PDA

View Full Version : Nebie DA polisher and Pads question

Spiney
12-21-2011, 10:28 PM
My wife is after me to order my Christmas gift already. I know I won't get it for Christmas but I'm a big boy I can wait. I want a DA polisher and pads so I can use it.

From a previous post I've decided on the GG 6". It was reccomended I go with the Meguiar's DA MF system. But I read a few posts where people start off with that system, find it leaves some marks so the finish with another pad. I want to place an order where once I get a nice day I can use it. Cars are 96 SVT Cobra black with swirls and water marks. 98 Volvo V70 wagon with same but more scratches.

From reading I thought about 105 / 205 then ? Lsp.

So what pads should I buy? Or should I buy a kit? Or should I call and talk to someone at AG?

Thanks, Spiney-Dave

Spiney
12-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Finger fart. Should have said Newbie. spiney

soloz2
12-21-2011, 10:35 PM
In for answers. My wife got me the GG polisher a couple days ago when it was $80 shipped from Amazon and I need to choose some pads too.

glen e
12-21-2011, 10:44 PM
call AG...I own the green (cleaner wax) blue (polish) red (LSP) - Lake Country pads...love them

RFulmer
12-21-2011, 10:48 PM
I no expert but from my limited experience with my PC and GG6" I would recommend 5.5" low profile 7/8" thick pads. Either the LC flat or the LC HT versions.

I would recommend starting with Orange, White, and Black if you get the LC Flat, or Cyan, Tangerine, Crimson for the LC HT pads.

Larger than 5.5" pads spin much slower with the DA polishers. I have found this out myself using some LC and Adam's 6.5" pads. They bog down way to easily, both on the PC and GG.

The main difference between the regular flat LC pads and the HT pads is the HT were designed specifically for water based polishes, although they work fine with any polish. They absorb less polish and you end up using less in the end. But I have read that the HT pads don't last as long, but you still get plenty of uses out of them.

As far as polish, I see a lot of guys who do this for a living using the 105/205 polishes, but I don't have any experience with it myself. I just used the Wolfgang twins for the first time (Total Swirl Remover/Finishing Glaze) and really liked it. The Finishing Glaze reminds me of Menzerna 85.

As far as finishing, the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant is nice stuff to go along with the other Wolfgang products but LSP is whatever you like. I tend to like trying all different sorts of products.

Again, I'm no expert by any means but from what I have read and used myself the above tends to be recommended pretty often.

I tried both the 6.5" pads and 5.5" pads and the difference was so great that I just got these in (all 5.5" except for the applicators, although the ones in the front look larger).....I'm set for 5.5" pads for a while :-)

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo34/Sardian/RLF_1436.jpg

jekyl05
12-21-2011, 11:17 PM
to add my .02 cents the menzerna product line is used by a large number of AG Members... especially Menzerna Finish Polish (PO85RD) . that should finish well on the mustang.

umi000
12-22-2011, 12:47 AM
Wow, you just missed all the sales on the pads, polishers and kits that AG had. My take, having just bought a DA and some pads myself - stick primarily with 5.5" low-profile pads. I went with the Tangerine and Crimson hydrotechs, but I also got some black flats (despite what it says on the AG page, the Crimsons do have some cut, from all accounts). However, instead of the cyan or yellow foam cutting pads, I went with the MF cutting pads, as everyone says that they are more effective at that task than foam.

opie_7afe
12-22-2011, 02:16 PM
i would go with the 5.5" flat pads, you will need a new backing plate as the griots machine has a 5.5 or 6" backing plate so pads wont fit properly, just get some orange,white,gray pads and some polishes, most love meguiars m105/m205 and if needed menzerna PO85RD, i would call up AG and talk to nick he will set you up right and you will be very happy! dont forget the forum free shipping code also :)

Spiney
01-05-2012, 05:03 AM
i would go with the 5.5" flat pads, you will need a new backing plate as the griots machine has a 5.5 or 6" backing plate so pads wont fit properly, just get some orange,white,gray pads and some polishes, most love meguiars m105/m205 and if needed menzerna PO85RD, i would call up AG and talk to nick he will set you up right and you will be very happy! dont forget the forum free shipping code also :)

Please explain what size backing plate I would need. If I want to buy 5.5" flat pads and the machine comes with 5.5" Backing plate is that not right? or must the plate be smaller than the pads?

Also what's the forum free shipping code? Thanks, Spiney-Dave

mjlinane
01-05-2012, 07:16 AM
BP needs to be smaller than the pad. So for a 5.5" pad, you'd use a 5" BP.

AGO.

opie_7afe
01-05-2012, 02:51 PM
most backing plates for 5.5" pads are 4 3/4" but they state there 5" backing plates. the griots machine comes with a 6" backing plate. you want a backing plate smaller then the pad to give you a margin of error. the code for free shipping is AGO unless they are running other promotions then the code can be different.