PDA

View Full Version : Griot's or Flex?

Pages : [1] 2

Badboyztn
12-19-2011, 08:52 PM
I am about to purchase my first polisher and was wondering if the Flex 3401 would be too much to start with? I know there are several threads comparing and asking maybe the same thing. My options would be the Griot's 6" and 3" or the Flex? If the Flex isn't too harsh for a noob, I would rather purchase the Flex and be done. Any advice would be appreciated.

tw33k2514
12-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Buy the Griots and spend the extra money on pads and product.

RFulmer
12-19-2011, 10:15 PM
I already had a PC and recently bought a GG6". The GG seems a lot more powerful than my PC.

I thought about getting a Flex but couldn't justify the 3x cost over the GG since I'm only using it on my personal cars, it's not like I'm doing this for a living and need to get done as quickly as possible.

I like having nice stuff, but sometimes I have to justify the cost of a nicer item by the amount of use it's going to get. My PC has sit for years between uses and I would hate seeing a Flex sitting there on the shelf between polish jobs.

toycar18
12-19-2011, 10:33 PM
I bought a Flex and I'm glad I didn't get the GG. Much better quality, lightweight, powerful, quieter. I think it would be fine for beginner if you take the time to learn and understand polishing. Watch videos, spent month on here, get Mike's "TheArt of Detailing Book." The flex will correct faster than GG.

I am the type I would rather buy the best so I don't have to upgrade later.

rwright
12-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Buy the Griots and spend the extra money on pads and product.

X2. Even though I don't do this for a living, my Griot's has delivered for every job.

Toycar18, you must have a rare Flex 3401 because every one I've heard was obnoxious.

Dugdug
12-19-2011, 11:46 PM
I asked this same question... I went with the GG and havent looked back. Got me the LC pad kit and am set... I love it

Dugdug
12-19-2011, 11:51 PM
If the Flex isn't too harsh for a noob

If you a noob, any DA is fine. PC GG flex whatever, they're all easy to learn. The GG works amazingly for me.... and I did A LOT of research and asking questions around here before I decided to go with GG. I'm happy with my decision and Ive already covered my cost (polisher,pads,product).

Don't be afraid to invest in pads and product.... it's worth it.

RFulmer
12-20-2011, 12:00 AM
Don't be afraid to invest in pads and product.... it's worth it.

This is true. Each car will take different polish and pad combo's to get good results. I started off with an orange and white pad and one swirl remover polish and one finish polish. Quickly did I learn that this was fine for one car but wouldn't finish out at all on another. And, only having one of each color pad isn't practical at all.

I now have several polishes and my delivery of pads will be here tomorrow....about 6 of each color Im the MANNow I'm ready to :buffing:

Marc08EX
12-20-2011, 12:11 AM
I would say the second generation PC's such as the GG6 or g110v2 will tackle any job. They have enough power to remove severe and heavy defects provided with the right liquids and pads. With the recent introduction of the Meg's Microfiber system, it makes these D/a's even more powerful.

Think of the Flex 3401 as a luxury item. Yeah it will correct a little faster and heavier defects because of its forced rotation feature. You also get a better built polisher but at the expense of a shorter warranty period. Like what Flex said, it's the Mercedes Benz of polishers.

If you have the extra cash, then you can get te Flex but you really don't have to. The GG6 or the G110v2 will perform close to the Flex 3401. Like someone here said, just use the difference on buying some pads and polishes.

Hope this helps.

Badboyztn
12-20-2011, 01:20 AM
Thanks everyone for the input... I have been trolling this site for a while and have picked up some great tips. I have also watched a ton of video on youtube. I think I have decided...

VISITOR
12-20-2011, 03:24 AM
IMO everyone should own at least one DA like the GG6, G110v2, or PCXP. get the GG6 now if money is an issue and get the flex later down the line....

Bunky
12-20-2011, 06:42 AM
X2. Even though I don't do this for a living, my Griot's has delivered for every job.

Toycar18, you must have a rare Flex 3401 because every one I've heard was obnoxious.

And the GG's is quieter? The flex has a gear like sound. The GG has a typical higher pitched sound to me.

05xrunner
12-20-2011, 07:47 AM
I had both..and the Flex is gone..Buy the GG and get yourself the microfiber system and some low profile Hydrotech 5.5" and you will be very very pleased.

Mike Phillips
12-20-2011, 08:45 AM
I think I have decided...

And your decision is?

:D

Badboyztn
12-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Lol, okay this may sound strange!!! Well i'm in the championship game of my Fantasy football league this Sunday.

1) Win=very nice payoff=Flex
2) Lose=nice payoff=GG

That was the plan when I went to bed last night. Seeing some of the comments this morning, it will probably be GG regardless. Seems like there are many of you that are pleased with the performance. I would like to have the Mercedes, but I will settle for the Camry!!!