PDA

View Full Version : Places to buy trim pieces

cpa5oh
12-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Anybody know of a place to get replacement black rubber and plastic trim pieces?

This may not be the place to ask this question, but I know with my car (2002 Camaro SS, black) I can get the paint where I want it (thanks to the products sold and advice given here.) The trim, though, not so much. Some of it can be dressed and made to look good (wiper cowl, t-top rubber) but other parts of it are beyond being dressed (door belt weatherstipping, little quarter sail panels, the belt weatherstripping under the little quarter sale panels, the black trim around the windshield and rear glass.) I figured maybe you guys have come across black trim that there was nothing you could do with other than to recommend to the owner that he get new trim and therefore may know where to get such items. (I searched the internet for the last hour and came up with very little...)

Tundra_10
12-17-2011, 07:09 AM
Just an idea but if its a part or item that is not readily available to the public I would see if you could contact a body shop to see if they can locate some aftermarket parts for you. You could always go to the junkyard but I fear you will come up with the same piece in the same condition you have right now. It would be nice to be able to experiment with a piece with some sort of dye?

cpa5oh
12-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Just an idea but if its a part or item that is not readily available to the public I would see if you could contact a body shop to see if they can locate some aftermarket parts for you. You could always go to the junkyard but I fear you will come up with the same piece in the same condition you have right now. It would be nice to be able to experiment with a piece with some sort of dye?

I thought about that...I guess I have come to assume that everything that is available in an industry is available to us all now (because of the internet.) I should have figured that wasn't the case in this area when I spent an hour searching and finding nothing. I actually have a body man friend, I'll check with him about where to get aftermarket trim parts.

(My search did turn up some of the corniest looking 'trim' pieces you could imagine...chrome fender stripping, louvres...can't imagine who buys that stuff.

Tundra_10
12-17-2011, 09:13 AM
^^ Unfortunately if there is a product, there is a buyer haha! The only problem with aftermarket pieces is I have heard they do not have the same fit and finish quality that the OEM does. The plus side is they are generally much less expensive.

Ron Atchison
12-17-2011, 09:15 AM
(My search did turn up some of the corniest looking 'trim' pieces you could imagine...chrome fender stripping, louvres...can't imagine who buys that stuff.

Snoop Dog :D j/k

Try year one. They sell enough stuff to actually build the whole car. If you have trouble finding it there should be a link on the My Classic Car website.

dougaross
12-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Try Rock Auto
Lift Support
Outside Door Handle
Outside Mirror
Outside Mirror Glass
Parking Lamp Assembly
Stone Deflector
Trunk Lock
Turn Signal Lamp Assembly
Weatherstrip Kit

ShaunD
12-17-2011, 10:42 AM
+1 for Year One and checking the Speed shows' sites. Also, check out Classic Industries. Looks like they have a good bit of the gaskets/weather stripping you may need/want, if not I would maybe try to call them; or the other companies that deal with specifically Camaros. If you post pics of the condition of the parts that are in question the forum may be able to better direct you on refurbishing said parts and dressing/protecting them or new parts.:)

slickooz
12-17-2011, 10:53 AM
You should plasti dip your trims. Found this on youtube. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqzP_OAEOqs]Plasti Dip Tutorial - YouTube[/video]

Perfect girl. :drool:

Tundra_10
12-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Is it just me or is that lip piercing thing switching sides from clip to clip. Either way... lol what was she doing again?

Twister
12-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Check LS1tech. Usually someone parts out cars and you can find replacement parts. Our cars are pretty old and the parts have been discontinued. I have found some new OEM parts on eBay. Gene at GM Parts House has done some looking for me also since he can check the database of dealers around the country.

I have some extra parts here. Let me see what I've got too. I don't think I've got trim parts but I might.

BillyJack
12-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Have you checked at a dealer yet?

Bill

cpa5oh
12-17-2011, 11:30 PM
I've not tried any dealers yet...I guess I figured they wouldn't have anything on a 10 year old car.

Plasti-dip is an interesting option...the link put up here led me to other videos and then a google search for reviews on people who've used it for this purpose. Definitely looks like it could work - nobody talks about durability in any of the reviews (beyond a few months.)

Looking into the Plasti-dip led me to gloss black (or matte black) vynil film: 6 Year Intermediate Vinyl Adhesive Sheet (http://www.topvinylfilms.com/products/Intermediate_Vinyl_6_Year-2-3.html) I don't know how cheesy that would or wouldn't look...I may give it try. Like Plasti-dip, it can *pretty much* be peeled off if it doesn't work right.

Trim gone bad really takes away from a car's look...doesn't seem like a real good solution has been come up for it. A thin tape or film specially made for going over trim (without looking cheap) I'd think would sell pretty well.

And I think the trim sections of my car that are struggling are beyond what any dressing can do...around the windows is a hard plastic or metal that looks to have been painted and the window belt weatherstripping looks like painted rubber - both are missing paint.

Twister
12-18-2011, 02:03 AM
The plastic by the b-pillars can be polished back to like new. The plastic cowl can be dyed. I pulled mine and dyed it back to black.

The part I have a problem with is the trim around the front windshield and rear window. Both are weathered on my car. The front should be fixable by polishing but I haven't gotten to it yet. The rear will be more tricky because it's a different rubbery material