PDA

View Full Version : help with compounding haze

Pages : [1] 2

k20z3kid
02-24-2007, 04:43 PM
so here is my problem... i recently started using Optimum polish and compound. my car is generally in pretty good shape so i used optimum polish via pc and an orange lake country pad to get some scratches out. i got the scratches out fine, but now there are circular scratches that can really only be seen if you shine an led flashlight on it (this is my tool to see scratches lol.). i tried using optimum polish via white pad, and a grey pad. but there is no success. any pointers?

blkyukon
02-24-2007, 04:52 PM
so here is my problem... i recently started using Optimum polish and compound. my car is generally in pretty good shape so i used optimum polish via pc and an orange lake country pad to get some scratches out. i got the scratches out fine, but now there are circular scratches that can really only be seen if you shine an led flashlight on it (this is my tool to see scratches lol.). i tried using optimum polish via white pad, and a grey pad. but there is no success. any pointers?

Sounds like typical hazing....a finishing polish with a polishing pad will remove the hazing.

BILL
02-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Sounds like typical hazing....a finishing polish with a polishing pad will remove the hazing.

right on........;)

abrcrombe
02-24-2007, 06:15 PM
Sometimes you will need more than one pass to get the desired results. I would try OP on white again. Hopefully that works for you!

FloridaNative
02-24-2007, 06:48 PM
A finishing polish will take care of that hazing. Make sure to work the polish in long enough for it to break down properly. 5 minutes should do the trick. :) Good luck.

k20z3kid
02-24-2007, 06:50 PM
well from what i understand the optimum polish can be used as a finishing polish as long as the proper pad is used. so i figure a white pad with optimum polish should do the trick right? any suggestions on what speed to use with the pc?

thanks for all the help by the way. im new to the forums and they have already proven to be very helpful.

FloridaNative
02-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Spread polish on speed 3 and polish on speed 5. :)

Whitethunder46
02-24-2007, 07:02 PM
I have deep scratches on my Mustang. I had to order OC because XMT3 was not strong enough.

That said, I get A LOT of hazing/micromarring with yellow pad and OC. Even following w/ an orange pad and XMT2, the hazing is still somewhat there. It's really a PITA. I swear, scratches and swirls are a lot easier to get out then hazing, haha!

k20z3kid
02-25-2007, 09:24 PM
well i gave it another shot with the white pad and Optimum polish and no luck. would i be better off with an actual finishing polish?? anything i can pick up over the counter??

quantim0
02-25-2007, 09:38 PM
I get the best results on my car with OC/OP on speed 6 with a working time of at least 5 minutes.

k20z3kid
02-25-2007, 09:40 PM
I get the best results on my car with OC/OP on speed 6 with a working time of at least 5 minutes.

do you get 0 compounding haze? and how much pressure do you use? haha sorry for the questions. im just trying to get used to using optimums products because they work quite differently from what i understand.

quantim0
02-25-2007, 10:04 PM
My car has a pretty soft clear and mars easily. If I use OC/LC white then I get very minor marring, almost unnoticeable. OP/LC orange will finish down perfectly and remove 99% of my swirls. If I have to use OC anytime I always follow up with a pass of OP/LC white. I removes any fine hazing or micrmarring that is left over.

The good thing with Optimum is that you can work it almost forever. Just keep your pad well lubricated and you should have no prolbems. I use moderate pressure on my PC, butnot so much that the PC starts to bog down. You really need to experiment and find what works best with your paint. It took me a little bit of time to figure it all out.

k20z3kid
02-25-2007, 10:09 PM
yeah i have minimal marring, but it still drives me insane. haha i just want it gone. so quantim0... you are unable to get rid of all marring with optimum polish? because you said it gets it to the point where its almost unnoticeable.

quantim0
02-25-2007, 10:30 PM
OP takes care of any marring that I have. It finishes down perfect on a white or orange pad. Any time I use OC, no matter what pad, I always follow with OP/White to take care of marring from the OC.

BILL
02-26-2007, 08:15 AM
well i gave it another shot with the white pad and Optimum polish and no luck. would i be better off with an actual finishing polish?? anything i can pick up over the counter??

Is this the polish your using???
Optimum Polish is a swirl remover, finishing polish & paint cleaner in one for the optimum shine! swirl remover polish, fine grade polish, final (http://www.autogeek.net/opt400.html)