PDA

View Full Version : Foam Gun Assembly question

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
12-16-2011, 10:44 PM
I dont consider myself to be a stupid person, but i just got my foam gun, and it has this little 'tab' looking thing that is labeled as a 'foam deflector' and i can't figure for the life of me where the little sucker attaches....someone want to help the mentally impaired guy here?

VISITOR
12-16-2011, 11:56 PM
i wouldn't even bother with the little black deflector, use the long foam nozzle and it will snap on the front of the foam gun...

umi000
12-17-2011, 12:03 AM
It's an alternate attachment in place of the foaming head - agree with BigAl3, I just left it in the box and have never needed to use it.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
12-17-2011, 12:17 AM
Ah ok, i thought so but wasn't sure. I tried it for the first time today with some Megs Wash and Wax (just as a try out). Didn't really get as much foam as i wanted, more like soapy water lol. I added about 2 inches of soap in the bottle and filled the rest with water. I tried all the settings and adjusting the screw up top also, but still never really got foam. Do i just need to add more soap or ?

VISITOR
12-17-2011, 12:28 AM
whatever you do, DO NOT lose the screws on the top of the foam gun and on the end of the sliding bar. make sure to tighten them if need be every so often. if you lose them, you'll be screwed and it will be more of a inconvience to find a few, let alone having to pay shipping for something that small...

pickles
12-17-2011, 12:30 AM
Threw the little deflector out.As far as soap goes put the adjustment piece all the way to the left of the gun and make sure it's locked in place with the holes facing straight up.I only ever use about a quarter to a half of an inch of soap w water.Once you put the water in and screw the bottle on shake it up a bit.

SonOfOC
12-17-2011, 12:32 AM
That sounds like a lot of soap. I add 2-3 ounces of soap, fill with water and slowly mix it in circular motion. Decent foam with Meg Gold, NXT, and Poorboy SSS. Excellent foam with DP Xtreme and CG Citrus.

You might want to play with that adjustment stick. It took me a while before it started to spit out good foam.

I favor the DP and CG cause you can get good foam without the high concentration that will strip the LSP.

VISITOR
12-17-2011, 12:45 AM
not all soaps are created equal in the foam gun no matter how much soap you use...

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
12-17-2011, 09:54 AM
not all soaps are created equal in the foam gun no matter how much soap you use...

Im starting to think that may be the issue here lol. I mean it still helped clean the car much faster, it wasn't filthy though. But i still want thicker foam. Might have to try some CG or DP...

pickles
12-17-2011, 10:26 AM

That's true.I've found that DP xtreme foam and Pinnacle bodywork shampoo produce the thickest foam.

Setec Astronomy
12-17-2011, 11:05 AM
Some people expect too much from the Gilmour. Also, your water pressure and water hardness effect how much foam you get out of the gun.

TLMitchell
12-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Some people expect too much from the Gilmour.

Eggzactly! You're not going to see anything approaching what you see folks doing with a pressure washer foamer.

TL

AM-PM
12-17-2011, 01:32 PM
I use Adam's car shampoo in my foam gun, but I don't add water. Just add soap screw on the jar and go. I have it on the smallest hole. Like you say it's no foam cannon but I get a nice lather.

Setec Astronomy
12-17-2011, 01:54 PM
I use Adam's car shampoo in my foam gun, but I don't add water. Just add soap screw on the jar and go. I have it on the smallest hole. Like you say it's no foam cannon but I get a nice lather.

It really depends on the viscosity of the shampoo. Something like Meg's Gold Class won't draw properly up the suction tube if you don't dilute it down. Thinner shampoos you can use undiluted as you do, sure makes things easier as far as not having to pre-mix and having each fill of the gun last longer.

daveCFPrez
12-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Hey guys:
If you have any, could you post pictures of your foam cannon set up on your pressure washer? I'm just wanting to know I'm going to put this together correct.

Also - can I use Griot's Garage car soap in my foam cannon, and if so how should I mix it? 2-3oz per gallon?

thanks in advance