PDA

View Full Version : Noobie here...could use some advice

Pages : [1] 2

flawless
02-26-2007, 10:39 AM
Hey guys. I have ben lurking for a bit and just decided to join to talk to you guys about how to get the most out of my paint. I am not new to detailing, but alot has changed since the days of using wool pads and a high speed, so im somewhat new to the PC DA orbital and the newest products out there. I just got my dream car 05 Mercedes CL600 delivered from south dakota to maryland on an unenclosed trailer, needless to say I learned my lesson to always do enlosed. This was the delivery condition:

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/7937/picture363gk7.jpg

Ironically it was never driven in the rain before I purchased it..under all of that salt is some pristine never buffed paint. After a wash and some Meg Gold Class carnuba paste it got her to this:

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/1418/picture366wy9.jpg

Came out pretty good. After inspection under some good flourescent lighting it does have a few light surface scratches. I am using my buddies PC DA orbital this weekend and I just ordered some stuff from Autogeek. Tell me what you think: I was going to use XMT#3 on the deeper scratches and the tops, then use with XMT#1 on the whole car followed by XMT Finishing Glaze topped with WG Deep Gloss sealant, after curing top it with Meg Gold class carnuba. Thanks for the help guys!!!

ScottB
02-26-2007, 10:44 AM
nice lineup and design of products. I would garner up the $$$ to replace the Megs with Pinnacle Souveran paste and show the finish what is was meant to be. Be patient with buffing as the mercedes clearcoat is very hard so you will need to work it for a long while.

flawless
02-26-2007, 10:50 AM
nice lineup and design of products. I would garner up the $$$ to replace the Megs with Pinnacle Souveran paste and show the finish what is was meant to be. Be patient with buffing as the mercedes clearcoat is very hard so you will need to work it for a long while. I know thats the "weakest link" but i had a new tin sitting here and just didnt want to waste it. I was looking at the P21S and the Souveran...if it will really make it pop that much more mayby Ill pick up a tin. Yes the clear is very hard and thick, the nonmetallic benz black is very deep and almost glows...but it shows every little scratch and haze mark. Nice vette, Im a HP junkie is it stock?:)

Nuke33
02-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Deff switch the gold class wax to something better like souveran or if you want something a little cheeper Nattys Blue

Nica
02-26-2007, 12:59 PM
This was the delivery condition:

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/7937/picture363gk7.jpg

First of all welcome to Autogeek, you will learn lots from this place.

Now about your car, did I read this right....that is how you received it wow she's a dirty car ;)

With a vehicle like that and that color you need some Souveran, that stuff is amazing and it will make that paint wet and give it depth like you wouldn't believe. Another thing to consider is claying, claying removes all contaminants that it has been exposed to and by the pictures I'm sure it has some contaminants not only from the ride but perhaps from its previous owner.

The rims are really nice too.

You got your self a nice vehicle :applause:

flawless
02-26-2007, 01:11 PM
First of all welcome to Autogeek, you will learn lots from this place.

Now about your car, did I read this right....that is how you received it wow she's a dirty car ;)

With a vehicle like that and that color you need some Souveran, that stuff is amazing and it will make that paint wet and give it depth like you wouldn't believe. Another thing to consider is claying, claying removes all contaminants that it has been exposed to and by the pictures I'm sure it has some contaminants not only from the ride but perhaps from its previous owner.

The rims are really nice too.

You got your self a nice vehicle :applause:
Thanks for the welcome...you should have seen the look on my face as it rolled off of the truck. The previous owner had mulitple vehicles and the car never saw rain or snow, its a 2005 and only has 10300 miles on it always garage kept. It is ironically as smooth as butter although I do plan on claying it. Thanks for the kind words on my car and my rims. Interstingly the rims are "fake" AMG rims and although they look good they are being replaced by a lighweight forged rim.

ScottB
02-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Vette has been modded a bit ... check with Mercedes as depending on model you might have the newer ceramic based clearcoat which should make scratches harder to make but also harder to remove. Souveran is extremely impressive over black, yellow, and reds. I doubt you will be dis-satisfied any likely to ask why didnt I change sooner. Beautiful car ....

Nica
02-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the welcome...you should have seen the look on my face as it rolled off of the truck. The previous owner had mulitple vehicles and the car never saw rain or snow, its a 2005 and only has 10300 miles on it always garage kept. It is ironically as smooth as butter although I do plan on claying it. Thanks for the kind words on my car and my rims. Interstingly the rims are "fake" AMG rims and although they look good they are being replaced by a lighweight forged rim.

Yup, I can just picture your face :D
Wow you weren't kidding about the vehicle being babied, can't go wrong with that purchase if you ask me. As for the rims, really they are fake mmm...hard to tell...but then again what do I know...seems to me that it's getting harder to tell between authentic and fake stuff...well at least I have a hard time distinguishing.

Make sure you post pictures of the vehicle when it gets its new pair's of shoes and specially when you detail it. Would really like to see it because in that color it will look insanely wet :righton:

flawless
02-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Vette has been modded a bit ... check with Mercedes as depending on model you might have the newer ceramic based clearcoat which should make scratches harder to make but also harder to remove. Souveran is extremely impressive over black, yellow, and reds. I doubt you will be dis-satisfied any likely to ask why didnt I change sooner. Beautiful car .... Yes it does have the ceramic based "nano tech" clear, will the products I have be strong enough or do I have to use Mezerna? thanks

flawless
02-27-2007, 10:05 PM
can anyone comment on the above, please thanks^^^^

ltoman
02-27-2007, 10:36 PM
woah, i liked the rims too! fake. i did not even know there was such a thing.
still it is a hot looking honda! even tho it did not arrive as such!

Nica
02-27-2007, 11:27 PM
still it is a hot looking honda!

Okay babe, I have to correct you. That is not a Honda, no where near it. It's a Mercedes ;)

AUdakota
02-27-2007, 11:34 PM
lauren I hope that was a joke.

Nica
02-27-2007, 11:38 PM
lauren I hope that was a joke.

It's all good, we got her back :) ....wait I take her front you take her back hahaha joking..hahahaha...

ltoman
02-27-2007, 11:44 PM
hmmm. no wonder it looked so good.
holy crap am i blonde lately.
no, laugh at me. i earned it. i thought it was
gulp
an Accord Si.
yikes.
my apologies.
i am the ag village idiot!
lauren