PDA

View Full Version : tape off disaster help!!

Dirtyrango212
12-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Ok here's the problem my buddy taped off his car window trims,antenna, moldings,around mirrors etc. To get ready for me to do some comp/polishing for him great idea save me the time right?? Well NOT I was not able to get to it yesterday so he kept it in the garage for me to get to it today. well I go check it out and try to lift up the tape saying wow you really over did it and don't need it here and tried to peal it up? Anyway long story short it stuck VERY WELL as In cheap tape glue left behind everywhere:bash: question is have you dealt with this what should I use?? It's on paint /plastic and glass.. what I have but not sure what it will harm if anything? What I have to work with. Oops amazing remover , No7 bug & tar remover, klean strip preps all and all per cleaner... what would be safest for plastic And paint???

SeaJay's
12-24-2011, 12:44 PM
IPA mix or an adhesive remover (your bug & tar remover will probably work) and a MF.

tuscarora dave
12-24-2011, 12:47 PM
I wish the average Joe "Wax on Wax off" guy could see this. There is just so much stuff to know about detailing successfully. To be safe on plastic, rubber and paint I'd start with the Prep-All or Prep-Sol and a cotton terry towel and plan to spend all day lightly rubbing to get this adhesive off and don't be surprised if there is some plastic and or paint polishing to do afterward and don't forget about any LSP (If there was any) that will need to be re-applied. This is a case where saving $4 on a roll of tape cost someone $200 worth of time to undo a mistake of inexperience.

tuscarora dave
12-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Be careful using adhesive removers as a lot of them will leave irreparable marks on some soft rubber and or plastics. Go gentle and don't be in a hurry and all should be OK.

opie_7afe
12-24-2011, 03:14 PM
use something with d-limonene in it for everything but rubber,d-limonene can swell rubber up/disengrate it. best adhesive remover that is safe for automotive paint would be something with atleast 10% d-limonene

Dirtyrango212
12-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks alot guys for the quick responses!! How's the 3M adhesive remover stuff anyone? And Merry Christmas to all happy holidays ;-)

tuscarora dave
12-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks alot guys for the quick responses!! How's the 3M adhesive remover stuff anyone? And Merry Christmas to all happy holidays ;-)
The 3M stuff can be some really harsh stuff though I find it to be not as effective on the adhesive as it can be at damaging trim and such. That's why I recommend going with the prep-All because I know for sure that it is mild enough to not melt rubber and plastic but it takes time to remove the adhesive as well. The 3M will work fast on this type of minor adhesive residue but I'd proceed with caution if you do use it because once the damage is done there's no going back.

BWG707
12-24-2011, 05:15 PM
I've had this problem to deal with once before and I found "Goof Off" works great. I know it will not harm painted surfaces and most plastics. Some plastics should be tested just in case but I doubt you'll have any problems with it. Good luck. "Goof Off" is usually found in the painting dept.