PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn Windshield Smear

Jaddie
12-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Dear Friends

I'm counting on your help with educating me about how to clean my mother's windshield on her ’99 Malibu.

There's some sort of stubborn smearing on her windshield that follows the paths of her windshield wipers.

Allow me to tell you what didn't get rid of the smearing:

Four cleanings with waterless wash
Two cleanings with Rain-X aerosol cleaner
Four cleanings with Palmolive dishwashing detergent
Three or four cleanings with Windex

The smearing is a little better after all that work, but it's not gone.

My uncle had taken her car to a self-service car wash and used the wax on it, but surely that stuff wouldn't stand up to the cleaning assault I described above.

I have some Optimum All-Purpose Cleaner that I haven't used yet. Maybe you folks can let me know if I should try that.

I have my father-in-law's ancient Karcher 1400-psi electric pressure washer to try on it later today.

I don't know what could have created such a stubborn smear, so I hope you experienced detailers can help me solve the problem.

Thank you.

CEE DOG
12-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Hi Jaddie, is it for sure a smear? Does it just wipe back and forth when you try to remove it? Is it most certainly on the exterior?

Sure thing, OPC should knock it out. Just spray into a towel rather than letting any splatter onto your paint.

Have any eraser or IPA? That should do it as well.

If that doesn't work a quick polish will kill it quick whatever it is.

Flash Gordon
12-18-2011, 10:22 AM
I have a customer with a new Cadillac I'm having the same problem with. The streak is neither on the outside or the inside. Its embetted into the glass

She is suppose to to tell the dealer on her first checkup and see what gives

Jaddie
12-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Dear Corey & Flash

Gee, I hope my mother's smear isn't embedded into the glass. This windshield distortion is a recent phenomenon.

It's not a true smear in the context you're describing, Corey. It looks like something the windshield wipers smeared, but it doesn't move when I clean it. If it's still there after I work on it today, I'll try to get a picture to show you.

Thanks a bunch for responding. I'll hit it with some Optimum All Purpose Cleaner this afternoon. I have some Eraser coming on Tuesday, and I do have a bottle of rubbing alcohol that I can try. Believe it or not, I don't own any polish. I have the Elastrofoam block and lube, but I was afraid I might damage her windshield permanently if I used that.

Thanks again for responding.

AeroCleanse
12-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Could try claying it

BobbyG
12-18-2011, 10:50 AM
When the source is unknown generally a thorough cleaning beginning with a all purpose cleaner then a good quality glass cleaner is sufficient.

Claying is another great suggestion as it will remove any debris stuck to the glass.

Detailer’s Pro Series High Performance Glass Restorer when used with my Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher and a white pad works wonders at returning the glass to sparkling clear.

DP High Performance Glass Restorer removes etched water spots from auto glass and restores perfect clarity. Apply with a polisher or applicator for (http://www.autogeek.net/dp515.html)

Jaddie
12-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Dear Bobby

Thanks for responding.

Now I wish I'd bought some of the Glass Restorer when I placed a big order last week. I put it in my cart so it'll be ready when the next sale happens.

So if the all-purpose cleaner doesn't work, I'll try the Elastrofoam block. And if that doesn't work, I'll figure out how to get the Glass Restorer.

DARK HORSE
12-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Jadie, I would recommend claying the windshield then polishing it with a compound. If you have m105 and a cyan HT pad this would be a great combo. If not, use whatever compound you do have and an orange pad. I polish glass all the time with this combo. While it won't remove scratches, it will do an awesome job cleaning, removing water spots, and removing most gunk (like you described above). Be sure to work the glass in small sections and move the DA polisher slow, just like you were compounding paint. If using a rotary, remember that it will generate much more heat, and proceed accordingly. After polishing, be sure to clean glass again thoroughly. I spray IPA on the windshield and use a glass cleaning MF to remove the polish residue. Try it you will like it...:xyxthumbs:

alko
12-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Jaddie...I'm having the same issue with some staining on my windows. I've washed, cleaned with Eagle One...tried alcohol, and then tried Stoners. I still have the smearing on the windshield.

Nick recommended some DP High Performance Glass Restorer, as did BobbyG. I should be getting this in on Tuesday but won't get a chance to use it until next weekend. You will want to think about an applicator for this. I picked up Wolfgang German Polish N’ Wax Applicator has two sides of premium foam in one awesome applicator! (http://www.autogeek.net/german-applicator-pad.html)

Or use BobbyG's method.

Once all is said and done, you may want to consider changing the wiper blades as to not recontaminate the windshield. Good Luck!

tuscarora dave
12-18-2011, 11:23 AM
I would tape off the surrounding trim and then polish the glass with a polisher and a body shop safe polish or compound. Either M-105 or 205 works well. Then use your glass cleaner to remove any polishing oils and you'll be good to go. I do this on every full detail that I do and it gets the windshield perfectly clean.

mark58
12-18-2011, 11:39 AM
How old are the wipers? I would also replace windshield wipers. I know down south where you don't get the rains that we do you will get all kinds of road and car exhaust oils on the wipers. Hard to keep them clean.
just my 2 cents

DARK HORSE
12-18-2011, 12:03 PM
How old are the wipers? I would also replace windshield wipers. I know down south where you don't get the rains that we do you will get all kinds of road and car exhaust oils on the wipers. Hard to keep them clean.
just my 2 cents

:iagree:Definitely replace them after you get the windshield to where you are happy with it...

datminator
03-28-2016, 08:00 PM
To those all whose looking for permanent solution I found out your answer :) just wash the window with "Easy-Off Oven Cleaner Heavy Duty Trigger Spray" twice. and make sure it only touches your windshield just to be safe. And rinse it a lot. Mine looks like straight out of manufacturer now.