PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang DGPS and Menzerna Power lock

RFulmer
12-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Hello All and Merry Christmas.

As I sitting here browsing through the AG store and reading reviews and waiting on the food gorge to begin. I'm looking at the Menzerna Power Lock sealant. How does this compare to Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant?

Any reason to have both?

Is one considered "better" than the other?

mg6045
12-25-2011, 12:39 PM
really no reason to have both. But I have a LOT of experience with both of these products as well as Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant.

All 3 sealants are VERY similar in most all ways.

BUT, Blackfire and Menzerna Powerlock are both faster to work with. You can pretty much wipe on/ wipe off with both of these products, going panel to panel. And they will both be effective and leave serious protection. Basically you dont have to wait for them to fully haze over. The Blackfire has polycharger advertised and added. IMO, the Menzerna also has polycharger as well, although its not advertised as such. Both of these products are IME identical. Super duper slick with lasting protection. I personally apply to the entire car, NO wait time, and start wiping off where I started. So I make 2 complete circles around the car , from application to removal all completed in 15 to 20 minutes.

The Wolfgang is also a great product. Its a bit easier to spread then both the Blackfire and Wolfgang as it feels a little bit more lubricated when spreading. I like that feature about the Wolfgang. With the Wolfgang you HAVE to let the product fully haze over before removal for ideal protection. Wait time is stated to be atleast 30 minutes, but more ideally 45 minutes. I personally have waited as little as 15 without issue. The Wolfgang while easier to spread, is more difficult to remove than the other 2. But the reality is that its still VERY easy. Just not as easy as the other 2. The other 2 wipe off with zero pressure. With the Wolfgang you have to be sure to check you got it all off.

Slickness is similar between the 3, but I find the Menzerna and Blackfire to be slicker than the wolfgang by a small amount.

Durability is also similar between the 3, but I find the Blackfire to stay slicker and look better longer than the other 2.

For looks, the Wolfgang and Blackfire are at the top. They give a distinct look that is more noticeable than the Menzerna. I'm not sure if that is because the Menzerna being designed as a protection only product after there polishing line when you are done with a full paint correction, or for some other reason. But the Blackfire and Wolfgang have more gloss probably because most customers will apply this to a neglected finish.

Thats really all I can think of.

If you consider price, the Blackfire and Menzerna are 30 dollars, while the WG is 40. Because of this, I do not buy the WG unless its on sale, as I truly think the Blackfire/Menzerna is the superior product and is 10 dollars less.

In summary, the reality is that these 3 sealants "IMO" are all being made by the same manufacturer and you will bascially equal results using either one. Cant go wrong with either of them.

mg6045
12-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Just too add, do not read too much into the removal of the product differences as a deal breaker. All are simple to remove, I just find that the WG removes slightly different. You could probably remove any of these products with your eyes closed.

RFulmer
12-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Now that's a lot of info. Thanks.

I have BFWD and Wolfgang DGPS and have just used the DGPS for the first time yesterday afternoon. I put it on and wiped it off 1/2 of the car at a time. After doing so I read it should sit for 45 minutes so I have another coat on the car as I type this waiting for it to do it's thing before I wipe it off.

The car had previously been polished so I just went over it yesterday with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze before applying the DGPS. I do believe this removed any previous product I put on and also removed some light swirls that I had. I must say the Wolfgang FG did a great job on my soft paint, it's slick with no micro-marring.

From your info I would guess I can do without the Menzerna since I have both the BF and Wolfgang. I tend to try a lot of different products but don't want to try something that almost exactly like what I already have.

Thanks

mg6045
12-25-2011, 01:09 PM
From your info I would guess I can do without the Menzerna since I have both the BF and Wolfgang. I tend to try a lot of different products but don't want to try something that almost exactly like what I already have.

Thanks

Yep

Bunky
12-26-2011, 07:04 AM
My observations....

BFWD - most complex look (warm glossy glow), hides imperfections the most, slick, durable, easy to apply

WGDPS - leaves a wet look, seems to hide the least, easiest to apply, lets the true paint color come through

Powerlock - most sensitive to overly application (apply thinly) to prevent dusting from removed hazed product, look simiar to WGDPS but seems to hide more than WGDPS

shoeless89
12-26-2011, 09:26 AM
I've only used Menzerna Power Lock and I love it. I'll probably end up buying WGDGPS just to try it. And my good friend Josh is hopefully giving me a bottle of Blackfire :)

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

opie_7afe
12-26-2011, 03:25 PM
just get the sample with your next order shoeless the 2oz should be able to do 2 cars. thats what i would do instead of ordering a bottle and you not like it.

ScottB
12-26-2011, 05:02 PM
cannot do wrong with either choice ... I think Powerlock is a little more durable but both look quite nice.