PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Pad Washer

pixelmonkey
12-29-2011, 08:41 AM
Meguiars Pad Washer, buffing pad washer system (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-pad-washer.html)

A fluke of weather patterns has pushed the mercury into the 60 degree range, so I had the opportunity to work on a few things, and clean a few more things.

Several months back I asked questions and was provided with quite a bit of help from mike in this thread --->http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/discounts-specials/35477-universal-pad-washer.html

So now, here is a quick review from my use.

I think it was part of the special, but a small package of the Wolfgang Polishing Pad Rejuvenator is a strong citrus cleaner that penetrates foam or wool to release thick polishes, waxes, and compounds. (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-pad-rejuvenator.html)was containted in the same box. This stuff works better than dawn! IMO

The pads cleaned with the Porter cable 7424xp, 7424xp, Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher, Porter Cable polisher, car polisher, buffer, sander-polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424xp.html)
1 - orange LC
2 - white LC
2 - red LC
1 - green LC

Pads cleaned with the Griot's Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher Kit, Griots Garage orbital buffer, spot polish kit, motorcycle polishing kit (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-3inch-orbital-machine.html)
3 - orange LC
1 - yellow LC
2 - blue LC
1 - white LC

Pads cleaned with the Makita 9227C Rotary Polisher 8.5 inch Pad Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/makita-9227c-pad-kit.html)
1 - white LC
1 - orange LC
1 - wool

Cleaning with the PC was a pleasure. The pads were sprayed with a diluted bit of Optimum Power Clean All Purpose Cleaner 17 oz. New & Improved! (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-power-clean-apc.html) before seeing the pad washer. Just enough to moisten each pad, not enough to let them drip when turned upside down.
Each pad required around 1 minute to be cleaned and another 30 seconds to be dried. After spinning on the grid extention for drying the pad, a clean microfiber towel was used to soak up the rest from each pad. 1 16"x16" towel for 2 pads.

Cleaning with the Griots was a trick! The polisher was a bit akward to fit into the washer, and with the splash guard moved back to fit the polisher pad and head into the bucket to be cleaned, a nice splash of warm water was greeted by my shirt. That only happened once. :laughing:

Cleaning with the Makita was also easy when it came to the foam pads... same process and a bit more sling when drying, but nothing I couldnt tolerate. But then came the wool pad... I need to explain that the wool was used to finish polishing a work bench and splash of 6000 grade aluminum sheeting. Came out nice, but required quite a bit of heavy compound. I should have done something else to remove a bit of the debris from the pad before beginning. The washers clean water was destroyed to a soup within a few seconds of starting the wool pad cleaning. I actually went to the point of taking the wool to the sink and cleaning it by hand. I have myself to blame on this one, but would like to make a request.

Can we see a tutorial on the best method to clean wool pads?

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase and know it will be used quite a bit. I do however feel that I should have opted to use the money in additional pads before buying the pad washer.

No photos to use for this one. I was able to only eat a couple slices of toast yesterday while recovering from the flu. My coordination wasnt there to hold a camera and polisher at the same time.

chris<pixelmonkey>:D

BobbyG
12-29-2011, 08:50 AM
Chris,

Santa left me a Meguiar's Pad Washer under the tree Christmas morning. It's nearly identical to the pad washer available through Autogeek so I think it should be on par with it's performance.

There she be on the left..

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Christmas&#37;20Haul/ChristmasDetailingHaul201101.jpg

While the instructions don't seem to indicate adding a cleaner to the wash water I'll use the Detailer’s Pro Series Polishing Pad Rejuvenator asI've found it to work pretty well at cleaning up soiled pads.

Thanks for the post!! :props:

D.Acker
12-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Bobby, that appears to the be same Meguiar's Pad Washer I won through AG a few months ago. I use the DP Rejuvenator also. Works great! Wow, it looks like Santa was good to you.

I think both of you will be very happy with your purchases\gifts. Speaking of washing pads, I still have to do that after detailing my sister Rouge yesterday.

D.Acker
12-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Just wanted to add that if you have a "non flat" pad like my hexlogic pads, if you put the black dome on top of the grit guard that works really well to get up into the nooks and crannies.

Pad I'm referencing.

Before cleaning (no after shot sorry)
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj50/dtacker17/AutoGeek/IMG_13981.jpg

BobbyG
12-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Dave,

I haven't used mine yet so I enjoy hearing from those who have them! :props:

Thanks for the advise and tips! :props:

C. Charles Hahn
12-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Santa left me a Meguiar's Pad Washer under the tree Christmas morning. It's nearly identical to the pad washer available through Autogeek so I think it should be on par with it's performance.

That's because it IS identical.... the Meg's Pad Washer is just the Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer with different stickers on it. :props:

Mike Phillips
12-29-2011, 11:31 AM
And here's a tip for everyone reading this into the future...

We, (that's you and I), tend to be lazy when it comes to cleaning up... well maybe it's just me...

Here's my tip...

After a day of machine buffing and using your pad cleaner, even though your tired and dirty, take a few minutes to empty your pad washer and rinse it clean.

It's fast and easy when the compound and polishing residue is fresh in the bucket. If you let time go by the residue will compact and solidify, (to some degree), and washing your pad washer out won't be as fast or easy.

It's never hard but from experience, it's faster to do it immediately than to wait...

Do it immediately and you can just blast it with a strong blast of water
Wait and you might have to use some APC and a brush to scrub the internal parts

Also, letting the used cleaning solution and mixture of compound and polish residue sit over time and it can get a little stinky...

Clean your pad washer at the end of each day and I think you'll agree it's the best way to go...

:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
12-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Here's another tip for everyone that will read this into the future...

Tip...

Don't use your pad washer to clean your wax pads.

This would include your paint sealant pads or anytime you're using a cleaner/wax or AIO

The reason why is because the wax/paint sealant "protection ingredients" are not normally water soluble. Of course with the use of a pad cleaning solution the cleaning solution will help to breakdown and emulsify the wax/paint sealant to get it out of your pad but now it will be inside your pad washer.

Not a huge deal but if you have more compounding and polishing to do you'll be mixing water soluble products with non-water soluble products and it can make the water in your pad washer an icky mess.

First... if you're applying a finishing wax you shouldn't need to clean your waxing pad because you shouldn't be using very much wax.

Second, if you do need to clean a pad used with a finishing wax it should be at the end of the day which would be the end of the process and this means you won't be cleaning compounding and polishing pads again.

Third, if you're using a cleaner/wax on a neglected finish and cleaning your pads often in a pad washer then just be sure to use plenty of pad cleaning solution.

:)

pixelmonkey
12-29-2011, 01:33 PM
thanks for the tips mike!

I was rinsing it last night in the dark and thinking sure it nice being in the 40's tonight.

As for the wax pads after compound pads... good idea. I hadnt considered that effect.

After the pads were cleaned using the pad washer, the Optimum Power Clean was sprayed on the internals of the dismantled washer and rinsed.

have a best practice or tutorial on washing wool pads?

really curious on that.

D.Acker
12-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks Mike! Those are great tips. Though I must say I'm guilty of two sins listed.

1. I don't clean it out right away... I must have gotten lucky, everything cleaned out nice and easy.

2. I have used it to clean my wax (foam hand applicators) and sealant pads, but I do wait until all other pads are cleaned.

detailer25
12-29-2011, 04:29 PM
I always clean my pad washer right away, I always take it a part and clean it like pixelmonkey does his.

Mike Phillips
12-29-2011, 05:21 PM
have a best practice or tutorial on washing wool pads?

really curious on that.

Wool pads clean easy since the fibers are tougher than foam so they'll take a little abuse and the excess product easily breaks free as you clean the pad.

The key to cleaning a wool pad in your pad washer is to pump that pad against the Grit Guard Insert as you're running the polisher and then afterwards use a steel spur to re-clean the pad which will lift and separate the fibers fluffing them up.

I always clean my pad washer right away, I always take it a part and clean it like pixelmonkey does his.

It's sure faster and easier then letting time go by....

:xyxthumbs: