PDA

View Full Version : care care regime...

canonite
12-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Feed back please

k, just a bit on my previous regime.. when I first bought my car (5 yrs ago).. it was washed every week.. and slowly, it became a montly issue..then once in 2~3 months (all these while, I carry out the washing myself).. and in the last 2 years.. every six months when my car was sent to the dealers for servicing (the washing was done by the dealers)..

since the prices of cars in Singapore is ridiculously high, and I probably can't afford to get another car right now, I am trying to take back the 'ownership' of cleaning and maintaining the exterior my car..

right now, I am intending to do the following ..

1. wash - simple green automotive wash(may switch to other car shampoo when it runs out)

2. clay - with meg's QD and a japanese clay bar (intending to get the Meg's clay kit) it's been years since i did the last one

3. Meg's UC - i have water spots on the hood and top of the car (i took car of the spots on the boot previously) and minor swirls (i think it's minor)

4. Meg's UP (i do not have it yet) or Autoglym SRP/Meg's SwirlX (i have these 2)

5. Meg's cleaner wax ?? (is this step necessary?)

6. TW PUG paste wax

i am working by hand and do not have access to a DA ( would love to get the meg's G220 V2 DA, but I do not have a power source available). My question would be :

a. am i using the correct stuff for step 4? UP, SwirlX or AG SRP?

b. if i were to get meg's #21 sealant, which step should it be after? I have AG EGP on hand and might use it till it runs out (both are sealants yes?)

c. is step 5 (cleaner wax) necessary or should i substitute this step with something else

on the mf portion , i think i pretty much got it covered.. meg's supreme shine, water magnet, TW mf detailing and cleaning cloths, AG hi tech finishing cloth, Sonax, 3M detailing cloth (the old yellow one and some newer scotch brite 'high performance dusting cloth' which has the same look and feel as the old detailing cloth; i find it removes wax and polished pretty easily) all in all, i have about 20 pieces of cloth for one single car..

i'm a recent convert to meg's after using the UC for blending in my 2000 grit sandpaper marks.. i have quite a bit of paint chips on the front of the car , and I've been 'touching' them up with a paint pen, and wet sanding the high spots with 1500/2000 grit. takes me 2-3 passes with UC and a fair bit of passion, but it really makes the sanding spots disappear!

after i get the body done up nicely, I will start to look into getting the rims and wheels looking good too..

tw33k2514
12-18-2011, 11:13 PM
Feed back please
a. am i using the correct stuff for step 4? UP, SwirlX or AG SRP?

Yes, UP or SwirlX should work great. I am not familier with the AG lineup so I do not know about that one however.

b. if i were to get meg's #21 sealant, which step should it be after? I have AG EGP on hand and might use it till it runs out (both are sealants yes?)

You would do this after UP or swirlX (whichever you choose)

c. is step 5 (cleaner wax) necessary or should i substitute this step with something else

Since you are using UC and UP/SwirlX you do not need this step at all.

on the mf portion , i think i pretty much got it covered.. meg's supreme shine, water magnet, TW mf detailing and cleaning cloths, AG hi tech finishing cloth, Sonax, 3M detailing cloth (the old yellow one and some newer scotch brite 'high performance dusting cloth' which has the same look and feel as the old detailing cloth; i find it removes wax and polished pretty easily) all in all, i have about 20 pieces of cloth for one single car..

Sounds like your all set here

Answers in red :buffing:

canonite
12-22-2011, 12:47 AM
thanks Ben!

BobbyG
12-22-2011, 05:48 AM
Ben's pretty much nailed it so the only thing you need now is to get started!! :props:

canonite
12-23-2011, 01:47 AM
Ben's pretty much nailed it so the only thing you need now is to get started!! :props:

not until my car gets serviced on 27th! i'd hate to see my work go to waste.. while i do not expect "show car shine", i do want to bring back some 'life' into the car..