PDA

View Full Version : Can ONR be used on very dirty cars?

MaxWax
12-19-2011, 08:57 AM
The other day I bought a trailer for my detailing company. Because regular washing uses so much water and often I don't have access to free flowing water I was thinking about washing with ONR but I didn't think I could use it on very dirty cars without damaging the paint. What are all the other mobile detailers on here doing to conserve water?

Rez90
12-19-2011, 09:51 AM
I won't use it on a really dirty car. Running water FTW.

BobbyG
12-19-2011, 09:53 AM
For your reading pleasure..

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23602-how-dirty-too-dirty-safely-use-rinseless-wash.html

alko
12-19-2011, 09:55 AM
BobbyG beat me to it.

TroyScherer
12-19-2011, 09:55 AM
For your reading pleasure..

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23602-how-dirty-too-dirty-safely-use-rinseless-wash.html

:iagree:
It really depends on your definition of "really dirty"...

FUNX650
12-19-2011, 10:01 AM
The other day I bought a trailer for my detailing company. Because regular washing uses so much water and often I don't have access to free flowing water I was thinking about washing with ONR but I didn't think I could use it on very dirty cars without damaging the paint. What are all the other mobile detailers on here doing to conserve water?

Maybe these articles will provide the info you're looking for. They did for me. Hope the same for you!:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23645-difference-between-normal-car-wash-waterless-car-wash-rinseless-car-wash-spray-detailer.html

QUICK EDIT:
OOOPS...BobbyG was a step or two ahead of my post. Sorry for the redundancy.

:)

Bob

Chris Thomas
12-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Really dirty, yes...using common sense. Precautions include: remove any caked on mud/debris with a pre rinse and use more cleaning passes instead of more pressure to clean each panel. If it's just dirty and not "muddy" then yes ONR is a viable option. You can even presoak the car with ONR solution in a sprayer for more safety.

AeroCleanse
12-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Really dirty, yes...using common sense. Precautions include: remove any caked on mud/debris with a pre rinse and use more cleaning passes instead of more pressure to clean each panel. If it's just dirty and not "muddy" then yes ONR is a viable option. You can even presoak the car with ONR solution in a sprayer for more safety.

It does take off mud, just save those areas for last and let the ONR soak in, might take more passes.

I'm talking about mud around the lower areas, if the whole thing is covered in mud.......

Shawn T.
12-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Use common sense. Experiment and see what works.

CroftgateUSA Wash and Wax is also a good rinseless wash especially for dirty cars.

Bunky
12-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Optimum has stated you can wash using ONR just like a traditional soap 2 bucket method so the question would be if hosing down as a pre-rinse and then using the traditional two bucket method using ONR would be perceived as safe as a traditional soap. I would say 1z Perls closer to this method.

The advantage of using ONR in this manner is that you do not need to do the flood rinse technique to sheet off water plus the added gloss left behind.

tw33k2514
12-19-2011, 01:49 PM
In the winter my truck gets pretty nasty. The trick is to take it to your local self serve car wash and rinse off all the road crap before you take it home and ONR it.

SameGuy
12-19-2011, 01:52 PM
I was pondering the same thing this morning. It's above freezing for the first time in a few days and I want to wash our cars, but they are both caked with dried road snot -- salting season started a while ago, but with no snow the road construction continues, leading to a lot of dust and mud plastering the panels on rainy days. It was 55° on Friday but I was at work; below freezing all weekend.

I plan to break out the PW to power off the layers of cake, then do a pre-soak with my little plant sprayer and a regular-strength ONR mix, then a normal 2BM ONR.

This should work, right?