PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about buying Auction Cars?

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
12-20-2011, 03:10 AM
Ive come to the point where i'd really like to upgrade my ride. Ive thought heavily about getting a van, but have opted out for the idea of an SUV that i can tow a trailer behind. That way when i'm not working, ill be able to detach the trailer and just have a regular vehicle.

Ive been thinking about seeing if i can get a deal on one at an auction, but i have NO clue how to get into them and also don't know a lot about what the risks are and why they are sold for so cheap.

I live in Arizona, if anyone has any info or experiences they'd like to share, id love to hear.

thanks all :dblthumb2:

PAR Detailing
12-20-2011, 04:46 AM
First most major auctions you need a dealers license. They have some small Public auctions throughout the nation though. That would be where you would have to go. Some cars are sent to the auction because they just can't sell it and need their money out of it, others they dump it because it has a major issue. If you find a public auction look at the online preview of what will be going through. If you see something that you like PM me and I can tell you what black book says it's worth and I will run an auto check for you to tell you if it has any accidents or red flags. Some cars you will have seven days to return it if there's an issue, those might be the ones to look for. Drive it a lot in that first week to see if you feel anything suspicious.

DavidJ021
12-20-2011, 05:17 AM
I know of friends that buy cars from public auctions before and did not have any issues with there vehicles. I think it's fine as long as you do a full thorough inspection and look through the history of the vehicle you plan to purchase.

mdb917
12-20-2011, 08:12 AM
As PAR pointed out for most of the bigger auctions you'll need a Dealer's License to gain entry. Some of smaller auctions may let you view but even then you may still need the license in order to purchase a vehicle.

There is a small dealership here and I've gone to the auctions a number of times with them so I could drive vehicles back for them. You will have to know a LOT about cars to buy at an auction. The ONLY thing you can do is start them (that may vary by auction yard). You are not allowed to move the vehicle at all. If that gives you enough information to decide to purchase a car then that's great but it is a risk when you can't even drive the car. At least to me. Are there deals? Oh yeah! Great ones if you know enough about cars to make that decision.

Good Luck and let us know what route you go.

Porsche Pilot
12-20-2011, 09:41 AM
If you have any friends in the dealer business, see if they will let you have access to the Manheim auction listings. At least you can get an idea of what the vehicles are going for in the current market.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
12-20-2011, 11:11 AM
First most major auctions you need a dealers license. They have some small Public auctions throughout the nation though. That would be where you would have to go. Some cars are sent to the auction because they just can't sell it and need their money out of it, others they dump it because it has a major issue. If you find a public auction look at the online preview of what will be going through. If you see something that you like PM me and I can tell you what black book says it's worth and I will run an auto check for you to tell you if it has any accidents or red flags. Some cars you will have seven days to return it if there's an issue, those might be the ones to look for. Drive it a lot in that first week to see if you feel anything suspicious.

A 7 day return would be idea. I appreciate you letting me PM you to get info if i find anything. How would i go about finding something online that would allow me to view whats going up for sale?

I know of friends that buy cars from public auctions before and did not have any issues with there vehicles. I think it's fine as long as you do a full thorough inspection and look through the history of the vehicle you plan to purchase.

Well it looks like my buddy Jon will help me with that :)

If you have any friends in the dealer business, see if they will let you have access to the Manheim auction listings. At least you can get an idea of what the vehicles are going for in the current market.

I have a mechanic buddy, we're pretty tight...if i get something that has a 7 day i'll probably take it to him and have him go through it...if something is wrong and its not too expensive to fix, illjust have him do it...if it is too much i'll return it. He has a friend that runs a used car dealership, i might see if i can get in touch w/him.

I just wonder what Tahoes are going for at auction's

Tundra_10
12-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Not sure if you want something this big but I know that you can get u-hauls for dirt cheap and since AZ is the mecca of u-haul that might be something to look into.

The only problem is... have you ever driven a u-haul? I have and I know people beat the crap out of those things. However, you can buy box trucks for 3 or 4 grand. Not a lot of investment for a big truck. Repairs will be huge $$ as I think a lot of those box trucks use allison transmissions. Anyway, just wanted to throw that idea out there so you do not make a purchase and think "aw shoot! wish I would have thought about that!", I do that kind of stuff all the time! haha!

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
12-21-2011, 01:17 AM
Not sure if you want something this big but I know that you can get u-hauls for dirt cheap and since AZ is the mecca of u-haul that might be something to look into.

The only problem is... have you ever driven a u-haul? I have and I know people beat the crap out of those things. However, you can buy box trucks for 3 or 4 grand. Not a lot of investment for a big truck. Repairs will be huge $$ as I think a lot of those box trucks use allison transmissions. Anyway, just wanted to throw that idea out there so you do not make a purchase and think "aw shoot! wish I would have thought about that!", I do that kind of stuff all the time! haha!

lol NOT EVEN considering that. I want something i can use for work but something i can cruise around in also. Appreciate the thought but i want something cool looking for days im just cruisin, but something that is eye catching and can haul what i need it to for days im working :dblthumb2:

time_to_shine
12-21-2011, 10:37 AM

This is a good start. Also some small lots or whole sellers will take you to auction on a guest pass. If you find something and are the winning bidder you pay the auction buyer fees and pay the dealer a flat to buy using thier lisc. most charge $500-$1000 and auction fee range from $50-$400. But as mention in earlier post there is a lot to know about auction buying. tips and trick of spotting paint work which most on this site should be able to spot. Some dealer juice the a/c before running vehicles looking for blow by are just scratching the surface (no pun intended). I've been in the Auto industry (dealership) for 11years and started with a used car lot, which you had to have some body shopand mechanic knowledge. If a franchise dealer sends a car to auction its a better chance of being a better vehicle then if a whole in the wall independant sends a vehicle or whole seller. Always best to look for a vehicle under factory warranty. I have alot more input if need be IM with any questions. Hope this helps

FUNX650
12-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Make sure you are able to "get-in" to the auction corral well before the auction begins...The day before if possible!!

Also, along with what others have suggested, you'll find an electronic paint thickness gauge (EPTG) will become your new best friend.

:)

Bob

PAR Detailing
12-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Give me the year make and model of a hot prospect and I'll pull a Manheim MMR report telling you what that car is bringing at the big boy auctions.

time_to_shine
12-21-2011, 04:30 PM
On the Manheim Market Report you can select good, average or below average condition its not as detailed as the kbb or NADA questions. Good rule of thumb to use if you can't get on MMR is you look up a vehicle and input the info on KBB select trade-in fair condition even if it is good or better than that. most real number or ACV (actual cash value) a dealer will place on a trade will be a number between fair and good on KBB trade. just a little FYI