View Full Version : Dilute tire gel??

szjalo
12-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Hi all, hope you just had a wonderful Christmas,

I am thinking about diluting my tire gel now, because:
1\ wanna less glose
2\ save more products
3\ easier to apply

Do you think it's a good idea to dilute the tire gel?

If it's OK, then I wonder what solvent to use for diluting? I don't know water is appropriate, since the gel is supposed to be hydrophobic when it's on tire(correct me if I am wrong)? so is water a proper solvent? or maybe 50% alcohol?

Feed back please thanks a lot!

A4 1.8tqm
12-27-2011, 01:48 PM
What tire gel?

Flannigan
12-27-2011, 02:03 PM
If it's a water based gel you can cut it with water 50/50. People have done it with DP and Optibond with great results. However, usually it doesn't affect the gloss all that much. If you truely want something low gloss I think you need to look for a low gloss product from the start (Dodo Tyromania, Muc Off Tire Dressing).

opie_7afe
12-27-2011, 02:55 PM
i would not dilute any product unless it says to do so because it can effect the chemical make up in a negative way.as flannigan said if you want less gloss use a non glossy tire dressing, if you want to dilute it get a tire dressing that is able to be diluted.

tw33k2514
12-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Great advice so far.

I am curious what Tire Gel you are speaking of? That would help us out a lot in giving you a recommendation.

szjalo
12-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks all, I m using several tire gels. most are Megs, like hot rim, endurance, etc. I have a tire applicator pad which sucks a lot of products and makes the first few applications difficult.

I am thinking if its possible to damp the applicator and then apply the gel on to it? so when I cross the pad on the tire the water lubes a little bit and prevents absorption to some extent?

Black Car
12-27-2011, 04:55 PM
I'm pretty sure the endurance is not a water based gel