PDA

View Full Version : Foam Pad Design Differences???

Pages : [1] 2

ski2
12-15-2011, 11:29 AM
New to machine polishing--just recently picked up a GG6-plan to use 5.5" pads with the appropriate backing plate. Allot of information on this and other forums regarding how many pads, what color etc, but not much about which basic pad design is best for a newbie.

Which is best a curved edge or a straight edge?

Is it an advantage for a newbie to have pads where the velcro is recessed from the edge of the pad to avoid damage to surrounding paint?

Is it better for a beginner to have a thicker pad (1" or 1.25") or is a thinner pad (7/8") OK?

Some pads have a black barrier so they don't absorb as much product--is this really an advantage?

Does one 5" backing plate offer any advantage? Adams and Megs claim theirs is softer or should I just stick with a BP from whoever's pads I use?

Thanks!!

05xrunner
12-15-2011, 11:50 AM
low profile is better in terms of keeping your polisher spinning..less mass to spin means it can keep going under more pressure instead of bogging down..I always have just used Lake Country BP and never had any problems.

RFulmer
12-15-2011, 12:01 PM
I hope this thread sees some activity before I place my LC order

05xrunner
12-15-2011, 12:16 PM
low profile hydrotechs are my fav.

rwright
12-15-2011, 12:19 PM
If you're set on foam, my vote goes to lake country 5" backing plate, 4-6 each of cyan and tangerine low profile hydro tech pads, and 4-6 black pads. 5 1/2" pads

MedicBMC
12-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Don't mean to hijack here...

On softer paint which would be better to use for finishing.....HT crimson or flat black?

So far I really like the 7/8 HT pads....they're the way to go.

slickooz
12-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Which one are better CCS or flats? I'm about to place an big order.

rwright
12-15-2011, 12:36 PM
In my opinion for what it's worth, flat black. I used my crimson pads once and tossed them.

05xrunner
12-15-2011, 12:42 PM
Don't mean to hijack here...

On softer paint which would be better to use for finishing.....HT crimson or flat black?

So far I really like the 7/8 HT pads....they're the way to go.
ill tell you from experiance crimson pad with 85RD work great on super soft paint

rwright
12-15-2011, 12:42 PM
I can't speak for everyone, I personally like flat pads. The CCS pads will work. I just picked up 2 more crimson pads and will give them another chance.

RFulmer
12-15-2011, 01:29 PM
The crimson HT and 85rd is wonderful on soft paint. The black ccs soak up to much product for me. I plan to order a bunch of 5.5" flat and ht pads.

ski2
12-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Which one are better CCS or flats? I'm about to place an big order.

From what I've read on numerous posts the flat pads are much better with a RO as there is more pad/paint contact.

Ted S.
12-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Which is best a curved edge or a straight edge?

Some pads have a black barrier so they don't absorb as much product--is this really an advantage?

Thanks!!
I'd assume a curved edge wouldn't make a huge difference in performance, as the straight edge would have more contact with the paint only until it's worn.

Theoretically, a barrier would keep more product on the face of the pad, rather than any seeping through to the back.

Sorry my experience is lacking, I've only used CCS pads thus far.

RFulmer
12-15-2011, 02:44 PM
If you were going to get 3 different colors of flat pads ( not ht ) which colors would you get?

Ted S.
12-15-2011, 02:48 PM
If you were going to get 3 different colors of flat pads ( not ht ) which colors would you get?

Orange, black, and blue for compound, polish and wax (respectively).:xyxthumbs:

EDIT: Lake country flat pads...