PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Trim with an apc

cpa5oh
12-23-2011, 07:26 AM
A while back I made a thread asking about a trim product and was told that before applying a dressing I should clean the trim with an all purpose cleaner before application of the dressing.

I haven't actually tried that yet...it's cold and I put my lsp product on for the winter and didn't want to strip it with the all purpose cleaner. Which leads to my question - if you guys are cleaning vynil and rubber with an APC before applying dressing, *how* are you doing that and keeping the APC from touching your paint (and messing with yoru lsp?) Or is the APC hitting some paint and you just don't care about it? Maybe you have your APC diluted to a strength that you know won't strip your lsp?

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

tuscarora dave
12-23-2011, 07:31 AM
I wrap a cotton terry towel around my index finger and apply some full strength APC to dampen the part around my finger tip then go to work on the trim pieces. I will typically be doing this work before applying any LSP but either way if the APC is not dripping wet on the towel it's very easy to keep it off of the paint work.

cpa5oh
12-23-2011, 03:12 PM
That's what I'll do...I appreciate the response!

tw33k2514
12-23-2011, 03:41 PM
Great advice Dave.

I will have to give that a try.

cpa5oh
12-23-2011, 06:50 PM
I assume this needs to be done before a car wash because I'm guessing you have to rinse the trim that you worked the APC on before you apply dressing? So, APC, then car wash, then apply trim dressing...I'm horrible with this trim stuff because you have to have a real steady hand to not end up with dressing on paint with my car.

Meticulous-Detail
12-24-2011, 07:47 AM
I assume this needs to be done before a car wash because I'm guessing you have to rinse the trim that you worked the APC on before you apply dressing? So, APC, then car wash, then apply trim dressing...I'm horrible with this trim stuff because you have to have a real steady hand to not end up with dressing on paint with my car.

Go to HD and get a pack of assorted foam paint brushes, usually like 7-10 bucks. Spritz the foam brush with your favorite trim dressing and basically paint the trim. Don't push to hard, not to cause drips or runs.

Flash Gordon
12-24-2011, 08:00 AM
Go to HD and get a pack of assorted foam paint brushes, usually like 7-10 bucks. Spritz the foam brush with your favorite trim dressing and basically paint the trim. Don't push to hard, not to cause drips or runs.

Go to Wal-Mart and get the same package of brushes for $2 ^

Unless the trim has excessive dirt/mildew. I don't do anything other then wash before dressing. You'll definitley shorten the life of your trim if you continue to clean in this manner IMO

:autowash:

Meticulous-Detail
12-24-2011, 08:15 AM
Go to Wal-Mart and get the same package of brushes for $2 ^

Unless the trim has excessive dirt/mildew. I don't do anything other then wash before dressing. You'll definitley shorten the life of your trim if you continue to clean in this manner IMO

:autowash:

Yeah, don't have one where I live, but wish I did. Have to go to NJ for a Wally World. I agree with using the APC to often. You can also try a just soap and water with a tooth brush.

Flash Gordon
12-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Yeah, don't have one where I live, but wish I did. Have to go to NJ for a Wally World.

Try Dollar General or Family Dollar

cpa5oh
12-24-2011, 08:22 AM
I never realized how interesting taking care of a 10 year old black car was going to end up being...it's a real challenge. If using an APC on the trim is going to make it not last as long, I don't want to do that. It was recommended to me when I explained on the board that I'd tried Adams's Super VRT and it was gone in a week...people were saying that if I cleaned it with an APC the Super VRT might 'stick' better. If the trade-off on that is that the trim is going to get ruined over time, that's not a trade-off I want to have. Though I am using Optimum Power Clean which is supposed to be a very safe APC...maybe I just need to clean the trim with Power Clean and then use something like Ultima's Tire and Trim guard, which is supposed to last a long time which would make it so I didn't have to go through the process often. (Don't own the Ultima product yet...do have Duragloss 531 which is supposed to have some good longevity as well.)

Meticulous-Detail
12-24-2011, 10:13 AM
I never realized how interesting taking care of a 10 year old black car was going to end up being...it's a real challenge. If using an APC on the trim is going to make it not last as long, I don't want to do that. It was recommended to me when I explained on the board that I'd tried Adams's Super VRT and it was gone in a week...people were saying that if I cleaned it with an APC the Super VRT might 'stick' better. If the trade-off on that is that the trim is going to get ruined over time, that's not a trade-off I want to have. Though I am using Optimum Power Clean which is supposed to be a very safe APC...maybe I just need to clean the trim with Power Clean and then use something like Ultima's Tire and Trim guard, which is supposed to last a long time which would make it so I didn't have to go through the process often. (Don't own the Ultima product yet...do have Duragloss 531 which is supposed to have some good longevity as well.)

The trim will get ruined if you always use APC to clean the trim and keep repeating the procedure. Yes, I would use OPC on the trim and def. try the DG 531 as it is on my list for next purchase. Then you can just use the DG 531 when the trim looks like it is starting to fade. You should be set.