PDA

View Full Version : Claying to remove old LSP

mwtaco
12-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Hi
Currently, the vehicle has several coats of C845 applied at intervals over the last few months.

In the interest of time, would this work to prep for a new application of LSP?
1. Rinseless Wash
2. Clay

Will this prep the paint well enough for good adhesion of sealant/wax?

Thanks.

SeaJay's
12-19-2011, 08:05 AM
Yes, that should remove the LSP.

alko
12-19-2011, 08:13 AM
When I tried to remove my LSP by claying and then washing again with a mix of dawn and Meg's GC shampoo, my LSP still remained. I used Griot's Garage Paint Prep and I will stand by this product. Make sure you wash your windows after rinsing this product off.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/42503-aww-shucks-review-time.html

mwtaco
12-19-2011, 08:21 AM
thx guys. i know there are many better ways to approach it, but it's cold here. i'm willing to compromise.

Mike Phillips
12-19-2011, 08:24 AM
There's also a section on removing old wax by claying in this article,

How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html)

Claying to remove Wax or Paint Sealant
On the topic of using detailing clay to remove previously applied wax or paint sealant instead of chemically stripping the paint with IPA, MS or a product specifically formulated for chemically stripping wax or paint sealant off paint, here are my comments for what they're worth...

Detailing Clay is a type of polymer clay, think of a high-tech Play-Doh. What give detailing clay it's ability to remove Above Surface Bonded Contaminants is that detailing clay contains abrasives in the mix and the quantity and aggressiveness level of the abrasives can be varied to create either an Ultra Fine clay or an Aggressive clay.

The way clay works is the abrasives act to abrade off any particulates sitting on the top surface of the paint, kind of like sandpaper would only a LOT more gentle and safe to the finish, when the clay is rubbed over paint with a lubricant.

The question of whether detailing clay will in-fact remove previously applied coats of wax or paint sealant off the paint is a great question but there is no simple definitive answer because there are too many variables involved, such as,

Type of clay - Level of Aggressiveness or Non-aggressiveness
How many passes made over each square inch of paint
Downward pressure used by the person using the clay
Amount of lubricant used
Skill level of person doing the claying
Type of protection ingredients bonded to the surface

Those are just off the top of my head but probably include most meaningful factors...

The Big Picture
Instead of focusing on all the factors that determine if claying removes wax or paint sealant or not lets look at the big picture.

Rubbing clay over paint doesn't "add" more wax or paint sealant to the surface.

Question: What's the opposite of adding?

Answer: Subtracting or removing.
So at a minimum, if you clay your car's finish, then in the big picture there's probably less wax or paint sealant on the surface than before you started. Make sense?

Is all the wax or paint sealant removed? Probably not as paint is not totally flat, under a microscope the surface of paint has hills and valleys, pockets, pores and pinholes, and what we call interstices, which means microscopic cracks and fissures.

Since the clay is only going to touch the upper surface of the paint and it's going to be gliding it over it, it's not likely that claying removes 100% of everything bonded to the paint, but it's completely logical that some portion of the wax coating or paint sealant is being removed.

Claying shouldn't be counted on as a best practice for removing wax or paint sealant when there are better ways that are more effective.

The point about claying and wax removal is that anytime you clay your car's paint, BECAUSE the potential exists to remove any previously applied wax or paint sealant, then it's a good "Best Practice" to at a minimum, re-apply a coating of wax or paint sealant to the clayed area to replace an replenish a coating of protection.

Thanks to my friend John aka Perfections for suggesting I includes the topic of claying as it relates to removing previously applied wax or paint sealant as this topic mingles its way into the topic of the bigger topic of using a solvent to chemically strip paint.

:xyxthumbs:

:)

alko
12-19-2011, 08:24 AM
thx guys. i know there are many better ways to approach it, but it's cold here. i'm willing to compromise.

Some have applied the Griot's Garage Paint Prep like a QD, spray on and wipe off. I think you'll be fine that way.

elk42
12-19-2011, 08:39 AM
quick question. can P21S paint cleanser or Wolfgang Polish enhancer remove LSP? I am assuming it could.

mwtaco
12-19-2011, 09:23 AM
There's also a section on removing old wax by claying in this article,

:)

Makes complete sense. Thanks, Mike. (I thought there would already be an answer around here, but my search failed to turn it up)

Some have applied the Griot's Garage Paint Prep like a QD, spray on and wipe off. I think you'll be fine that way.

Sounds like a good idea.

mwtaco
12-19-2011, 10:21 PM

maybe not. (my highlights and font size changes)

Excerpt from Mike Phillips' link above:

Griot's Garage Paint Prep (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-paint-prep.html)
Formulated to remove previously applied waxes, silicones and oils either before doing any correction work with compounds and polishes, or before application of wax or paint sealant.

Both of these products are sometimes recommended for stripping paint, but both manufacturers recommend that after applying these products, the paint should be rinsed with water to remove any residues. As such, they are not spray-on and then wipe-off products.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/images/statusicon/wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2.http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/../gallery/data/997/GriotsGaragePaintStrippers001.jpg

umi000
12-19-2011, 10:54 PM
quick question. can P21S paint cleanser or Wolfgang Polish enhancer remove LSP? I am assuming it could.

Yes, they should.