PDA

View Full Version : PC7424 losing power/heating up/smelling

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ryan R
12-21-2011, 01:02 AM
Ive this 7424XP since August and have done a few corrections and many polish and wax jobs with no issues whatsoever until today....

I noticed it "bogging down" almost like it does when you apply to much pressure but it was definitely something electrical and continuing to bog down even when not against the paint.
At setting 6 I felt it was running at setting 5 speed or less.
Machine was also getting much much warmer than usual and a burning smell was coming out of it as well.
Bringing it to an authorized warranty repair shop tomorrow to get it checked out and will forward my findings to the forum

jpegs13
12-21-2011, 04:36 AM
Maybe needs a brush replacement?

BobbyG
12-21-2011, 06:14 AM
It could be several things Ryan and the right thing to do it have someone qualified take a look at it.

How old is the machine and how much have you used it?
Is it still under warranty?
Has it ever been damaged in any way?
Like John said it could be just the brushes.

I'm curious to hear what you find...

gmck
12-21-2011, 06:53 AM
Maybe needs a brush replacement?

Brushes don't wear that fast - takes years of constant use with most of them.

All these cheap DA's are pretty crap made, so its just normal wear and now you find out after a couple of hours use, how poorly they are made. What do you really expect for something made in China that sells real cheap?

I've had a DAS 6 for over 12 months and it has been replaced by the local distributor five times. Different problem each time, but who cares, if they replace it under warranty and give you are loaner, while your own is being repaired.

Only today, I decided to purchase a new DA (as a backup) from the same company and this one has nearly double the power of the DAS 6. 900 watts as compared to 500 watts. Check it out under Waxit - Premium Car Care Australia (http://waxit.com.au) - I believe they are an AG distributor, so should be ok to post the link. Don't know if they have a 110 volt version for you US guys, but this thing really has some grunt compared to the DAS 6 or the DAS 6 Pro - got to dial every thing down by about a third.

However as promising as it sounds, I don't expect any greater reliability out of it, than what I had with the DAS 6 - because as far as I know, it is still made in China and so the quality is anyone's guess.

If the OP had stated that his Festool Shinnex rotary or his Flex rotary had packed it in in within a couple of months, then I reckon I'd be concerned. Check the warranty (Festool - 3 years) and the turn around time, plus the loaner deal from the loical distributor for complete satisfaction. Machines break, we all stuff up at times, so....

RFulmer
12-21-2011, 09:49 AM
That machine you linked to looks just like a Griot's Garage.

Sorry to hear about the OP problem with their PC. I have had one for 5 years and it still works fine.

Flash Gordon
12-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Next time get a Griots

jfelbab
12-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Most Ace hardware stores are authorized Porter-Cable service centers. I'd take it in before damage occurs. Have new brushes installed and have it cleaned and lubricated. It'll come back like new.

Ryan R
12-21-2011, 10:15 AM
The machine was just bought this past August with just a few corrections and about a dozen polishes and wax jobs.
It's never been dropped or anything.
Worked perfectly up until yesterday.
I use the LC back plates,with the washer on as well. 5.5 pads.
The woman at the repair shop said although it is uncommon I may have a faulty motor but they'll take a look at it.
They also said you can blow it out with an air compressor to maybe clean out any dust. So I'll try that before I drop it off to them this afternoon

Flash Gordon
12-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Sorry to hear your going to have to waste your afternoon running all over town

Ryan R
12-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks Flash..luckily it's right in the middle of everywhere i have to go today.
This would be my luck lol

So this has to led me to make a purchase on a second/back up DA.
I love my PC and have thought of buying another one as a backup or maybe buying a Griots

RFulmer
12-21-2011, 10:41 AM
I have a pc and just got a Griot's. The Griot's has more power and a great warranty.

Ryan R
12-21-2011, 10:58 AM
I have a pc and just got a Griot's. The Griot's has more power and a great warranty.

Cool. Thanks for your input!

Meticulous-Detail
12-21-2011, 12:54 PM
This is funny. I was using my PC yesterday with my DA carpet brush and noticed it bogging down on speed 4 or 5 with light pressure. Then I smelt something funny and it also felt hot. Haven't used it that much and got it in June. Will have to keep an eye.

So the Griot's polisher is better than the PC?

Flash Gordon
12-21-2011, 01:10 PM
This is funny. I was using my PC yesterday with my DA carpet brush and noticed it bogging down on speed 4 or 5 with light pressure. Then I smelt something funny and it also felt hot. Haven't used it that much and got it in June. Will have to keep an eye.

So the Griot's polisher is better than the PC?

This has become a weekly thing it seems. I remember when the name Porter Cable stood for a quality product

Right now their about as popular as a turd in a punchbowl IMO

Get the Griots! Your gonna love it!!! :buffing:

Tundra_10
12-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Right now their about as popular as a turd in a punchbowl ! :buffing:

HAHAHA! I love the analogy! I am going to start using that! Sorry for stealing your funny comment flash! I wont use it on the thread, I will let you keep it for yourself here!