PDA

View Full Version : ONR question

Pages : [1] 2

dugout
12-21-2011, 06:55 AM
The other day I used ONR for the 1st time to wash both of my daily drivers in my heated garage. I thought everything was going well, I washed and dried a panel at a time but after I moved on to another couple of panels and looked back there was a haze or light film over everything I did.

On the 1st vehicle I used about 2 oz of ONR in 4 gallons of water & clean micro fiber towels. Then I thought maybe it's too much ONR so on the next vehicle I measured 1 oz in 2 gallons of water, more clean towels, same result.

Now the only thing I can think of, does ONR strip previous wax, sealant or whatever that may be creating this haze?

Has anyone experienced this before? I've done some searching on older posts but can't find anything like this mentioned before.

A-train
12-21-2011, 07:00 AM
ONR won't strip wax or sealants. Did you try misting that section with water or a QD?

Bunky
12-21-2011, 07:01 AM
Is this effect permanent?

alko
12-21-2011, 07:52 AM
IMO...what it sounds like you are seeing is your LSP that wasn't all the way removed. When you're in the garage doing ONR, you're paying more attention to the panels as you wash, so maybe you're now "seeing" your LSP. The reason I say this is because I too am seeing the same results. I attribute this to the fact that I did not let the Collinite 915 cure before I applied some Swissvax.

Maybe someone else has something different...just letting you know what I'm experiencing.

SeaJay's
12-21-2011, 08:04 AM
IMO...what it sounds like you are seeing is your LSP that wasn't all the way removed. When you're in the garage doing ONR, you're paying more attention to the panels as you wash, so maybe you're now "seeing" your LSP. The reason I say this is because I too am seeing the same results. I attribute this to the fact that I did not let the Collinite 915 cure before I applied some Swissvax.

Maybe someone else has something different...just letting you know what I'm experiencing.

I would have to agree here. It's probably your LSP that was never fully removed/buffed off. Collinite is one of those waxes that this happens with a lot.

alko
12-21-2011, 08:16 AM
I would have to agree here. It's probably your LSP that was never fully removed/buffed off. Collinite is one of those waxes that this happens with a lot.

yes...removed as in buffed off. It sucks because I REALLY don't want to remove the LSPs but I think I might have too because every time I look at the car in the light I can see it and it pisses me off. :-/

dugout
12-21-2011, 08:39 AM
That makes sense, I think the last product I used was Collonite on both vehicles. Thanks

alko
12-21-2011, 08:40 AM
I've used a QD to get some of it off, but overall if you want to get it looking good again you may have to strip it off and start over.

Bigpat
12-21-2011, 08:44 AM
I dont know but you said heated garage.. how cold is it outside? I cant speak from experiance but if the metal was cold and you had warm air in garage+warm water with onr could it haze up on you??? Im interested in this az well because i will be doing DP rinseless washes this winter and im hoping to not have same issue

dugout
12-21-2011, 08:48 AM
It's been in the 20's and 30's here, but the cars were had been in the 45 degree garage for a while so they were warm.

I did go over both with a quick detailer and even with that it was hard to clear up the haze

Jfresh
12-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Same thing happened to me yesterday when I washed with ONR. Mostly on my hood. I had 476 as my last LSP. I tried everything to remove it, even CarPro Eraser. I ended up just polishing it, and starting from scratch.

umi000
12-21-2011, 10:18 AM
When did you apply the 476? And how long did you let it dry before buffing off?

alko
12-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Same thing happened to me yesterday when I washed with ONR. Mostly on my hood. I had 476 as my last LSP. I tried everything to remove it, even CarPro Eraser. I ended up just polishing it, and starting from scratch.

Carpro Eraser is not a product to remove an LSP. It's to remove polishing oils and residue in preparation for an LSP.

Taken from AG:

CarPro Eraser is an IPA and more! Eraser is an intense cleaner designed to dissolve oil particles and remove polish residue to prepare the paintwork for Cquartz. Eraser attracts polish residue and dust better and cleans better than an ordinary IPA. Eraser makes it possible for everyone to get the perfect Cquartz finish.

To remove an LSP, claying, washing in dawn, and/or using a product such as Griot's Garage Paint Prep will remove the LSP.

Jfresh
12-21-2011, 10:49 AM
When did you apply the 476? And how long did you let it dry before buffing off?

About a month ago. I did it according to the directions: small section at a time and buffed off when it began to dry/haze, which in my case wasn't that long at all. It started to haze within minutes on a cool surface, temps around 60 or so.

andrew b
12-21-2011, 11:36 AM
The other day I used ONR for the 1st time to wash both of my daily drivers in my heated garage. I thought everything was going well, I washed and dried a panel at a time but after I moved on to another couple of panels and looked back there was a haze or light film over everything I did.

On the 1st vehicle I used about 2 oz of ONR in 4 gallons of water & clean micro fiber towels. Then I thought maybe it's too much ONR so on the next vehicle I measured 1 oz in 2 gallons of water, more clean towels, same result.

Just want to point out something no one has commented on yet...

2 oz of product in 4 gallons of water is the same dilution as 1 oz of product in 2 gallons of water, so if it was the case that the solution was too strong you didn't change it (if those are in fact the ratios you used).

That said, doubt it was the strength of teh ONR, since the instructions are for 1 ounce in 2 gallons. IMO more likely causes are the areas not being buffed completely (you're seeing buffer haze) or perhaps as someone said you're seeing unremoved product.

I've also had this occur when "topping" LSPs with other LSPs that don't play well together. forget what combination it was (but definitely was wax over sealant), but one time, at certain angles, the result was all haziy where I'd done that. Was glad I cuaght it prior to doing the whole car. Sometimes more isn't better....