PDA

View Full Version : Used the ONR for the first time

Grimm
02-24-2007, 08:08 PM
I used the ONR and Shmitt today for the first time for both. I have to say it was a bit awkward and will take some getting used to. The Shmitt is rather bulky IMO. It worked fine, but it just doesn't get into a few of the nooks on my car as well as a sheepskin does. Like I couldn't get it under the ends of my spoiler. I actually did an initial test on the hood with the sheepskin, Shmitt, and a microfiber. I really didn't see any big difference between any of them in terms of function.

As far as the ONR, that will take some getting used to as well. I think part of the problem was the cars were so dirty with road salt. I had a few spots where the water dripped out, like the mirrors, and left nasty water spots. I did our truck next, and I think I was more in a hurry to get done, and it turned out pretty bad because I wasn't drying it so well, so that is something to pay attention to. I really can't comment on marring because my car wasn't perfect in that regard, and I think the Michigan winter really took it's toll in adding swirls before I even touched it. I really like having all the suds of a regular car wash, but I've got a gallon of this stuff, so I'll have to keep trying. I really think it will work fine in the spring/summer/fall months, but I really got it more for the winter months. I guess maybe I'll try spraying it at a coin op first the next time.

wytstang
02-24-2007, 09:00 PM
I feel the same way with the Shmitt as far as being a bit bulky (as is the wheel shmitt). I will give it more use but I don't think I will give up my sheep skin just yet. ONR is great to use during the summer is it's really hot and winter when it freezing. You need to do a panel at a time not try and do a whole side then try and dry it off. Wash a fender dry a fender. It takes some trys to get a new product working as intended. Grimm you may want to try and mix a ONR and H2O in a spray bottle to pretreat panels with salt on them (16oz bottle try 3oz ONR 13oz h2o mix).

froll
02-25-2007, 06:01 AM
I feel the same way with the Shmitt as far as being a bit bulky (as is the wheel shmitt). I will give it more use but I don't think I will give up my sheep skin just yet. ONR is great to use during the summer is it's really hot and winter when it freezing. You need to do a panel at a time not try and do a whole side then try and dry it off. Wash a fender dry a fender. It takes some trys to get a new product working as intended. Grimm you may want to try and mix a ONR and H2O in a spray bottle to pretreat panels with salt on them (16oz bottle try 3oz ONR 13oz h2o mix).

I've been using ONR for about 2 months now (approx 6 washes) and I think its great for the winter. I won't give up my foam gun but in the winter cold, ONR does the job. I TOTALLY agree with the spay bottle suggestion. It's a great pre-treat. I use it no all the time regardless of how dirty.

Grimm
02-25-2007, 01:38 PM
I did put some in a spray bottle to presoak. Next time I think I'll try the weed sprayer as my trigger finger was getting sore. I also made sure to do a small area like the top half of a door, etc. I really think maybe the problem might be the temperature. It was nice, up into the 30's last week, but dropped back down into the 20's with wind yesterday, so I think it was harder to get it dried well. The car turned out fine, just had some spots like below the mirrors that had water leak out when I moved it, and dried with terrible white water spots. I didn't think about it, so I didn't see them until I moved it back in the garage after washing the truck. The truck just turned out bad because I was wanting to finish up, and just went to fast not drying it adequately. But I knew we were getting hit with more snow today, so I wasn't worried about getting them perfect either.

One other thing I didn't care for was seeing my MF's get so dirty. But I washed them all later, presoaking in a solution of Spray N Wash, and was pleasantly surprised to see how clean they came out, including my white WW from Walmart.

TjMonsen5
02-26-2007, 11:09 AM
im not sure if i could trust ONR on my own car, i just cant imagine not rinsing off my car. Does the car end up looking the same as if you washed it normally?

Grimm
02-26-2007, 11:38 AM
I couldn't see anything different from when I washed with regular soap. But I still had some swirls that I hadn't gotten out last fall as well as whatever our Michigan winter has added, so I'll be waiting until I polish it again in a few weeks before I comment on whether the ONR adds any swirls. As I said, it just seemed weird and will take some getting used to.