PDA

View Full Version : Sign-up - 1989 K5 Blazer - Wetsand, Cut and Buff - Saturday February 4th

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Mike Phillips
12-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Sign-up - 1989 K5 Blazer - Wetsand, Cut and Buff - Saturday February 4th (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/sign-up-autogeek-s-car-week/44562-sign-up-1989-k5-blazer-wetsand-cut-buff-saturday-february-4th.html)

My good friend Jay just sent me pictures of his 1989 K5 Blazer which is getting a custom paint job and then some new upgrades.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1325/1989Blazer01.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1325/1989Blazer02.jpg

Because he's my friend and like me a fan of Chevy Blazers, I've offered to give him a hand with the sanding, cutting and buffing of the new paint job. You can hire the best painter in the world to spray the paint but here's the facts and you can quote me on this...

It's the person that does the wetsanding, cutting and buffing that makes or breaks the paint job

Since his Blazer will have a brand new paint job at the time we film our first week's show I'm thinking we can share tips on how to use some our sponsors products that go with a project like this,

Lake Country - Wool Cutting Pads and Foam Polishing Pads
Menzerna - Compounds and Polishes
Optimum - Compounds and Polishes
Grit Guard - Universal Detailing Cart and Pad Cleaner
Cyclo Tools - Machine polishing for a swirl free finish
Poor Boys - Compounds and Polishes
RaggTopp - Protect the vinyl top

I know there's a lot of Car Guys in the car world that want to know how to do this step right because you really only have once chance.

Plus, here at Autogeek we carry everything a person needs to wetsand, cut and polish fresh paint to a show car finish, which is what Jay's always wanted for his Blazer.

Rotary buffers
Wool Cutting Pads
Cutting Compounds
Polishes
Foam pads
DA Polisher
Air DA's for machine sanding
Electric DA's for machine sanding
Sanding Discs
Hand sanding papers and backing pads
Masking tape
Cover-up Towels

Besides carrying everything you need for this kind of custom work, we also have the facilities to showcase this kind of project for others to duplicate in their garage.

Here's the deal...
There's no way to show how to wetsand, cut and buff an entire truck in a 1/2 hour TV show for a couple of reasons,

1. A half hour TV show is only 20 minutes of actual content

2. The 20 minutes we do have will be divided into 5 minute segments

So realistically there's no way to show how to wetsand, cut and buff an entire truck in 5 minutes.

But... we can share some tips on how to do this and then have a how-to article with our entire step-by-step process on our forum where the audience can be directed to for the complete information needed as well as products to do this kind of project right the first time.

Opportunity
This means that we're going to need to sand and buff this on a weekend where I'll have the time to document the procedures with pictures for the article. This will also be a opportunity for a few select people to learn help out.

The only other instance I've ever seen this offered via a detailing discussion forum was when we offered it at the Advanced Detailing 102 Class last summer....

Pictures & Comments from July 10th, 2011 Sunday Detailing 102 - Advanced Class (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-sunday-detailing-102-advanced-class/38253-pictures-comments-july-10th-2011-sunday-detailing-102-advanced-class.html)

As I look over my calender, the only date that will work to do this project in-between everything else that' going on will be,

Saturday February 4th

I know that are regular guys that help out with our Thursday Night's, "Autogeek's Car of the Week" projects (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/) are local and want to learn how to sand and use rotary buffers so I'm pretty sure this project will attract more people than we need. This would include,

Rene
Kyle
Tommy
Jeff
Robert
Adam

This Blazer is a great vehicle for learning to sand and buff because the panels are large and mostly flat. We'll be machine dampsanding as much of the paint as possible and only hand sanding areas we cannot safely machine sand.

Rare
Opportunities like this are very rare so if you get an e-mail from me about this project and want to help out then reply ASAP

:)

Indy
12-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Mike,

Count me in for the wetsanding/buffing.

Steve

Mike Phillips
12-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Mike,

Count me in for the wetsanding/buffing.

Steve

Sounds good Steve...

These skills will compliment all the skills you already possess. For anyone that doesn't know, Steve pretty much rebuilt every aspect of his car except spraying the paint and then cutting and buffing it...

1969 Camaro Pace Car - Show Car Makeover - Modeled by Michelle (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/43165-1969-camaro-pace-car-show-car-makeover-modeled-michelle.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1315/1969CamaroIndyPC099.jpg

Made you an Avatar from one of the beauty shots of you car...

:xyxthumbs:

ShaunD
12-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Will see if I can make it Mike. I am going to try and be in Louisiana in February for Mardi Gras, so if that works out I will make it one big panhandle road trip.:D

Mike Phillips
12-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Will see if I can make it Mike. I am going to try and be in Louisiana in February for Mardi Gras, so if that works out I will make it one big panhandle road trip.:D

Sounds good. I would recommend "Subscribing" to this thread just in case. If something comes up and for any reason we have to change the date or cancel I will post and update to the thread and also e-mail and/or call anyone that's signed up.

I don't foresee any issues but just in case...

Mike Phillips
12-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Not for Shaun as I'm sure he already knows this but for anyone not sure how to subscribe to a thread I just wrote a little how-to article with screenshots to show you what to do...

How To Subscribe to a Thread (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tips-techniques-how-articles-interacting-discussion-forums/44570-how-subscribe-thread.html)

slimer955
12-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Mike,
I would love to have the opportunity to work on the "Blazer" project with you. Like i said in my pm to you I am working on my 05 Magnum that I just had painted and came back with more problems than i can count.
Thanks
Danny

Mike Phillips
12-26-2011, 07:07 PM
Mike,
I would love to have the opportunity to work on the "Blazer" project with you. Like i said in my pm to you I am working on my 05 Magnum that I just had painted and came back with more problems than i can count.
Thanks
Danny

Subscribe to this thread and stay up to date with how this project progresses...

Glad to have you be a part of the team...

Harleyguy
12-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Not sure if I'm working that Saturday or not if i'm not you can count on me also . Maybe I can talk my buddy Corey into coming down also .

Rencor
12-27-2011, 08:40 AM
I am there for sure! Thanks Mike for putting this together!

Mike Phillips
12-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Maybe I can talk my buddy Corey into coming down also .

Cool. We can use his car to chock the wheels of the Blazer so it doesn't try to roll around...

I am there for sure! Thanks Mike for putting this together!

Did it just for you buddy.... :props:

Oh and because I like wetsanding projects and Blazers and the color orange.

:dblthumb2:

Ryncarzk
12-27-2011, 09:14 AM
I can't let Rene take all the fun. I am for sure going to be there since this is perfect prep for when I wetsand my mustang :)

jrocknroll
12-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Hey Mike, :xyxthumbs:
This is Jay, I just wanted to drop a line and tell you and the members of Autogeek how happy and excited I am to have my K5 wet sanded and buffed after it is painted this week. I have been working on this truck for a year now rebuilding and replacing the suspension and drive-line components and cant wait to have the outside look as good as the truck performs. I would also like to make myself available to help you guys with any other future projects as I have been a motor-head for over twenty years and don't mind turning a wrench. This truck should turn out pretty nice when its done and you know I will tell everyone who helped me out with this project. Don't forget I'll bring the pizza and cold ones!! Thanks again guys!

Mike Phillips
12-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Hey Mike, :xyxthumbs:
This is Jay, I just wanted to drop a line and tell you and the members of Autogeek how happy and excited I am to have my K5 wet sanded and buffed after it is painted this week. I have been working on this truck for a year now rebuilding and replacing the suspension and drive-line components and cant wait to have the outside look as good as the truck performs.

Hi Jay, glad to see you on the forum, you'll like this place, lots of car guys and even a few gals...

:welcome:

I would also like to make myself available to help you guys with any other future projects as I have been a motor-head for over twenty years and don't mind turning a wrench. This truck should turn out pretty nice when its done and you know I will tell everyone who helped me out with this project.

For right now I'm putting the brakes on future projects as we're getting ready to start shooting the second season of our TV show, "What's in the Garage", but as soon as we're done with the second week of filming in February we'll be back on schedule for our Thursday Night "Autogeek's Car of the Week" projects that are sometimes on Saturdays due to the need for more time.

I always post an announcement to the bottom of the forum homepage in my "box". :D

Don't forget I'll bring the pizza and cold ones!! Thanks again guys!

With Rene and Kyle here, it will cost you more for pizza and cold drinks than you've spent on your truck but heck yeah... bring it!

This will be fun! We have access to all the best products available plus talented guys with a passion for perfection.

:dblthumb2:

CEE DOG
12-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Not sure if I'm working that Saturday or not if i'm not you can count on me also . Maybe I can talk my buddy Corey into coming down also .

I am flying out to Texas near the end of January or beginning of February. I don't know the exact date yet but if it's not that weekend you can count me in!

Cool. We can use his car to chock the wheels of the Blazer so it doesn't try to roll around...

That's awesome Mike!! ROFL! Im the MAN