PDA

View Full Version : Windshield problem..

Pages : [1] 2

12-19-2011, 05:31 PM
My windshield was getting pretty annoying with all the minor wiper streaks and scratches over the years. Used an XP, M205, white pad and did the drivers side only...In the day time it looks perfect but in night its horrible, haloing EVERYWHERE!

What did I do wrong? I researched and saw other people using the same products but with a more aggressive pad. How do I fix this?

Flash Gordon
12-19-2011, 05:34 PM
My windshield was getting pretty annoying with all the minor wiper streaks and scratches over the years. Used an XP, M105, white pad and did the drivers side only...In the day time it looks perfect but in night its horrible, haloing EVERYWHERE!

What did I do wrong? I researched and saw other people using the same products but with a more aggressive pad. How do I fix this?

Try following up with 205 and a black pad

Be carefull not to get the glass to hot

Mike Phillips
12-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Products like M105 "can" be tried to remove topical defects like water spots but most paint compounds and actually zero paint compounds that I know of and have tried are aggressive enough to remove things like scratches and scuffs in the glass.

There's a new glass polish called Ceriglass (http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-ceriglass-polish.html) that we carry, give that a try but note best results when trying to remove defects that are in the glass, not just on the glass require a rotary buffer for bet results.

There's a huge difference between defects laying or bonded "on" the glass and defects like scratches and scuffs that are actually in the glass as in below the surface level.

Glass is difficult to work on because glass is hard and not very polishable...

:)

tw33k2514
12-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Did you notice these holograms at night before you used m105/white?

Because I generally do not need a second step when doing glass.

12-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Try following up with 205 and a black pad

Be carefull not to get the glass to hot

I mean I used M205 *edited in my 1st post!*

12-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Did you notice these holograms at night before you used m105/white?

Because I generally do not need a second step when doing glass.

No it was NOT like this before, the whole windshield is covered in minor scratches now

Setec Astronomy
12-19-2011, 05:49 PM
I think you probably have some oily polish residue on your glass, M205 has a lot of oily lubricants in it. You need to use some good glass cleaner and some clean towels (turned/changed frequently), or some APC if that doesn't work.

Setec Astronomy
12-19-2011, 05:50 PM
No it was NOT like this before, the whole windshield is covered in minor scratches now

Wait a minute, is it "haloing" or "scratches"?

tw33k2514
12-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Sounds like you got something stuck between the pad and the glass. Before I polish glass I always clean the glass very well with glass cleaner, then I clay the glass, and then clean it again.

12-19-2011, 10:47 PM
glass was clayed, cleaned with stoner's and used a fresh pad. I cleaned with stoners again.

the glass is almost hazy at night but looks fine during the day.

john b
12-20-2011, 12:19 AM
i would get the ceriglass with cutting and polishing pads[glass pads] and give that a whirl.sometimes when polishing glass you will find stuff you didnt know was there.also check out cee dogs review on the ceriglass

jfelbab
12-20-2011, 12:22 AM
Some vehicle glass is factory coated with a permanant water repellant treatment from the factory. Is it possible that you have partially removed or scratched some of this coating?

If this is the case, you might want to hit it with a more aggressive polish to remove all of the coating.

BobbyG
12-20-2011, 06:45 AM
Even though you've cleaned the glass I'm willing to bet there is still left over contamination and residue from the polish you used.

You ca try Isopropyl Alcohol and a clean cloth and even some Acetone to dissolve the haze. Glass is hard, very hard so the likelihood of you damaging it is nearly 0.

Another product I've used with amazing results and success is Detailer’s Pro Series High Performance Glass Restorer.

Detailer’s Pro Series High Performance Glass Restorer when used with my Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher and a white pad works wonders at returning the glass to sparkling clear.

Once I'm finished with this I clean the glass twice with Meguiar's Glass Cleaner and a Microfiber Waffle Glass Towel.

DP High Performance Glass Restorer removes etched water spots from auto glass and restores perfect clarity. Apply with a polisher or applicator for (http://www.autogeek.net/dp515.html)

Bunky
12-20-2011, 06:51 AM
Detailer’s Pro Series High Performance Glass Restorer[/B].

Detailer’s Pro Series High Performance Glass Restorer when used with my Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher and a white pad works wonders at returning the glass to sparkling clear.

I have not had much luck with the DP product. I tried Poorboys Pro Polish 2 and it seemed to have more cut than the DP.

I just wonder someone could get the glass that hot when you think in the summer, the glass is very hot to the touch.

BobbyG
12-20-2011, 07:07 AM
I have not had much luck with the DP product. I tried Poorboys Pro Polish 2 and it seemed to have more cut than the DP.

I just wonder someone could get the glass that hot when you think in the summer, the glass is very hot to the touch.

I don't know Al. They'd have to intentionally let the pad spin in one spot for quite a while to generate enough sufficient friction but anythings possible..