PDA

View Full Version : Process leading to Optimum Opti-coat on new car

highgrade
12-25-2011, 09:43 PM
I have a buddy who just got a brand new VW Jetta (nice car). It has very light scratches on it but overall looks to be in good shape (it should for new...and the lot boys did not mess it up!)

The plan is to seal it with Optimum Opti-coat. The question is....after the clay, is there a preferred method to get it ready to prep? I mean, I am used to work on used cars that are in bad shape. This car is already in pretty good shape.
I am wondering what products would provide the best results in a "timely" manner before sealing. I am leaning towards the Optimum line.
I have a Flex 3401....so I need a product selection that will work with that unit.

thanks for any suggestions!

mjlinane
12-25-2011, 09:50 PM
As OC is permanent, you should try to get the paint as flawless as you can (within reason). On my new-looking year old, I spot corrected RIDS (Opti MF Pads + Megs 105) and prettied up the gloss/finish (Orange + Optimum Polish II). Note - I have extremely hard paint - YMMV. Then prep'ed the surface with Eraser (1:1). Honestly, not hugely different than normal.

highgrade
12-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Thanks mjlinane! I was thinking about the optimum polish. Is Menzerna another good product to work with? If so, not sure which ones I would need. More input plz :)

mjlinane
12-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Yes. Menzerna makes excellent products. I have used 203, 106 and 85RD. I believe Opti Polish II has about the same cut as 203 and Opti Finish is between 106 and 85RD.

VW is typically hard paint. You didn't mention the color. Darker colors generally require finer polishes to finish out correctly. (You can't tell as readily on lighter colors.)

highgrade
12-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Yes. Menzerna makes excellent products. I have used 203, 106 and 85RD. I believe Opti Polish II has about the same cut as 203 and Opti Finish is between 106 and 85RD.

VW is typically hard paint. You didn't mention the color. Darker colors generally require finer polishes to finish out correctly. (You can't tell as readily on lighter colors.)
car color...sorry...should have mentioned it.

the VW is black

sounds like i should go for the opti polish and finish...then seal. ???

mjlinane
12-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Probably would be good.

I make sure the paint is cleaned of any residuals first with Eraser (1:1) or IPA although, if you use Optimum polishes, you have more leeway. Once I'm happy with the finish and cleanliness, then I OC it.

mjlinane
12-25-2011, 10:35 PM
BTW - I don't like the OC applicator. I prefer Carpro MicroSuede wrapped around a Saran Wrap-clad sponge (cut to fit). Makes application more foolproof (and I need that ;) ).

Lots of light, too.

umi000
12-25-2011, 11:10 PM
One thing to consider - Optimum has stated that if you use their compounds/polishes, you only need to do a wipedown with a damp MF towel prior to applying Opti-Coat, which cuts down on the steps needed prior to application.

There are polymers left behind from an ONR wash too, but it can be painted over with absolutely no bonding issues. We engineer our products to work together. You can use OUR polishes, remove the residue with a damp mf, and go directly to OC. There is nothing wrong with a strong wash...it's just not required.

On a side note. I am personally not an advocate of IPA for paint prep. It has no lubricants to keep from maring and can simply loosen waxes and oils for them only to be redeposited as it flashes away. I have always recommended a Power Clean wash and rinse as prep for OC...you just don't have to if you've prepped with our polishes.

-Chris

highgrade
12-25-2011, 11:19 PM
One thing to consider - Optimum has stated that if you use their compounds/polishes, you only need to do a wipedown with a damp MF towel prior to applying Opti-Coat, which cuts down on the steps needed prior to application.
interesting. i am still a noob when it comes to optimum products. I have a few but not all. I am really flopping back and forth now between menzerna and the optimum products mentioned earlier

highgrade
12-25-2011, 11:48 PM
interesting. i am still a noob when it comes to optimum products. I have a few but not all. I am really flopping back and forth now between menzerna and the optimum products mentioned earlier
heck...10% and want to try the products. Got both....hopefully there wont be any other major sales until valentines day LOL

jimbo585
12-26-2011, 12:25 AM
While I did not opti coat my car myself I do have it applied to my black 2011 Jetta and I can tell you the paint is extremely soft.

Sorry I can't help with prep product because I did not prep my own car but optimum products work well together.