PDA

View Full Version : I'm not so sure about CarPro Eraser...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

WRAPT C5Z06
12-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Sure, it's nice to have a RTU, pre-mixed solution that smells good, BUT, at 30%-50% IPA, that WILL swell your paint. That's just too much IPA. Those of you that use 91% IPA, that's beyond me! :eek: Thoughts?

tw33k2514
12-18-2011, 02:53 PM
I'm no scientist, but wouldn't it take a lot of exposure over a long time to effect the paint in any serious way?

WRAPT C5Z06
12-18-2011, 02:57 PM
I'm no scientist, but wouldn't it take a lot of exposure over a long time to effect the paint in any serious way?
Swelling happens instantaneously. You most likely are swelling the paint when polishing due to friction. It's unavoidable at times. However, I wouldn't want to use any product that would intentionally swell the paint thereafter. The swelling will go down, just like a bump or bruise.

Rsurfer
12-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Are you saying that Eraser has 30-50% alcohol? I would not be concerned with the 30
% ratio, but 50% maybe. I say maybe because I've used 70% and 91% neat for years with no problems.
Sure, it's nice to have a RTU, pre-mixed solution that smells good, BUT, at 30%-50% IPA, that WILL swell your paint. That's just too much IPA. Those of you that use 91% IPA, that's beyond me! :eek: Thoughts?

Dr Oldz
12-18-2011, 03:25 PM
I agree with you, Mark. I don't and won't use it. I think there are safer and much cheaper ways to clean paint.

LegacyGT
12-18-2011, 03:35 PM
I am a happy Eraser user, not going to change anytime soon unless there are some fact based reasons to change with significant proof behind them.

WRAPT C5Z06
12-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Are you saying that Eraser has 30-50% alcohol? I would not be concerned with the 30
% ratio, but 50% maybe. I say maybe because I've used 70% and 91% neat for years with no problems.
The MSDS states < 30%. I remember Avi saying 30%-50%. The problem with IPA swelling the paint is, once the "swelling" goes down, even a few days later, you're likely to see the true condition of the paint. It's been said 85rd has this effect, solvents in it swell the paint initially, then a few days later, haze appears.

Twister
12-18-2011, 03:55 PM
The MSDS states < 30%. I remember Avi saying 30%-50%. The problem with IPA swelling the paint is, once the "swelling" goes down, even a few days later, you're likely to see the true condition of the paint. It's been said 85rd has this effect, solvents in it swell the paint initially, then a few days later, haze appears.

Haze from what? I've used PO85rd and never had an issue. Have you tried Eraser or just expressing concern?

WRAPT C5Z06
12-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Haze from what? I've used PO85rd and never had an issue. Have you tried Eraser or just expressing concern?
I have Eraser. I've been doing some research and have come to the conclusion that IPA <15&#37; will swell some paints. JMO. :)

Twister
12-18-2011, 04:07 PM
I have Eraser as well... So what would be the alternative to use since such a small amount of IPA will cause swelling.

WRAPT C5Z06
12-18-2011, 04:10 PM
I have Eraser as well... So what would be the alternative to use since such a small amount of IPA will cause swelling.
Honestly, I'm not sure if there there's anything out there? I really like Griot's Pre-Wax Cleaner, but I'm not positive what's in it. However, I know for a fact, it doesn't contain IPA.

Twister
12-18-2011, 04:15 PM
That's what I heard but I haven't seen anything posted saying what's in it.

I hate having to rewash to remove the polishing oils. What about top inspector?

Is swelling a big issue if it goes away? Are there any ill effects over long periods of time?

Blk5.0
12-18-2011, 04:26 PM

Is swelling a big issue if it goes away? Are there any ill effects over long periods of time?

With the ONR I find it not so bad to rewash the car. Though a pain but not as bad or as long as the old way

WRAPT C5Z06
12-18-2011, 04:30 PM

I don't think swelling has a long term affect on paint, but it will mask the true condition of the paint at that time. That's the only issue I have with it. As stated before, you can swell the paint just from polishing, but I wouldn't want to use a separate product that will intentionally swell the paint. Top Inspection is very grabby, IME. Griot's is my go to for now.

jreblackGT
12-18-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm certainly not as knowledgeable as many here but from Mike's articles I would be reluctant to go over a 10 or 11&#37; ipa solution. That's why I went with Griot's Prewax Cleaner for peace of mind and it works good for me too.