PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy: 2008 Chevy HHR SS

Pages : [1] 2

rwright
12-23-2011, 11:40 PM
As the title states I am looking at a 2008 Chevy HHR SS with 43,000 miles. It is a local car, 1 owner, female adult driven, appears to be in great shape all around. I have researched Edmunds and found a lot of people complaining of brake issues. So I'm asking the world, do you have one or know someone with one and do you know of any major issues? This will be a daily driver for me and I average about 30,000 miles per year.

Thanks,
Richard

C. Charles Hahn
12-23-2011, 11:49 PM
SeaJay's daily drives and details out of an HHR SS.... you might ask him for his thoughts. A realtor I used to work with had one for a while as well and seemed to really like it. Same turbocharged engine as the Cobalt SS was in it.

I had a regular HHR for two weeks as a loaner once, and it was a pretty solid vehicle. I don't think I'd mind having an SS Panel for myself.

Garry Dean
12-23-2011, 11:59 PM
SeaJay's daily drives and details out of an HHR SS.... you might ask him for his thoughts. A realtor I used to work with had one for a while as well and seemed to really like it. Same turbocharged engine as the Cobalt SS was in it.

I had a regular HHR for two weeks as a loaner once, and it was a pretty solid vehicle. I don't think I'd mind having an SS Panel for myself.

Im pretty sure the Cobalt SS had a supercharger. Either way Im sure you will be happy with the HHR. Todd Helme used to drive a black one. Im pretty sure that wasnt an SS,but you can ask him about it on Autopiaforums.com (Autogeeks sister site).

IOMCAMARO
12-24-2011, 12:10 AM
The Cobalt SS was supercharged up until 2008 when it was swapped to a turbo. :props: :D Richard, the HHR has been voted one of the most reliable domestic cars since it came out in 2006. It was the top one for work cars for 2 or 3 years straight. The people that I know that have them have never had any major issues with them. I am actually looking for one for college. It is between an HHR SS and a Mazda 3 or MazdaSpeed 3. Depending on what I can find. Although I don't find the HHRs the most comfortable to drive.

C. Charles Hahn
12-24-2011, 12:49 AM
Im pretty sure the Cobalt SS had a supercharger. Either way Im sure you will be happy with the HHR.

They were available in both configurations actually, as well as a naturally aspirated model that was later renamed the "Cobalt Sport".... the 2.0L Turbocharged Ecotec is the more desirable model among enthusiasts though.

2010 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Turbocharged Coupe For Sale - CarGurus (http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2010-Chevrolet-Cobalt-SS-Turbocharged-Coupe-t35527)

A derivative of that same 2.0T (LNF) is currently used in the Buick Regal GS.

Todd Helme used to drive a black one. Im pretty sure that wasnt an SS,but you can ask him about it on Autopiaforums.com (Autogeeks sister site).

:laughing: :props:

rwright
12-24-2011, 01:40 AM
Thanks all. I contacted one of my former co-workers and he has a regular HHR with 122,000 miles. He recommends poly sway bar bushings and lower control arm bushings, which I would do anyway being the SS model with "tuned" suspension. I wish this was a panel but sadly it is not. I just hope the engine/trans lasts longer than my SRT-4 Neon - 107,000 miles.

IOMCAMARO
12-24-2011, 02:05 AM
*cough* Neons are junk *cough* They are better off scrapped. One of Dodge's worse cars they ever made IMO.

goathead
12-24-2011, 08:08 AM
*cough* Neons are junk *cough* They are better off scrapped. One of Dodge's worse cars they ever made IMO.

*cough* Aries K

soloz2
12-24-2011, 09:01 AM
I think I would kill myself if I had to drive an HHR every day! I just got a 2011 one as a loaner while my baby was in the shop and I couldn't wait to get rid of it!

-Huge blind spots
-Backing up feels like heading into a tunnel as the rear window is so small
-uncomfortable seats
-small windshield - I'm short... 5'6" and I had to hunch down just to see any stop light.
-uninspiring to drive... Maybe the SS is better, but I doubt it's much better. I'd take my wife's 1998 Subaru Outback Wagon with 225k over an HHR any day of the week.

SeaJay's
12-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Ahh this one is right up my alley!

I have a 2010 HHR SS and I can honestly say I love the little thing. It's certainly different and isn't a fancy sports/luxury car in the least.

The interior is a little cramped and for anyone that is on the larger side it may be tight. I for one actually end up using the passenger side arm rest most of the time. (I'm 5'9" and about 200lbs)

The LT & LS models of the HHR are junk when it comes to driving. They lack any pick up and are really boring to drive. The SS model with the turbo (as someone else mentioned up until 2008 it was a supercharger) really has some pick up and with the sport tuned suspension it handles really well and makes it a fun little drive, when it's not loaded with my detailing stuff.

With the fold down rear seats it really gives you plenty of room for storage in the back. I'm able to fit all of my detailing supplies in the back with no issues what so ever. Note I don't have a generator or water tank.

And the gas mileage is great. On the highway with a fully loaded car I get an avg of 27-30 and around town it's about 23-26.

I haven't had any issues with it as of yet and I've had it since May. I also bought it brand new (sat on the lot for a year). The brakes are definitely a non-issue with mine. As of right now at least.

I went from driving an Avalanche to this, so there was definitely an adjustment period where I had to get use to the smaller interior and just over all smaller vehicle. But I love it and it's perfect for what I need it for. Plenty of room for detailing supplies, fun to drive, and great gas mileage.

I'd say take it for a spin and see if you like it. Everyone is different with what they look for in a car. The HHR SS fits my needs perfectly and I think what I really like about it is it's different. I don't see a lot of HHR SS models in my area. I've seen a total of maybe 3 since I purchased it. Plus I've de-badged it except for the SS badges. I removed the gold chevy emblems and re-painted them black. Just to give it a cleaner look.

FUNX650
12-24-2011, 10:51 AM
I purchased one of the first HHR's in mid-September 2005 (2006 model) loaded with every option available at that time, and some that would become available in later model years. I used an aftermarket Eaton M62 to supercharge it in 2008.

Very nice vehicle!!! Loved the baggy fenders, Corvette-inspired taillights, et al.

Excellent MPG ( 30+, when I kept my foot out of it), plenty of storage/loading capacity, comfortable to ride/cruise in and vacationing.

I'm a "short-6'1", and had absolutely no issues with entrance/egress...Neither did the Wife.

Never had any "brake-issues"...never heard of anyone having any, either.

Believe me...The Wife was very, very upset, to say the least, when I sold it last year....Even though I got more money for it than my initial purchasing price!

IMO....A Good-Value vehicle...let alone well-kept HHR's are still a head-turner.

NOTE:
If you do wind up buying this HHR...Keep me apprised...I've got an almost brand-new, HHR custom-car-cover you can have.

:)

Bob

rwright
12-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Great! Thanks for the feedback Jason and Bob. I really like the overall design and the fact that I'm only 5'7" helps with the interior room. I do more mobile details now than at my house but the cool thing is that they are close to my apartment so I can store my stuff there.

SeaJay's
12-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Great! Thanks for the feedback Jason and Bob. I really like the overall design and the fact that I'm only 5'7" helps with the interior room. I do more mobile details now than at my house but the cool thing is that they are close to my apartment so I can store my stuff there.

Then the HHR will be perfect for you. It's a great little car and I have had no regrets with my purchase at all. Only complaint I can come up with is the cramped interior, but even that's not as big of a deal anymore. If you do get it make sure you post up some pics!

Also if your looking for some more feedback or info you can check out the link I PM'd you. It's nothing but HHR owners of all types. From those who have decked out their HHR SS to the max to those who have the HHR LT or LS.

rwright
12-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks! I'll check it out, I have a few things to research. I think it has enough room for me, I mean I stuffed my neon and was fine and with this it's all open storage. I'm going back Monday to drive it longer and see if a deal can be made. :)

FUNX650
12-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Thanks! I'll check it out, I have a few things to research. I think it has enough room for me, I mean I stuffed my neon and was fine and with this it's all open storage. I'm going back Monday to drive it longer and see if a deal can be made. :)

It will be a cool belated Christmas gift from Santa.

Good luck with your negotiations!!

:)

Bob