PDA

View Full Version : Griot's Garage Premium Carnauba Paste Wax

Pages : [1] 2 3

TheCougarGuy
12-28-2011, 04:05 PM
I just received the latest Griot's Garage catalog in the mail today and they have their new premium carnauba wax on the cover. Has anyone tried this yet? It seems like a good price for a 14oz can.

Nick, is this something you can review for us?

Griot's Garage Premium Carnauba Paste Wax, car wax, auto wax (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-premium-wax.html)

5.4 Shelby
12-28-2011, 04:12 PM
I got my catalog last night. Would love to see how it fares. I love the look of their Best of Show wax, but, it is a pain to work with. This might be the answer.

TornadoRed
12-28-2011, 05:02 PM
My first thought was it must be the same wax as in their carnuba stick but they make it sound like it is new.

Gunslinger
12-28-2011, 05:10 PM
My impression is that it's designed to be like Pinnacle Souveran in ease of use and performance. If so...and it gives the same results it should be a killer product...especially at that price.

As much as I'd like to try it I need to use up the Best of Show and Carnauba Wax Stick I already have...as well as some Souveran.

All three of those are superior products...it will be interesting to see how the new Griot's wax is. I hope someone uses it soon and gives it a review.

rwright
12-28-2011, 05:36 PM
For some reason my first opinion was - Meg's NXT :eek: Actually, my birthday is coming up this weekend so I'm going to put it on the list. I'm down for a new wax. :)

golliger
12-28-2011, 06:07 PM
14 oz. is a pretty good size tin. Looks like it might be wide enough to do this.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25725-how-apply-mothers-california-gold-pure-carnauba-paste-machine.html

With all the tricks people come up with to get paste wax onto a pad, I never understood why more mfr's don't just make wider containers.

opie_7afe
12-28-2011, 06:10 PM
its on the AG page now, i find their description of the wax kind of off, i highly doubt it takes 1oz of a paste wax to wax a car. says you can get up to 14 applications from a can i'm betting you will get double that.

TornadoRed
12-28-2011, 06:41 PM
its on the AG page now, i find their description of the wax kind of off, i highly doubt it takes 1oz of a paste wax to wax a car. says you can get up to 14 applications from a can i'm betting you will get double that.

Maybe it's like an EULA and you only have a license to apply to no more than 14 different vehicles. :dunno: You can do multiple coats but once you apply it to the 15th vehicle, the Feds will lock you up! :bat:

Gunslinger
12-28-2011, 06:59 PM

That's similar to Souveran. That takes less than an ounce to wax a car and the directions say it should get 30-35 cars done from a can. It sounds more and more like the new Griot's is designed to be a Souveran-killer.

rwright
12-28-2011, 07:11 PM
I'm pretty curious about this one actually. Griot's offers a complete kit and I wonder if Autogeek will do the same? I absolutely love the Griot's Wax Removal Towels and a Polishin Pal would be neat to have. Hmm....

Setec Astronomy
12-28-2011, 07:17 PM
It doesn't sound great to me...if you leave it on too long you can't buff it off and have to apply more wax to remove it??

Gunslinger
12-28-2011, 08:24 PM
It doesn't sound great to me...if you leave it on too long you can't buff it off and have to apply more wax to remove it??

That's necessary to do when you either 1) apply the wax too thick; 2) apply the wax in high heat and humidity or 3) both. It's not just Griot's wax that can do that but many, many carnauba waxes. It's pretty much one of the characteristics of carnauba. Some wax makers add other chemicals to reduce that...some more successfully than others. I've found Griot's Best of Show Wax gives a beautiful appearance and is pretty durable, but it can be a bit of a pain if you don't use it exactly according to instructions. The results are worth the effort, though.

Look at Souveran...it's very, very easy to use and take off...but it has little durability. That may be one of the trade-offs for the superb appearance...short life. I'm guessing the new Griot's is trying to split the difference between durability and appearance.

zkeeper
12-28-2011, 08:44 PM
:iagree: Spot on. Use any of the carbnubies wrong and its work time--we all know that. The Best of show actually works best [no flames here] if I mist the surface with some water...and work it till you can't see it. I then go back for a layering. Thats what they recco and it works. We Ami's like the haze...guess it always made us feel like it was ON there. But the thinner BoShow works nice and lasts when suuuper thin. Am anxious to try the new wax. It's going to be on its way this week.

KneeDragr
12-28-2011, 10:05 PM
I will probably give this stuff a try this spring. Gonna leave the FK1000p on until then.

rakkvet
12-29-2011, 12:35 AM
We got some through a "be the first to try offer." It smells great It's easier to use than the Carnuba Stick. We haven't used it much. I will post a better review in a day or two.