PDA

View Full Version : A Pretty Good Day

mjlinane
12-23-2011, 06:36 PM
In the spirit of Mike Phillip's "Each one teach one" challenge, I had a coworker over to show some basic polishing techniques and some other detailing skills. He is a very enthusiastic learner (some of you may have known him as "grungy" on the old TID forum) with an older PC, 6" (only!) pads and an enormous bus of a vehicle (metallic white '07 Ford Expedition) - his wife's DD. The paint was generally in good condition for being outside 24/7 but had lost some luster & had some light swirling/RIDS (was exceptionally hard, too - starting to wonder if it is a Texas thing).

So, spent the day showing him how I rinseless wash, the joys of M105 on Megs MF pads on a GG6 & on Opt 3" MF on a PCXP, cleaning on the fly, where & when to tape, plastic rejuvenation, etc. Got the hood and passenger side done. He was pleased with the results he achieved.

I received no monetary compensation but still found it rewarding in its own way. Like I said - a pretty good day.

Flash Gordon
12-23-2011, 07:20 PM
In the spirit of Mike Phillip's "Each one teach one" challenge, I had a coworker over to show some basic polishing techniques and some other detailing skills. He is a very enthusiastic learner (some of you may have known him as "grungy" on the old TID forum) with an older PC, 6" (only!) pads and an enormous bus of a vehicle (metallic white '07 Ford Expedition) - his wife's DD. The paint was generally in good condition for being outside 24/7 but had lost some luster & had some light swirling/RIDS (was exceptionally hard, too - starting to wonder if it is a Texas thing).

So, spent the day showing him how I rinseless wash, the joys of M105 on Megs MF pads on a GG6 & on Opt 3" MF on a PCXP, cleaning on the fly, where & when to tape, plastic rejuvenation, etc. Got the hood and passenger side done. He was pleased with the results he achieved.

I received no monetary compensation but still found it rewarding in its own way. Like I said - a pretty good day.

I know Grungy. Tell him Flash and Trouble wish him a Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas to you as well

mjlinane
12-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Well, grungy came back yesterday with his DD (Silver 2001 Mercury Sable - very hard paint again). Considering how nice he kept his wife's Expedition, the Sable was pretty rough. Hadn't been washed in a while, no wax, oxidation, etc. Let him loose with the Griot's GG6 + Megs MF + M105.

After a while, I got bored with watching & offering helpful advice so pulled out my Metabo rotary & Optimum MF Polishing Pads. I normally do not do correction with a rotary any more because, with MF pads and M105 on my DAs, I really don't have to (that combo is far safer). But, I don't normally get beaters whose owners are encouraging me to experiment, wanted more practice with my rotary and wanted to try MF pads on a rotary. That combo really worked well. With M105, it cut fast (2 passes @ 900, 2 @ 1100, 2 @ 1300, 2 @ 1100, 2 @ 900 - 1 section pass!) cleaned up 90% of the (correctable) defects & oxidation and finished hologram free & LSP ready! (I did follow up with Hitachi rotary + Black Pad + M205 as to not give grungy any wrong ideas about rotary usage.)

Flush with success, I actually started working. Pulled out my PC + Opti MF pads + Optimum Compound. I've had the Compound for a while but hadn't used it yet and, as I said, was being encouraged to experiment. I'm glad I did - I love this stuff. Doesn't quite have the cut of M105 but dusts less, has a longer working time, cleans up much easier and finishes at least as well (on this paint).

Finished off with BlackFire.

As I wasn't planning on actually working on this car, I didn't start off with Before pics. Here are a couple, though:

50/50 (left corrected)
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/50-50.JPG

Afters
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/HtCG_Hood.JPG
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/HtCG_Trunk.JPG

Need to work on my sun shot techniques. They don't turn out like I want. Suggestions welcome.

BTW - grungy says hello back, Flash and your trusty dog, Trouble.

Flash Gordon
12-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Looks really nice!

Tell grungy Trouble sends her regards :)

grungy
12-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Hi Flash and Trouble.. finally got an account over here. Many thanks to Mike L. for his time and patience. Well worth the dirty looks from the family when I came home after 8 hours.

Grungy

Mike Phillips
12-30-2011, 02:50 PM
In the spirit of Mike Phillip's "Each one teach one" challenge,

Very cool of you...

I actually find it just as rewarding teaching others how to detail cars as I find it rewarding to detail cars...

I never tire of either.

Each one teach one...

:xyxthumbs:

Flash Gordon
12-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Hi Flash and Trouble.. finally got an account over here. Many thanks to Mike L. for his time and patience. Well worth the dirty looks from the family when I came home after 8 hours.

Grungy

Glad you decided to join us. Its been awhile

That was very nice of Mike to help you with your cars

Happy New Year Guys!