smooth though. Thanks guys

It's not vital when applying a finishing wax or show car wax. I find at the 3 setting it will feel like the pad is lagging behind as you're trying to move the body of the polisher forward...

Now if you were applying a cleaner/wax to a neglected finish you would want a much more aggressive pad and be on speed setting 6

Flash Gordon
12-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Porter Cables Suck!

Yours,

R. Griot

mark58
12-29-2011, 07:03 PM
+

ScottB
12-29-2011, 07:25 PM
did you install the washer ??

Malibulx3
12-29-2011, 09:34 PM
did you install the washer ??

Does the washer going between the backing plate and the machine? My black 5" backing plate already came with a washer, so is the one that comes in the PC box for the white foam pad that came in the box as well?

jreblackGT
12-29-2011, 11:54 PM
You can use the washer that came with your PCXP or the one that came with your backing plate. Either one will provide the clearance between your backing plate and the rivet heads visable on the PC. Regarding your polisher speed just turn it up to 4 to 4.5 and it will lay down a nice even, thin coat of wax for you