PDA

View Full Version : Removing scuffs from plastic

Pages : [1] 2

r_egan
12-27-2011, 09:39 PM
I recently purchased a used car that has some scuffing on the plastic trim on the base of the driver's seat. Any sugguestions as to how to remove the scuffs?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/r_egan/IMG_2449.jpg

Flash Gordon
12-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Try APC on a rag, if that don't work, try APC on a Magic Eraser. Be very gentle with the Magic Eraser

If neither of these options work, its permanent

tw33k2514
12-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Try APC on a rag, if that don't work, try APC on a Magic Eraser. Be very gentle with the Magic Eraser

If neither of these options work, its permanent

:iagree: and when he says be careful...be CAREFUL. Like you are rubbing it on a baby...

r_egan
12-27-2011, 09:54 PM
I assume that APC is all purpose cleaner? Any preferred brand?

Somebody told me to try lighter fluid (naphtha)?

tw33k2514
12-27-2011, 09:58 PM
I assume that APC is all purpose cleaner? Any preferred brand?

Somebody told me to try lighter fluid (naphtha)?

I like Meguiars APC+ personally.

Idk about the lighter fluid.... I would just not try that.

Porsche Pilot
12-27-2011, 10:00 PM
+1 on Magic Eraser...non bleach kind.

RFulmer
12-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Yes, pretty much any APC and a magic eraser. Be gentle, the ME is doing what sand paper does and if you rub too hard you'll burnish the finish.

Flash Gordon
12-27-2011, 10:41 PM
ISomebody told me to try lighter fluid (naphtha)?

Lighter fluid is an old school trick. Haven't heard that one in a long time

Its going to be tuff to prevent this marks in the future from causing permanent damage

pital
12-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Same issue on mine, 335i....let mthe car.e know if you have any luck for the most part I don't don't ever notice it unread looking down when getting in

Flash Gordon
12-27-2011, 11:40 PM
Same issue on mine, 335i....let mthe car.e know if you have any luck for the most part I don't don't ever notice it unread looking down when getting in

Slap an Autogeek sticker over it and forget about it

Black Car
12-28-2011, 09:11 AM
I've seen someone on another forum use a dedicated leather cleaner in a metal like tube. It worked really well, unfortunately I forget where I saw it...useful I know.

Meticulous-Detail
12-28-2011, 09:54 AM
I recently purchased a used car that has some scuffing on the plastic trim on the base of the driver's seat. Any sugguestions as to how to remove the scuffs?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/r_egan/IMG_2449.jpg

I have done this before; if nothing works get a matching permanent black magic marker and fill in the scratch. Then take a MF towel and lightly rub the area to blend in. Hope this helps.

DLB
12-28-2011, 10:35 AM
+1 on the Magic Eraser and All Purpose Cleaner. If you are looking for a local APC to try prior to buying Meg's APC+ or Optimum Power Clean (my two faves) try LA Totally Awesome cleaner. It is commonly available at Dollar General I believe.

DLB

richy
12-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Nothing wrong with the above mentioned solutions, per se, but I'm going to recommend a tool to you that will make your life much, much easier in terms of interior detailing.

AutoGlym makes an interior cleaning pad that in all honesty should not work nearly as well as it does. There's not that much different about it. BUT, it does work, and it works extemely well at cleaning plastic. If you have grooves in your plastic, obviously you can't flatten them out, but you will be able to clean them so well that they are much less noticeable. You just spray the APC on it (Ive used both Zep Citrus and Optimum's with great results) and agitate and wipe off. Steam to finish for the win if you have one.

Nothing cleans plastic better. Nothing.

Twister
12-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Richy are you talking about the red palm applicator?