PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone scratch removal?

RFulmer
12-20-2011, 02:55 PM
I have a few shallow scratches on the screen off my smartphone. Has anyone ever successfully removed these with polish?

Tundra_10
12-20-2011, 03:55 PM
^^ funny you posted this. I was going to try this on a friends phone the other day... she didn't trust me enough to let me try it. I don't blame her lol.

LegacyGT
12-20-2011, 04:02 PM
I have seen a full thread on a guy wet-sanding and polishing out the back of his iPhone ... I'll try to find it again.

edit- here it is: [DIY] Restoring an Iphone ( Front and Back) - MacRumors Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=871308)

RFulmer
12-20-2011, 04:55 PM
I have seen a full thread on a guy wet-sanding and polishing out the back of his iPhone ... I'll try to find it again.

edit- here it is: [DIY] Restoring an Iphone ( Front and Back) - MacRumors Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=871308)

Thanks, I have an android and the back is fine (always been in a case) but I haven't had anything on the front and it isn't cracked, just some mild/small scratches here and there.

I thought maybe they could be polished out?

richy
12-20-2011, 07:09 PM
When I read about Avi's new Ceriglass, this is one of the first applications I thought about.

FUNX650
12-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks, I have an android and the back is fine (always been in a case) but I haven't had anything on the front and it isn't cracked, just some mild/small scratches here and there.

I thought maybe they could be polished out?

Most screens for smart phones, laptops, and even TV's, are now using Corning's "Gorilla Glass". Don't know if your particular Android has it or not. (If it was made since 2006, it probably has it.).

If so:

From their web-site:

CHARACTERISTICS

Corning® Gorilla® Glass provides exceptional performance and protection, with distinct advantages over other materials.

Damage resistance: Gorilla Glass is chemically strengthened through an ion-exchange process that creates a deep compression layer on the surface of the glass substrate. This layer acts as “armor” to reduce the introduction of flaws by end users.

Thinner form factor: Depending on application and manufacturer specifications, Gorilla Glass can be produced in thicknesses ranging from 0.5 mm to 2 mm. Even at 0.5 mm, Gorilla Glass retains a performance advantage over other cover materials.

Unparalleled surface quality: Corning’s proprietary fusion process gives Gorilla Glass the same superior surface as all of our high-technology display substrates. This extraordinarily precise, highly automated process produces glass with exceptionally clean, smooth, flat surfaces and outstanding optical clarity.

Compliance with environmental standards: Gorilla Glass is compliant with the Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive (RoHS).

Compatibility with touch screens: Gorilla Glass is an ideal cover sheet for touch screens. It’s tough enough to handle the surface pressures intrinsic to these devices, and exceptionally thin to enable more sensitive and accurate responses.

Easy-to-clean, wear-resistant coating: Customers can request Gorilla Glass with a special coating, making it easier to clean than other cover glasses – a perfect feature for touch devices.

The unique composition of Gorilla Glass creates a much deeper compression layer than other strengthened glasses.

NOTE:
If interested........I suggest contacting Corning for their input on polishing scratches out of their "Gorilla Glass"....It's pretty durable, but also very thin.

CORNING® GORILLA® GLASS | INNOVATING WITH GORILLA (http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/innovating-with-gorilla)

Corning Incorporated
One Riverfront Plaza
Corning, NY 14831 USA
Email: gorillaglass@corning.com

:)

Bob

rider9195
12-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Most screens for smart phones, laptops, and even TV's, are now using Corning's "Gorilla Glass". Don't know if your particular Android has it or not. (If it was made since 2006, it probably has it.).

If so:

From their web-site:

CHARACTERISTICS

Corning® Gorilla® Glass provides exceptional performance and protection, with distinct advantages over other materials.

Damage resistance: Gorilla Glass is chemically strengthened through an ion-exchange process that creates a deep compression layer on the surface of the glass substrate. This layer acts as “armor” to reduce the introduction of flaws by end users.

Thinner form factor: Depending on application and manufacturer specifications, Gorilla Glass can be produced in thicknesses ranging from 0.5 mm to 2 mm. Even at 0.5 mm, Gorilla Glass retains a performance advantage over other cover materials.

Unparalleled surface quality: Corning’s proprietary fusion process gives Gorilla Glass the same superior surface as all of our high-technology display substrates. This extraordinarily precise, highly automated process produces glass with exceptionally clean, smooth, flat surfaces and outstanding optical clarity.

Compliance with environmental standards: Gorilla Glass is compliant with the Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive (RoHS).

Compatibility with touch screens: Gorilla Glass is an ideal cover sheet for touch screens. It’s tough enough to handle the surface pressures intrinsic to these devices, and exceptionally thin to enable more sensitive and accurate responses.

Easy-to-clean, wear-resistant coating: Customers can request Gorilla Glass with a special coating, making it easier to clean than other cover glasses – a perfect feature for touch devices.

The unique composition of Gorilla Glass creates a much deeper compression layer than other strengthened glasses.

I suggest contacting Corning for their input on polishing scratches out of their "Gorilla Glass"....It's pretty durable, but also very thin.

If interested...Here's their contact info:
CORNING® GORILLA® GLASS | INNOVATING WITH GORILLA (http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/innovating-with-gorilla)

Corning Incorporated
One Riverfront Plaza
Corning, NY 14831 USA
Email: gorillaglass@corning.com

:)

Bob

Bob, your posts are always very detailed and informative! :dblthumb2:

Dan Metzler
12-20-2011, 10:40 PM
When I read about Avi's new Ceriglass, this is one of the first applications I thought about.

Don't try it. I think it was a little overkill for my BB screen as it induced more scratches. Used Pinny ASR to clear it up and LSP was 845.

sohail99
12-20-2011, 11:29 PM
I had polished and applied cquartz to my galaxy s2's gorrilla glass screen and then after a few days added a screen guard film just to be on the safer side!

Unfortunately, the screen guard that came in the mail was matte finish and was spoiling the joy of super AMOLED display, so I polished the matte screenguard to a really glossy finish using M105 and M205 and then I maintain it with different waxes and sealants!

I really like WG dgps 3.0 on it! Makes it really slick and easy to operate the touch screen! + is quite resistant to smudges and fingerprints! :D