PDA

View Full Version : Megs DA system on soft paint?

Pages : [1] 2

Kinalyx
12-16-2011, 11:51 AM
I was really excited to buy the megs DA system after all the rave reviews its been getting, but i completely forgot about it being more geared to harder paints.

I have a black 2005 GTO and as far as i know has incredibly soft paint. Did i make a mistake in buying the Megs DA system? The only car i really work on, at least as of now, is my own.

How much stronger is the MF + D300 over WG TSR on an orange pad(what i used for my last correction)

Any help would be great.

Shawn

alko
12-16-2011, 01:10 PM
I am not familiar with the GTO's paint but I did not like how the MF system was responding to my soft Acura/Honda paint. I stopped using it when I got to the panels. I used the Wolfgang twins and loved it. I am waiting to give the MF system another try on my dad's Chrysler 300. From what I've been reading on other people's posts about this, they've been using the D300 and then finishing down with a flat pad with another product. I wouldn't necessarily say you made a mistake...but you may want to give it a try and see for yourself. If you don't like how the D301 finishes down, switch to something else in your arsenal. Sounds like you can have a plan b just in case.

Marc08EX
12-16-2011, 01:22 PM
I don't think that the MF system was geared towards harder paint. It was geared for high volume detail shops where speed is important.

If you have soft paint with a lot of swirls/scratches then you can use the correction compound (d300) and if your paint is indeed soft then you'll get some micro-marring. You can use the finishing wax (d301) to clean up these micro-marring. That's what it's designed to do. You can also use other finishing polish such as M205, Menzerna 106FA, PO85RD, etc to follow up the initial compounding step. That shouldn't be a problem. If you have minor swirls/scratches you might even get away by using D301 as a 1 step polish.

You need to use a test spot to see what approach and products will work before you do your entire car.

05xrunner
12-16-2011, 01:29 PM
the MF system does not play well for finishing on my super soft black mustang paint. So far the best combo I have found for my paint is crimson hydrotech and 85RD

WRAPT C5Z06
12-16-2011, 01:35 PM
The MF cutting disc/M105 or D300 WILL dull/haze your paint. You can only see it on dark colors.

tw33k2514
12-16-2011, 01:48 PM
You didn't make a mistake. You just need to finish with something other than MF/D301.

I use MF/D300 on soft paint all the time. I then just finish it out with 106FA and a black pad on most cars.

Kinalyx
12-16-2011, 03:00 PM
I also have some GPS that i just bought, i heard it finishes really well with the MF polishing pad. I also have WG finishing glaze and a black CCS pad that i could finish with. I guess ill just see how i like it, if nothing else, i guess i could just see what anyone wants to trade for it on the samples thread.

Shawn

panthercz
12-16-2011, 03:44 PM
I did a test panel on a jet black BMW (very soft paint) using the Megs MF and it very easily removed swirls and scratches...but it left literally thousands of tick marks of its own.

For soft paint, I'd stick with foam pads but that's just my opinion.

Kinalyx
12-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Yeah, im starting to think i should send it back and not even try it. Its a $90 kit, if i open it and hate it, thats just wasted money.

Shawn

Indy YZF
12-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Finish with some M205 on a black/gray foam pad. Worked well on a car that wouldn't finish out good with the D301.

05xrunner
12-16-2011, 05:34 PM
the MF system is great for defect removal and ease of use..but on soft paint you still need foam to finish out.

Billy B
12-16-2011, 10:09 PM
For what it's worth I did a test spot on a Honda CRV just yesterday. This vehicle had awful car wash scratches and major cobweb scratches. I used Optimum GPS on an Optimum microfiber pad with the GG. This removed about 90% of the defects and left a very impressive finish

umi000
12-16-2011, 11:15 PM
This is why I didn't get the kit - only the cutting pads. I know my paint is rather soft, so I opted to go for foam pads to finish out.

Spiney
12-17-2011, 03:29 AM
Glad I found this thread. I'm a newbie and I was going to buy a GG polisher and the Meguiar's DA system. I have a 96 SVT Cobra Mustang that needs the swirls taken out. Being a newbie I don't know if it has hard or soft paint. Anyone know? it is black and seems to scratch easily. Thanks, Spiney-Dave

Meticulous-Detail
12-17-2011, 07:27 AM
I recently did an 11 Shelby with Megs DA MF cutting discs and D300, I then finished it out with M205 with a white foam pad and topped it with M#26. Came out awesome!