PDA

View Full Version : hard and soft paint problem

robert1955
12-17-2011, 01:27 AM
Michael:

I ran into a problem today with my wife's black Mercedes. The trunk and hood have been painted and the rest of the car is factory single stage 040 black. I used my Porter Cable and 6 inch pad soft blue to star out with Woft Gang swirl remover and follow with the glaze. speed setting between 4 & 5 . primed my pad and put the machine on the surface to spread some product around. After buffing about 6 passes. I went to a new micro fiber pad to remove the product. It was very had to remove , same happened with the 3.0 glaze. Is this becasue the paint is harder and I need to steep up to a more aggressive pad or because the paint is not fully cured. I hope I did not do any damage?
I found the Wolf Gang fusion wax also had to take off?
Bob Beco

BobbyG
12-17-2011, 07:17 AM
Michael:

I ran into a problem today with my wife's black Mercedes. The trunk and hood have been painted and the rest of the car is factory single stage 040 black.

I used my Porter Cable and 6 inch pad soft blue to star out with Woft Gang swirl remover and follow with the glaze. speed setting between 4 & 5 . primed my pad and put the machine on the surface to spread some product around. After buffing about 6 passes. I went to a new micro fiber pad to remove the product.

It was very had to remove , same happened with the 3.0 glaze. Is this because the paint is harder and I need to steep up to a more aggressive pad or because the paint is not fully cured. I hope I did not do any damage?

I found the Wolf Gang fusion wax also had to take off?

Bob Beco

Hi Bob

After using a correction product such as compound or polish I always wash it off to evaluate my progress. Trying to remove it with a Microfiber pad will most likely impart additional defects.

Always begin with a test spot and a lesser aggressive product then determine the next course of action.

Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 is a fairly aggressive product and works well with an Orange or White pad. This product will remove swirls and surface defects up to 2000 grit.

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 is a nice polish that provides a superior shine when used with a White or Gray foam pad. Using this will a blue pad is not out of the question either. What this product and pad combination achieves is removing finer defects than Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover is capable of.

After completing a section wash it with soap and water to dissolve any remaining compound or polish in order to evaluate your progress. Once satisfied with the correction proceed to the next step which could be a glaze, sealant, or wax.

Naturally, there are products available to clean the finish after polishing but most compounds and polishes these days are water soluble. Many times I'll use a power washer to thoroughly clean the finish after correcting and prior to sealing and waxing..

Wolfgang Fuzion is a gorgeous wax and is a wipe on wipe off meaning it doesn't or shouldn't haze prior to buffing. Do one panel at a time and when finished move on to the next. I've never had a problem using this wax..

Ron Atchison
12-17-2011, 09:05 AM
The intended purpose of the MF pads is not to remove product. You should have used them prior to using the blue pad. Sounds like maybe you sort of worked the products too long causing them to be bonded to the paint. I have used the WG twins before and had no problem wiping them off. I also used Fuzion yesterday and really didn't notice much difference in taking it off using either method(got ahead of myself). Both wiped off without much effort using a rolled edge MF towel.

embolism
12-17-2011, 11:45 AM
when you say microfiber pad I'm picturing something that doesn't sound like it should be used for that purpose. Are you removing these polishes/fuzion by hand?

is it possible to post pictures of the equipment (not the pc or blue pad) you are using? What temp are you working at?

Blue pad is very soft and it's possible that a lot of the polish is being absorbed. Your single stage paint might also be absorbing some of the oils, leaving less to lubricate so 6 passes on a normal base/cc system for a given amount of polish may be too much for a single stage system. Haven't used the twins but they are made by Menz which imo have a long buffing cycle.

Try using a black pad with the finishing glaze and use a bit more polish than you have been using per cycle. Stop once you see the polish go clear then wipe off. It should not be dry.

That you are having problems removing fuzion rings alarm bells for me. stuff is not hard to remove at all