PDA

View Full Version : Wax stains on black trim

Buck91
12-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Well I'll spare you the details of why, suffice it to say I screwed up and got LOTS of Meguiars Ultimate Paste Wax on the black trim on my brand new 2012 Mustang is very visible and even more stubborn white staining. I've tried various QD, ONR, other waxes, car washes, Meg's #39 and simple green without success. I've had a recommendation to try the "Mr Clean Magic Eraser" which I'm about to try next wash if an isopropyl wipe doesn't do the trick. Can anybody provide a recommendation that I haven't tried? Any chance something as simple as using dish soap will solve it or maybe going with a product thats supposed to restore black trim?

scrubs147
12-19-2011, 09:15 PM
I've used "Forever Black" with good success. It has a dye in it.

Setec Astronomy
12-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Well I'll spare you the details of why...

Yeah, I know why, because you wanted to make sure you had plenty of protection on the car...for future reference, after you buff off your wax the layer on there will be only molecules thick, so you don't need to put much on there, just make sure you have an even coat.

You will need to dissolve that residue with either an All Purpose Cleaner (APC), like the simple green you already used, or with a solvent. There are specific products made for this purpose Duragloss Wax Eraser (WE) #481 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-wax-eraser.html) . If you use an APC like your Simple Green (some have advocated a caustic like Eagle One A2Z, which is available at your local stores), you may need to agitate the surface. Use a VERY soft brush (like a toothbrush) or a soft towel and be GENTLE. If you mar the surface of your textured trim there will be no way to restore it. Whatever you do, try it on a small section first and LET IT DRY before you decide whether it has worked or not.

alko
12-19-2011, 09:18 PM
I've used this with quite a bit of luck. You may have to agitate with a toothbrush but its worked for me.

Duragloss Wax Eraser (WE) #481 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-wax-eraser.html)

D.Acker
12-19-2011, 09:21 PM
I've found just a plain white eraser works well.

ShaunD
12-19-2011, 09:26 PM
Welcome to AGO and sorry it's because you have an issue with your new car.:(
I would suggest diluting some IPA to a ratio of 15%-30% IPA to water. Spray directly onto the trim and scrub with a medium bristle brush using mild pressure. Just to be safe, and minimize the amount of re-waxing you will have to do to the paint, wipe the IPA solution off the paint immediately; you can even mask the area around where you are applying IPA.
Another option, and something you may have on-hand, or be able to buy locally, is a pre-wax polish enhancer/paint cleansing lotion. I have used cleansing lotion on the plastic housing of my side mirrors with great results and no whitening occurring. It should help and is safer for the paint (at least the wax) than IPA.
There are some other great product made just for this purpose on AutoGeek.net, like Pre Black Wow. That said, Black Wow is a good trim treatment, along with 303, OPT Opti-Bond, Ultima Tire/Trim Guard, CarPro PERL, Sonus Trim/Engine Kote, and a few others that you may find or others will name later.:)

mbkite
12-19-2011, 09:27 PM
peanut butter will work too.

andrew b
12-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Klasse All-in-One will often take wax stains off trim, and it's safe for them (and your paint)....one reason why I used it for so long for my cars - no worry about getting it on trim, or chrome or glass.

But it will take it off, might give it a shot.

Visitor92014
12-19-2011, 10:56 PM
Magic Eraser works wonders on the black trim IME.

gus_ngl
12-20-2011, 12:36 AM
one day i was having a simillar problem with wolfgang deep sealant 3.0 on plastic trims , i use detergent with a sponge to remove it ! ( it works for me) , after that i use some of meguiars godl class trim restorer and thats it :D

peanut butter will work too.

really?