PDA

View Full Version : Wine Connoisseur's?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Tundra_10
12-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Thought it would be kind of cool to see what everyone likes as far as different wines go. I am always trying new bottles and impulse buy if they have cool-looking labels or funny names.

I am by no means an expert however I do enjoy a nice glass every once in a while and am always looking for those great wines that do not cost a lot.

That being said...

If you like Olive Garden they have a fantastic house wine. I prefer their red over the others, its called Principato red. Its not very expensive and the taste is awesome. The only problem is if you want to buy a bottle and go you have to let them open it at the restaurant.

Macaroni Grill too has a great house wine, I prefer their chianti. What is nice about Macaroni Grill wines is they are available at liquor stores and its really cheap. I think its about $8 for 1.5 liters.

I have a moscato kick going on right now, its a little more of a sweet wine but chilled and with some cheese and crackers... ahh what a nice little snack. I do not have a brand preference to that yet as I am just starting to drink it. I have yet to find an expensive bottle.

If any of you are new to wine or like a sweeter/ desert wine you should check out the old firehouse winery. Its a winery up in Geneva, Oh. They will ship to some states and their prices are very reasonable. I highly recommend "fire house red", that was the wine that got me to start to be able to palate old grapes.

Anyway, please share your experiences especially if you have found great bargains because I love trying new wines and especially now that its getting colder a nice glass is a good way to warm up a little!

Setec Astronomy
12-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Hey man, this is a car forum, if you're going to start talking about wine and cheese, we're going to have to start talking about apples and beef jerky and then before you know it, we'll have anarchy...cats and dogs, sleeping together...

NoleFan
12-19-2011, 06:15 PM
The only wine I can handle is Moscato. My favorite is one that Olive Garden has: Castello del Poggio Moscato. Olive Garden's house wine is wonderfull too.

elk42
12-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Tundra i shop for wines in the $13-$14 range with high point totals from Wine Spectator or Wine Advocate. My wife is big into the Spanish wines and i prefer Italian but really just put it in front of me and i'll try it. It depends simply on what you like. If you like dry wines or sweet. If you prefer reds or whites. good luck. its a good change of pace from beer but beer is the best!!

Bacon
12-19-2011, 06:24 PM
I love a great glass of classic wine!!...I am currently enjoying the many varieties of Malbic. The Wine Enthusiast is a great resource. Here's a great "go to" wine at a ridiculous price, Leese Fitch Cabernet Sauvignon 2009. Glad to see there is another connoisseur here.

In addition, I have also stated to appreciate the wonders of a classic Cigar. Slowly building a collection of great cigars. In fact, I was lucky enough to add true Cubans to my collection.

I must admit, although the Wine and Cigar geeks are extreme in their tasting and preferences, the AG Geeks are still "way over the top"!

Thanks for bringing this thread up!

elk42
12-19-2011, 06:27 PM
Malbec wines are great. Try Lan Rioja if you get a chance. Its about $12. Cigars go for a Macanudo.

Rav777
12-19-2011, 06:33 PM
I love wine! Luckily we have a Wine Country up here in Temecula close to where I live.

Right now I have been into the Old Vine Zinfandels or any Zin in particular.

BobbyG
12-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon...

ShaunD
12-19-2011, 06:50 PM
+1 on Old Vine Zins. Just started drinking them in the past 6 months since, and the one that caught my eye and got me started on them was Gnarly Head. It is a great American compromise IMO to Brunelllo di Montalcino since the cheapest Brunellos I have found local are over $45 a bottle. I got spoiled living in Sicily for three years. I only have two bottles of Brunello di Montalcino left from my collection I brought back with me in 2003: a 1998 Castel Giocondo and a 1998 Castello Banfi. Both should be ready to drink in 2012! Can't wait! Until then it's the much cheaper Old Vine Zins.

Meticulous-Detail
12-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Cake Bread is my favorite wine. I like Bolla, Kendall Jackson, Woodbridge, Turning Leaf, and few others. Cake Bread Merlot is out of this world.

ShaunD
12-19-2011, 06:56 PM
I used to be more into the Cab Sauv, but after trying some Virginia Cabernet Franc I started enjoying them much more for my pallet. It is nice be able to get it local as well and support the state I live in.
Also a fan of South African reds like Shiraz/Pinotage Blend from Sebeka, and Herding Cats Merlot/Pinotage. Also, Shot Fire, from Australia is a great Barossa Shiraz; generally a fan of Shiraz.

JonMiles
12-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon...

Great choice, have you tried the Silver Oak Napa Cab by chance? One of the best i've tried.

BobbyG
12-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Great choice, have you tried the Silver Oak Napa Cab by chance? One of the best i've tried.

No I haven't but I will now!! :props:

I really like Cab's and another one that stands out is Chimney Rock Cabernet Sauvignon.

ProMoDe
12-19-2011, 07:11 PM
+1 on chimney rock cab. Cab's are my favorite. Muscato has been very popular around here lately.

TLMitchell
12-19-2011, 07:28 PM
If any of you are new to wine or like a sweeter/ desert wine you should check out the old firehouse winery. Its a winery up in Geneva, Oh. They will ship to some states and their prices are very reasonable. I highly recommend "fire house red", that was the wine that got me to start to be able to palate old grapes.

I live about 30 miles from there and have been many times, never sampled the wine though. You could get blasted in that neighborhood just visiting the wineries! Since I'm usually on a bike when I'm around the lake I usually abstain. Pity.

About the only thing I'm particularly partial to is B&G Vouvray. Slightly sweet and superb with cheeses or cheese dressings. :xyxthumbs:

TL

BumWine.com (http://bumwine.com/) <--- Night Train Express & Richard's Wild Irish Rose are thrifty choices as well